• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do You Believe in Angels?

Runt

Angles as in pretty white blond guys in gauzy dresses with wings?
No...

Do I beleive in spirits... yes.

I agree with Painted Wolf... of course, I'm not discounting that there may be angels or something akin to them in the spirit world... I've had some pretty interesting experiences with guardian spirits in my dreams (although I recognize these may simply have been interesting and enlightening experiences with my own subconscious... but who cares? Either way, the effect was positive) and I've had one, sort of frightening encounter with a ghost... but having never seen an angel, I can't say for sure whether they exist or not. Perhaps guardian spirits manifest in whatever form most familiar or acceptable to an individual? Angel for a Christian, Elemental-Ancestor-Guardian spirit for someone like me, Ancestor for people with native American Spirituality, Faery for a Wiccan.... etc etc etc... perhaps they are all the same thing, manifesting in different ways for the individual so there can be a more...working relationship rather than one of fear or animosity.

Master Vigil

I feel the same as runt and painted wolf. I've had hundreds of occurrences with spirits. Angels would be the spirits looking over and passing the flow of nature (or chi) on to faeries and such which then pass it on to nature. And believe it or not, I've found that no spirits are good or evil either. They just survive. Even what people would call ghosts or demons, are only spirits who do not possess their own energy so they feed off of others energy. Thats why you feel cold when they are around you, they are taking your energy. This isn't evil though as some might think, it is only survival. It was an interesting breakthrough. And took a while to understand.

my guardian angels sometiimes wake me up in time for mass and slow time when i'm sometimes late for an appointment. they are intelligences and have no gender, although they appear as male and female to rare recipients. there are nine different types of angels: powers, dominions, guardian, seraphims, cherubims, etc. one third of the angels fell from heaven and subtly tempt u to do the same.

w00t

I think angels may exist as I have had some strange experiences. Here is an article I wrote about the topic.

Angel Encounters

When I was about three months old, in 1950, I believe I had my first encounter with an angel. I was intolerant of milk and had been failing to thrive since birth. I screamed none stop and my family were at their wits end.

One night my grandma was walking the floor with me. All of a sudden I stopped crying, looked up at the ceiling and the most wonderful smile transformed my face. I remember a white light and the most beautiful face I have ever seen. My grandma sensed that I had seen an angel. From that time on I started to thrive. This poem describes that experience.

The Baby’s Angel

No words, just sensations,
The infant too tiny to speak,
Not too young to feel discomfort,
Of a colicky distended belly.
Feeling the rocking motion
Of the soothing adult,
Trying to ease the child’s pain.
Suddenly the baby looks up,
Focusing on the ceiling,
Or are her eyes looking beyond
The reaches of time and space,
Looking into the bright vastness
We believe to be Heaven?
A shining, shimmering light,
A beautiful, wonderful face,
Calm, peace and all pain gone.
A sweet angelic smile
Lights up the infant’s face,
Gently she falls asleep,
Dreaming of the baby’s angel.

My next angel encounter, as I believe it to be in retrospect, was when I was 11 years old. It was during the school summer holiday of 1961. I thought it was a good idea to go fishing off the rocks on the coast of Guernsey, (a Channel Island near the coast of France) my childhood home. In those days you could safely turn your kids out after breakfast, with a packed lunch, and not expect to see them until suppertime! However, my parents would not have approved of me fishing off the dangerous rocks I had chosen. The fish weren't biting, not surprising because a bent safety pin and piece of bread was hardly to the taste of the fish! I decided to try my luck further from the shore. Even as young as I was I should have had more sense. The tides come in fast and one can be cut off. So intent was I that I did not notice I was surrounded by water, and I would need to leap to safety across a gap about 4 feet wide, falling into the water was not an option I cared to contemplate, as I would have been swept away. I was beginning to panic when suddenly a man materialised in front of me, seemingly from nowhere, and without a word carried me across the gap; he vanished as quickly as he appeared! I remember thinking it odd, but the relief was so great that I took to my heels, and finding my bicycle I cycled home as fast as my legs could peddle. Naturally I omitted to mention any of this to Mum and Dad!

I wonder if that man was my guardian angel?

