• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dungeons and Dragons

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Anyone else play? I'm wanting to DM eventually (esp. since we only really have one campaign going ATM and I'm not sure when someone else in our main group will DM, since they were expecting to follow after the campaign that's on hiatus), but for now I'm still getting used to the ruls, esp. in regards to me as a DM managing combat, etc.

Last session was Thursday night, before the 4th of July weekend. Went up against a CR9 (party level is about 7~), a morg, which paralyzed me for a while, though we had a Sorcerer that borrowed a Staff of Fire from our Pixie who was taking a break and pretty much did most of the killing in combat.

We're hopefully going to finish in a couple more and it might be temporarily on break for another campaign (perhaps mine?). Big bad is an Orc Necromancer, probably a CR 10 effectively, so we may have some issues, though it all depends on if we're going to backtrack through the other part of the citadel or just go to fight him now, in which case it might be 3 sessions until the end.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
I've played D&D since 1972. Only, it wasn't called D&D yet, it was...

Chainmail-1st-thumb.jpg

I have a lot of early AD&D books, but I've not updated anything past 2nd edition.

Kuzcotopia

If you can read this, you are as lucky as I am.
I too have been playing a long time (since '84), though my first rule book looked like this:

image.jpg

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Earliest memories were 3.0, though I've mostly gotten 3.5 books now, since 3.0 had issues I wasn't even aware of. Thankfully, I hadn't been told the nonsense about it being Satanic or the like (surprising, since I'm in the Bible Belt), but I've only recently (as in the last 6 months or so) gotten to actually playing and contemplating DMing. If I can get a Monster Manual I, it'd at least give me a solid foundation for reference.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I have a bit of experience with 2.0 and just a touch of 3.x. Recently I began to play D&D 5, and it is impressive. It really is an improvement over previous editions, IMO.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Pfft... no. I'm totally not a pen-and-paper gamer. Not at all. :D

In my experience, there are basically two types of pen-and-paper gamers:
1) Gamers. Individuals who, IMHO, would be better off playing a darned video game because their focus is on hack-and-slash; frequently also the same people who are rules lawyers and power gamers.
2) Role-players. Individuals who act true purpose of pen-and-paper RPGs, and that's rich storytelling, world building, and character development that goes well above and beyond what any other human art form is capable of achieving.

I used to play it back in the early 80's.I remember pulling out my trusty page with all my info on it.Strength dexterity,health,wisdom etc.. I used to love to go to the old comic book stores to buy the dice for the game.There was this game called Exodus I used to play also.It was just like D&D.It was very satanic and filled with witchcraft.I remember my 6th grade teacher finding it in my folder and sending me to the office.I had to have a parent teacher conference because of it.They took it away from and refused to give it back.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I tried getting into it when I was a kid, but my mom forbid it because it teaches kids how to worship the devil and summon demons (the same reason she wouldn't let me play MTG).
I tried later on but I've not found anyone to play with.

I tried getting into it when I was a kid, but my mom forbid it because it teaches kids how to worship the devil and summon demons (the same reason she wouldn't let me play MTG).
I tried later on but I've not found anyone to play with.
I too was told the same thing.

Akivah

I started playing in my high school days and fell in love with it. And I play every week with the same group since college. We started with version 1.0, suffered through v 2.0, enjoyed v 3.0, and now play version 3.5 and Pathfinder. In addition, I've both participated in AD&D as a player and was a DM on websites such as this one. My campaign lasted about three years and would still be going if Tweb hadn't pulled the plug on us.

As I'm Jewish, the whole demon worship thing never came up. My parents thought I was a bit weird, but Satanic stuff is not in our glossary.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
5e is an interesting improvement, esp. from what I've heard in relation to complaints about the Monk class. adding Dex to the attack rolls (and damage rolls?) instead of Str makes a lot of sense, as well as focusing on just Dex and Wis instead of being so Multiple Ability Dependent as it is in 3.5.

Akivah

3.5 added a lot of prestige classes, so you have a lot more flexibility in making a character.
Pathfinder provides a huge amount of variability in character creation. Instead of sticking with a generic character, you can swap out abilities and feats from the standard set. Each character can be totally unique within the same basic character class.

In our current game, one player is running a type of Zen archer, which is a monk specializing in archery in which Wisdom is the dominant ability instead of Dexterity. He doesn't take opportunity attacks when firing adjacent and still threatens because he can release one hand from the bow and punch as well.

I'm currently running a wizard specializing in transformation. Which means I don't have to worry about saving throws since the vast majority of the spells I cast are buff spells, which my own party members don't want to save against.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
That's what I'm doing with my first character: it's a Monk that lost many of the supernatural abilities in exchange for Fighter feats, though I feel like it's a bit too broad. My new variant based on the initial idea has him gaining the rogue's Uncanny Dodge alongside the Monk's Evasion as well as some other Rogue abilities, particularly Sneak Attack. Very Dex focused rather than Str focused, possibly even adjusting it so that you can treat your melee attacks as ranged attacks and use Dex.

Akivah

Very Dex focused rather than Str focused, possibly even adjusting it so that you can treat your melee attacks as ranged attacks and use Dex.

I once played a monk that had a ranged melee attack. The DM based it on a kung fu movie. My monk had a 15' magic silken scarf that she could use to make ranged melee attacks. But you must have reach to make a ranged melee attack. It is against logic to claim an attack is ranged when the attacker is adjacent to the target.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
I guess I should've qualified that you treat them as ranged attacks in terms of damage and attack rolls, not strictly in the sense of mechanical combat structure. There are feats that would allow for a distance ki strike, for example, but this is more like that Dex is where the power comes from rather than that it's technically "ranged"

Akivah

Anyone else play? I'm wanting to DM eventually (esp. since we only really have one campaign going ATM and I'm not sure when someone else in our main group will DM, since they were expecting to follow after the campaign that's on hiatus), but for now I'm still getting used to the ruls, esp. in regards to me as a DM managing combat, etc.

Did you want to try to put an online game together? If so, I have some tips to share from my experience of DMing online.

muichimotsu

Holding All and None
Online games are practically as tricky as ones in real time, since there's scheduling, etc. Skype/Google Hangouts is at last a semi reliable way to have the interaction necessary. Not to mention it's much simpler to get in a car and meet at a physical location compared to various scheduling issues and maintaining a solid connection, etc, which aren't guaranteed by any means, esp. with wifi, rather than a wired connection.

vaguelyhumanoid

I love it! I play 3.5 and I'm also curious about 5e. My current character is a N human ranger. I play him as this over the top existential nihilist; sort of a True Detective parody. My group has been going strong for about 2 and a half years now!

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Not sure if this counts but I play Neverwinter (based on D&D) on Steam. I love it. Got 2 characters just now - 1 human guardian fighter and 1 dwarven paladin.