• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fetus for ransom. Woman asks for $1 million, or she’ll abort

jojom

" An online offer to call off an abortion in exchange for $1 million has disgusted and fascinated people on both sides of the abortion debate.

The deal, described on a website, How much would you pay to stop an abortion? and written in an anonymous woman’s voice, accuses abortion opponents of caring more about oppressing women than saving fetuses.

Titled “How much would you pay to stop an abortion?” the writer challenges the nation’s “127 million Americans that identify as pro-life” to give less than a penny each to save an unborn child.

“I’ll keep none of the money for myself so if I am to be vilified in this process, it can’t be for that. If the one million dollar goal is not met by the end of those 72 hours, any and all donations received will be refunded and I will have an abortion that I have already scheduled for July 10th in my home state,” the post continues.
"

Fetus for ransom? Woman asks for $1 million, or she'll abort - Religion News Service

Seems like a good idea to me. *shrug*

jojom

ROTFLMAO

Now it is time for the pro-lifers to put up or shut up.

Wonder how many will put up?
Surely with all the preaching the pro-life does they can come up with a measly penny to preserve the sanctity of this one little life.....
I'm betting the pro-lifers don't net her $25,000

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
More deranged than the person who simply goes out and has an abortion?
Both are immoral, in my opinion, but this is even worse since she is holding her child for ransom in a cheap political show, which is a form of scandal. For example, if a woman feels pressured into an abortion due to dire financial straits, or is pushed into it by her significant other or employer or family, or has a health problem, etc. that's still horrible but there's probably still a certain amount of regret and shame involved, not making a spectacle out of it, in my opinion.

jojom

Both are immoral, in my opinion, but this is even worse since she is holding her child for ransom in a cheap political show, which is a form of scandal. For example, if a woman feels pressured into an abortion due to dire financial straits, or is pushed into it by her significant other or employer or family, or has a health problem, etc. that's still horrible but there's probably still a certain amount of regret and shame involved, not making a spectacle out of it, in my opinion.
Here's what I consider a cheap political show.

texas-lege-abortion-rally.jpg

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
Any more immoral than giving it up for adoption?
Would it be less immoral if the million dollars was to go the family that adopted it?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Any more immoral than giving it up for adoption?
Would it be less immoral if the million dollars was to go the family that adopted it?
No, giving a child up for adoption isn't immoral. It's sad, but not immoral. As for your second question, of course. That would be nice.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss
No, giving a child up for adoption isn't immoral. It's sad, but not immoral. As for your second question, of course. That would be nice.
So what is immoral about it?
You seem to be contradicting yourself.
The article flat out says she is not after the money and that if the million dollar ransom is met she would not be keeping it.
So where is the immorality?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So what is immoral about it?
You seem to be contradicting yourself.
The article flat out says she is not after the money and that if the million dollar ransom is met she would not be keeping it.
So where is the immorality?
I didn't read the article. Did she say the money would be going to an adoptive family?

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
I am very much in touch with the problems and flaws of the adoption process. In this case, I feel that allow the fetus to become a baby then placing it for adoption would be far less moral than aborting the fetus. The adopted baby would eventually learn of his/her adoption, and would want to know who the birth mother was. If and when the birth mother was found, the answer would be: "I didn't want you".

Ponder that.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I wouldn't give her a dime for the same reason I support the US government not ransoming terrorist kidnap victims.
It mostly will result in more victims, not less.
If there were a way to prosecute this idiot for extortion or something I donate to that, maybe.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I am very much in touch with the problems and flaws of the adoption process. In this case, I feel that allow the fetus to become a baby then placing it for adoption would be far less moral than aborting the fetus. The adopted baby would eventually learn of his/her adoption, and would want to know who the birth mother was. If and when the birth mother was found, the answer would be: "I didn't want you".

Ponder that.
Yes at least it would be the truth, where as there are so many children born from idiot parents that never wanted the child in the first place, and go through life pretending they are wanted, how many children are born from nothing more than a good time ?.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Ponder that.
So? My dad didn't want me or my mom, so what am I supposed to do? Kill myself over his ***?

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

Ponder that.
I'm adopted. Dosent personally affect me too much other than curiosity.