• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Does God not intervening make God irrelevant

dfnj

This is what we call 'The Problem of Theodicy' from a theologian and Jewish perspective. However, I don't believe in free will. I do believe in destiny which is the opposite. Therefore, it solves this issue of 'evil' and 'bad' in the world because everything happens for a reason. It only makes sense this way to me. I don't think God shares the same concept of human morality so when we say something is 'good' or 'bad' it's entirely based on our perception of things. If it's God's plan for something 'good' or 'bad' to happen at a certain time it will happen to bring about some result which would be a part of His ultimate plan in the end for you and everyone else whether it directly or indirectly affects you.

To say God does not intervene, however, is subjective. Some people say he surely intervenes and some say it's impossible. For example, someone prayed a million times for a specific outcome to happen in their life only to be met with dead silence while someone else says I prayed once and the next day they got what they prayed for. I can only say for the first scenario is that such a person was not meant to have their prayer answered for a reason that they cannot understand at that time. But there's a reason for it.

So when something happens by coincidence it's God intervening. And when something doesn't happen it's God choosing his long term plan for "reason that they cannot understand." Claiming something is the result of God's action is just a subjective judgment. Everything about God only occurs in mind space and imaginations.

dfnj

Which God?

Any God, all of them.

Why wouldn't shouldn't said God want people to clean up their messes?

Should or should not is purely a subjective opinion. In terms of actual results, that is fixing a problem, I have found the only way problems in my life ever get fixed is if I choose to fix it myself.

Why assume said God is omnipotent?

God is just a word. Every person on the planet has a different definition for the word God. Therefore, the word God is meaningless.

If God has limitations, then how do you know God even still exists?

Why is intervention the only way to be relevant?

People pray to God when they have problems. As far as I can tell, God never really directly answers people's prays the moment they make them. Therefore, God is irrelevant. The only way people solve their own life problems is by solving their own problems. Praying to God is like complaining about the government. It's just wasting brain calories. People need to choose to fix their problems. God just doesn't participate in the affairs of man as far as I can tell.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
Any God, all of them.
What God said they'd answer all of our troubles?
Should or should not is purely a subjective opinion. In terms of actual results, that is fixing a problem, I have found the only way problems in my life ever get fixed is if I choose to fix it myself.
That's good!
God is just a word. Every person on the planet has a different definition for the word God. Therefore, the word God is meaningless.
I could see that.
If God has limitations, then how do you know God even still exists?
How do I know anything? (I don't claim to know much.)

Why couldn't God/s have limitations?
People pray to God when they have problems. As far as I can tell, God never really directly answers people's prays the moment they make them. Therefore, God is irrelevant. The only way people solve their own life problems is by solving their own problems. Praying to God is like complaining about the government. It's just wasting brain calories. People need to choose to fix their problems. God just doesn't participate in the affairs of man as far as I can tell.
Would you believe a person if they said God had fixed a problem for them?

Sometimes I struggle with why some Gods answer some prayers some of the time. I'm not saying I have an answer, its just something I think about.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality
God does not provide any support at all has been my experience. The only way the problems in my life ever get solved is when I do the hard work of solving them myself.
A prayer of "fix this for me" is not meant to be answered, IMO. What does get answered are prayers such as "give me strength", and "show me the way." But with that last one, you really do have to set the burden down. When your heart and mind is calm and clear, the answer comes. And if you're not comfortable giving God the credit, that's okay for now. Some of us give Him recognition for being that internal part of our psyche that handles these sort of things.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Give me one example of God doing something for humans. And how do you know it was God as the agency of the action?
As I said, what God does for humans is to send Messengers in every age to guide humans to the straight path.
There is no way to know (in the sense of being able to prove as a fact) that God was the agency of the action.

There is no evidence God intervenes in the affairs of men.
I think this world, life, the Bible and Jews are evidence for God intervening. I don't think we would have any of those without God.
Gravity only occurs in one direction.
Probably on a flat earth. :D Not in 3D world.
Things never float on your own or defy the laws of physics.
Laws of physics leads to dust. I think life defies the laws of physics. And if life could come from dust on its own, it could be observed in the nature.

PureX

Veteran Member
Give me one example of God doing something for humans. And how do you know it was God as the agency of the action?
You're all over the map, here.

Does your concept of God include creation? If so, then I'd say God did something fundamental for we humans in that we are being given the gift of existence, itself. And by giving this to us, together, and giving us a place within which to exist, together, we are being given something that is still serving us in every way, every day.

Yes, we do suffer and die, but even those experiences may ultimately be for our benefit. Because we can't see the whole picture.

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
Based on human experiments, and all the unnecessary evil in the world, there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. This is the main problem with God. And that is, God doesn't really answer prays very well, if at all. God seems to be completely indifferent to the needs of man.

This means God is always choosing his "long term plan" over short-term intervention. So what this means is, in my opinion, is if we soil our own bed, no one but ourselves is going to clean up our mess. In other words, people have to behave like adults which means taking responsibility for what each of us is NOT responsible for. The answer is not God. The answer is not Jesus. The only answer that ever works is people solving their own problems making God irrelevant.
God does not solve our problems directly for us. That is for us to do as you say. His only form of intervention is that He sends a Prophet/Educator/Manifestation with guidance and counsels pertinent to the needs of our age then it is up to us. The remedy I believe God has prescribed for us in this day is to unite and be as one human family and drop all prejudices of race, religion and nationality. Would we be better off if we did this and we all got along or continued along the current path of war and destruction.? That’s the choice before humanity.

Niatero

God does not solve our problems directly for us. That is for us to do as you say. His only form of intervention is that He sends a Prophet/Educator/Manifestation with guidance and counsels pertinent to the needs of our age then it is up to us.
Do you not believe that the Holy Spirit plays any part, or do you not consider the work of the Holy Spirit a form of intervention by God?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Based on human experiments, and all the unnecessary evil in the world, there is no amount of evil God will not tolerate in order to preserve our free-will. This is the main problem with God. And that is, God doesn't really answer prays very well, if at all. God seems to be completely indifferent to the needs of man.

This means God is always choosing his "long term plan" over short-term intervention. So what this means is, in my opinion, is if we soil our own bed, no one but ourselves is going to clean up our mess. In other words, people have to behave like adults which means taking responsibility for what each of us is NOT responsible for. The answer is not God. The answer is not Jesus. The only answer that ever works is people solving their own problems making God irrelevant.

The fact that people can solve their own problems and clean up their own messes makes God unnecessary.
I suppose however the people that have given up feel a need for a God to exist to save them.

danieldemol

Premium Member
Where did i say we need relevance, i did not say it at all so who is making assumptions.
I asked how would that make us relevant.
But if we don't need relevance then your question becomes irrelevant in my view.

May as well ask how it makes us a thousand feet shorter or anything else we don't need.

Tinkerpeach

When you pray to God it should not be to ask for specific things as if you are ordering off of a menu.

God shouldn’t be treated as your genie in a bottle.

God has a plan for your life so you should be asking for guidance on how to help in fulfilling that plan which makes a persons life considerably easier.

PearlSeeker

If God planned the things as they are then it depends if he knew everything in advance or he decided not to know everything. If he knows everything in advance then there is no need to intervene because he intervened in advance (he ordered laws and conditions so that things happen).

There are different conceptions of "divine providence":