My latest possible angel experience started a few weeks ago and is on going! I watched an item on the TV about angels. The guest on the show said that you could ask an angel to give you evidence of their existence by producing feathers! At the time I thought no more about it, thinking that it was a fanciful notion. However, on my twice daily walk it came to mind again. Thinking 'nothing ventured, nothing gained', I said, "OK, if there is an angel in the vicinity, prove it!" As I rounded the bend in the road I found a pure white, fluffy feather every few yards down the whole stretch of the road until it met the T-junction!

A little later I went out for a second walk. I picked up the only remaining feather and clutched it in my hand, meaning to take it home, on opening my palm it had vanished. There was no wind and I swear it had not blown away!

I mentioned this extraordinary occurrence to my husband, fully expecting a teasing response. I was not disappointed!

My husband is very disbelieving of anything that purports to be supernatural, in spite of living in a haunted house! With tongue firmly imbedded in cheek, he asked any passing angel to send him a sign! Sometime later he discovered, on turning down the duvet, two white, fluffy feathers. We do not have feather pillows or duvets.

The next day he found a feather by his place setting at the breakfast table. On going outside he found many white feathers were blowing around our patio. In his car feathers were discovered on the driver’s seat and on the floor by the foot pedals.

Feathers in places where one would not expect to find them keep confronting us.

My friends around the world, on hearing my story, have also asked the angels for feathers and have reported remarkable results.

I think the feathers are probably no more than an amazing set of coincidences, but it gives one pause for thought!

Runt

That's really interesting! If I found a feather the symbolism connected would be different for me... since I have this "thing" with hawks...

w00t

I am a very happening type of person and my guardian angel has had a difficult time protecting me from the on going perilous adventures I have managed to survive! I composed this spoof letter from my GA to his line manager!

Guardian Angel Job, Room 999/911, The Lodge, St Peter’s Gate, Heaven.
FAO
Archangel Michael
1a Celestial Throne Boulevard
Heaven

Dear Mike,

As my line manager, I respectfully request leave of absence for the next three Millennia, as I am too stressed to continue my present assignment.

I don’t think you can fault the way I have looked after that nutty Brit for the last fifty-two traumatic years. I coped well with all the usual ups and downs one expects when responsible for a human, although I have to admit that those three months of initial infant screaming have permanently damaged my hearing. You will see the docket for the hearing aid in my file. What has really stressed me out is all the extra tasks I was expected to fulfil is order to save my client’s neck.
I still shudder when I think of the carthorse incident, working with Guardian Angel Jeremiah, who rescued my client’s rescuer. We pulled off an amazing feat, see ref 2/1952.1. I had scarcely recovered from that trauma when my client fell into the pond (ref 2/1952.2.) The boat incident (ref 10/1960) is etched on my memory. I also wish to bring to your attention the confrontation with youths molesting the old lady (ref 37/1987), Offa’s Dyke (ref 44/1994), the road rage episode (ref 49/1999). The last straw was the encounter with the bullocks. (ref 52/2002).

As you can see I have been under great and sustained pressure; I can no longer cope. My physician Mark has prescribed Prozac, which is helping to get me through the flashbacks. I was reading in last months Wings and Harps that Guardian Angel Daniel put in a claim for compensation after suffering from stress above and beyond the call of duty. I am considering doing the same.

I wish my successor the best of luck, as I feel he will need it!

Yours celestially,

Job (Guardian Angel Job)

w00t

Thanks Maize. I have had quite a few more adventures since I wrote that in 2002. My GA is permanently on Prozac, I think, LOL!!!! :lol:

maize, i had a bout with severe manic depression for over twenty years. i finally stopped dwelling on the trauma, suffering and injustices done to me and chose to think of more pleasant experiences . i stopped living in my past as i cant change it and the future as it is uncertain. i live in the moment and plan ahead when necessary and reminisce at night about my wonderful day. i say a full rosary and meditate about the people i love and who need prayer. i no longer have regrets, resentments, and grudges. they are mentally and physicallly draining. i don't get angry as it is also physically draining. i'm learning how to be more patient. i wish u well and pray u will let go and let God.