• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Exxon Mobil tries to bribe scientists

Booko

Deviled Hen
Well, here's an interesting bit of info buried in the business news:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A think tank partly funded by Exxon Mobil sent letters to scientists offering them up to $10,000 to critique findings in a major global warming study released Friday which found that global warming was real and likely caused by burning fossil fuels.

The American Enterprise Institute sent the letters to scientists offering them $10,000, plus travel and other expenses, to highlight the shortcomings in a report from the United Nation's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group widely considered to be the authority on climate change science.

Full article here.

Booko

Deviled Hen
Maize said:
Things like this is why we can't move public policy foward on this issue! :banghead3

It's the same thing with more fuel-efficient cars. The big money plants stories that are a full of lies as what tobacco companies were up to years ago. So we could be saving a LOT of money and our breath by driving plug in hybrids or straight up electric cars, but you won't be reading about that in the news.

I'm so reminded of the conspiracy between tire and auto makers back in the 60s to dismantle our public rail transport in favor of more roads so they could sell more buses and cars.

It doesn't help that we have so few journalists left, and are left with mere communications majors on the news.

The one positive thing that's happened is that documentaries have done well in the box office in the past few years, and people have figured out that's a good way to get a message out without interference from big money.

Bishka

Veteran Member
This bothers me so much. There was a geology professor I had about a year back who worked for Exxon-Mobill at one tie. He always said it was a bunch of phooey, and I never believe him.

Booko

Deviled Hen
beckysoup61 said:
This bothers me so much. There was a geology professor I had about a year back who worked for Exxon-Mobill at one tie. He always said it was a bunch of phooey, and I never believe him.

I remember back in the 70s my HS Physics teacher pooh poohing the idea that raising the average temperature of the Earth 3 degrees would make a difference. That was the first time I'd heard of the concept of greenhouse gases and global warming.

It didn't take me too long in the public library finding sources from real practicing scientists that discussed in clear terms what we knew about past climate shifts from ice cores and to figure out my Physics teacher was not up on the info on this topic.

Being a HS Physics teacher is worlds away from being an actual climatologist. Heck, I'm a chemist and have degrees up the yin yang and I know how out of my field it would be to make pronouncements as some sort of "expert" in climatology. Whatever I have to say is purely as a layman who's just been tracking the research for a few decades and is used to how science works.

Of course, this was also the HS Physics teacher who maintained that evolution couldn't have happened because it violates the Laws of Thermdynamics. For that to be true, the Earth would have to be a closed system. Well, darn, last time I looked, the sun was still pouring energy into our system. :areyoucra I had to cough to cover up the fact I was really laughing at what he said.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Booko said:

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- A think tank partly funded by Exxon Mobil sent letters to scientists offering them up to $10,000 to critique findings in a major global warming study released Friday which found that global warming was real and likely caused by burning fossil fuels.

The American Enterprise Institute sent the letters to scientists offering them $10,000, plus travel and other expenses, to highlight the shortcomings in a report from the United Nation's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, a group widely considered to be the authority on climate change science.

Full article here.

And you're surprised ?:rolleyes: Money talks...........

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
A scientist in the pocket of big oil, tobacco, big pharma? Who woulda thunk it?

Money corrupts.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Booko said:

Full article here.
I just logged on to post this story. Didn't know about it until Monsieur Colbert told me about it. :D

Well... worth bumping, and fruballing.

Booko

Deviled Hen
lilithu said:
I just logged on to post this story. Didn't know about it until Monsieur Colbert told me about it. :D

Haha, I had to laugh when he covered that in tonight's show.

It still amazes me how buried this story is. Only Colbert would dare to speak of it so openly.

It's pretty weird when you have to get the news on the faux news, eh?