• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do good things happen to good people

Leo613

Is it me or what? I seemed to believe if something good happened its because God was happy with me and if i was bad god would punish me and something bad would happen.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can u expand
I can try. I assume that natural processes that happen to me are common which means they happen to other people too.
If you look around you can see that good things happen to very bad people and that very bad things happen to good people. So it can't be God making things happen when a person does good or bad imho.

Leo613

I can try. I assume that natural processes that happen to me are common which means they happen to other people too.
If you look around you can see that good things happen to very bad people and that very bad things happen to good people. So it can't be God making things happen when a person does good or bad imho.
So is there any insensitive to be good

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
i was bad god would punish me and something bad would happen.

Do you really think an omnipotent, omniscient, allegedly omnibenevolent God doesn't have better things to do than punish human beings? How about good things happen because good things happen, and bad things happen because bad things happen. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. We are not special snowflakes.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Is it me or what? I seemed to believe if something good happened its because God was happy with me and if i was bad god would punish me and something bad would happen.
I don't think this is possibly accurate. There is no protection of good people from bad things and vice versa. Bad and good things happen to both bad and good people, imho. I'm not sure whether blaming God is reasonable.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Well, that works with everything. I could equally believe that when good things happen to me, that indicates the invisible fairy in my garden is happy with me. The contrary if bad things happen to me.

So, no matter what you plug-in, you will always explain why good or bad things happen to you. Ergo, this plugged in variable is mute and can be removed without changing anything.

Ciao

- viole

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ignorance is a lack of information, not stupidity.
That is correct. Are you saying stupidity causes badness? I do not agree. I said ignorance causes badness. Stupidity or "bad choices" causes badness. Yes, but that is another thing. We are talking about something else.

Deathbydefault

Apistevist Asexual Atheist

No.
Your God, and every other God, plays the part of neutrality.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Maybe a stupid question why are people bad

Because they can be, and they're gambling that they might be able to get away with it. Very often, they do. Our society is very permissive, all too ready to forgive any kind of misdeed. Even for the religious, they can always say they're sorry on their death bed and be forgiven. So...why not be bad? Why would there be any incentive to be good?