• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

everyday sexism

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
It does deserve a plug and good for a place for these women to get it said.But just reading the first 5 or so post my heart sank....sigh...

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Oh my...yeah ..too many of them got me at "home" (my heart)..I thought things "mainstream" might be better and it was narrowing down or something like "right wing" conservatives mostly were the "offenders"..doesn't seem so..Makes my stomach turn.

Im the mother of all male children and they are awesome to women (I taught them well!) and the grandmother of one male child and I'm like his second mother...I taught him well..what I could..

I just had a grand baby daughter I fear all I can teach her is to "brace her self".

I'm saddened.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I realise it may be a less common and serious aspect, but men also are exposed to sexist crap. I get it on a daily basis at my office, despite my somewhat assertive responses to any such comments.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I realise it may be a less common and serious aspect, but men also are exposed to sexist crap. I get it on a daily basis at my office, despite my somewhat assertive responses to any such comments.

Me to. Doubly so because I argue for feminism too

Thank you for sharing this article from the Guardian- it is a site I frequent but somehow missed this. I felt particularly saddened by the women in Pakistan who was expected to hide her family abuse for the honor of her family. To be told to keep this within and make it your own problem sets up a very confused life.
Because we are on a religious forum I want to add an excerpt from the teaching The Age of Women from the New Message from God, which I found most inspiring.
"Slowly, over the past century in particular, women have been arising, representing the ascendancy of women in many cultures—not all cultures but many cultures. This is a natural evolution, as we have said. It must happen. And the human race will be far better for it. To hold women back and assign them domestic duties alone is a great mistake. It will deny the human family far greater resources that would be available otherwise.
The confusion about male and female roles, the masculine and the feminine, has led to a great retardation in human development and great abuse of people throughout the ages in many cultures. To limit women to child raising and domestic duties and minimal employment opportunities is a great mistake, and wherever that exists in any culture, that culture will suffer as a result. Until recently, in most societies in the world, women were considered to be simply the possession of men—a valuable possession, but a possession, something you could buy or sell or trade or destroy—and that is one of the reasons that human civilization has progressed so very slowly.
Why has it taken humanity so long to really make advancements? It is not simply energy and technology, the limits there, that have held you back. It is the restraint upon the roles of men and women. It is the weight of history and tradition. It is the expectations of children. So for a woman who is destined to become a provider within religion and spirituality, how will her talents ever be recognized in a culture that does not allow her to assume any roles within this context? And will she not suffer as a result of being unable to meet her culture’s expectations and demands?
There are many unhappy and dysfunctional people today around the world who have ended up in these conditions because their natural evolution has been stifled and repressed. And what cost to society to have dysfunctional people? What cost to society to have to pay the price of addiction and people’s many actions of self-destruction? What cost to society?
But the greater cost that has not been recognized is that these individuals have not been able to provide and to express their own purpose in being here and the gifts that would issue from this, which are not simply their personal creations but are actually gifts of spirit, gifts of God."

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

((((HUGS)))))

Just keep speaking up.I always just put up with that stuff "afraid" to offend anyone or be the "*****"..

Question_love_act

Humanist... "Animalist"?
Thank you for sharing! And I'm a teacher and sometimes I hear sexist comments in class! I will definitely read excerpts if I hear some comments again!

Horrorble

I'm not surprised she gets a lot of hate mail. I bet she also gets a lot of mansplaining mail.
The "oh you are just overreacting! As a man, let me break down what sexism actually is for you!" mail.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
((((HUGS)))))

Just keep speaking up.I always just put up with that stuff "afraid" to offend anyone or be the "*****"..

(((((hugs back))))))

At least it's not one-sided, it comes from men (eg grow a pair) and women (eg that's no wage for a man) alike. Fortunately I'm old enough and established enough in my employment to be 'rude' and say what I think of such krapp.