• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Do Buddhists believe in supernatural beings or anything supernatural?

St Giordano Bruno

I argued this with some one last weekend because I think one thing the sets Buddhism apart from Christianity and other Western religions is a disbelief in the supernatural, such as ghosts, ghoulies, angels or faires, she was arguing that Kharma is a supernatural concept. What do you think?

Smoke

Done here.
I think it can go either way, and does. And not just about karma. I mean, lots of Buddhists do believe in the supernatural. I don't, but lots of them do.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
I argued this with some one last weekend because I think one thing the sets Buddhism apart from Christianity and other Western religions is a disbelief in the supernatural, such as ghosts, ghoulies, angels or faires, she was arguing that Kharma is a supernatural concept. What do you think?
I disagree with the idea that Karma is a supernatural concept - I feel it is a natural as gravity.

That said, lots of Buddhists believe in what Westerners would call the supernatural - from hungry ghosts to Bodhisattvas to kami to demons. Many Buddhists interpret these in different ways, as well. To some they are concepts and archetypes, to others they are very real.

Smoke

Done here.
I disagree with the idea that Karma is a supernatural concept - I feel it is a natural as gravity.

That said, lots of Buddhists believe in what Westerners would call the supernatural - from hungry ghosts to Bodhisattvas to kami to demons. Many Buddhists interpret these in different ways, as well. To some they are concepts and archetypes, to others they are very real.
Agreed.

Mr Orange

Meditate
If one believes in supernatural beings so be it. In Buddhism there are different realms were beings dwell. Ghosts, gods, demons etc... due to their karma results.

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
If one believes in supernatural beings so be it. In Buddhism there are different realms were beings dwell. Ghosts, gods, demons etc... due to their karma results.
No argument - but for some Buddhists those realms are actual physical places different from our own world here, and for other Buddhists those realms are mental/emotional constructs or conceptualizations that occur inside of our lives rather than having an external physical reality.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member

I agree, Karma is like physics in this case.

No argument - but for some Buddhists those realms are actual physical places different from our own world here, and for other Buddhists those realms are mental/emotional constructs or conceptualizations that occur inside of our lives rather than having an external physical reality.

I think one of the coolest things about Buddhism is the ability to apply the concepts on a micro and macro level so easily.

ie. I've been reborn countless times since I started typing this, however I haven't been reborn in a common idea of 'next life' which is also a common theme/belief.

It's the beauty of experience.

:namaste:
SageTree

Wannabe Yogi

I think it can go either way, and does. And not just about karma. I mean, lots of Buddhists do believe in the supernatural. I don't, but lots of them do.

Thats the good thing about Buddhism it's the practice not the supernatural beliefs.

Metempsychosis

Reincarnation of 'Anti-religion'

"The miracle is not to walk on water. The miracle is to walk on the green earth in the present moment, to appreciate the peace and beauty that are available now."---
Quotes Thich Nhat Hanh

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Buddhism doesn't make god belief or non god belief an issue. It is open to all, theists and non-theists alike. Buddha didn't want to keep anyone out of his religion that wished to come. Many Buddhists do believe in gods and spirits, and some don't. It's not required to follow the eightfold path. However, to argue that Buddhism isn't traditionally theistic is an argument that wouldn't hold very well, especially if you visit Buddhist countries with all the temples and stuff to gods and Bodhisattvas.

PS to the Questioner: I used to be a Buddhist, so I kinda know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Smoke

Done here.
Buddhism doesn't make god belief or non god belief an issue. It is open to all, theists and non-theists alike. Buddha didn't want to keep anyone out of his religion that wished to come. Many Buddhists do believe in gods and spirits, and some don't. It's not required to follow the eightfold path. However, to argue that Buddhism isn't traditionally theistic is an argument that wouldn't hold very well, especially if you visit Buddhist countries with all the temples and stuff to gods and Bodhisattvas.

PS to the Questioner: I used to be a Buddhist, so I kinda know what I'm talking about.
Some Buddhists worship devas and bodhisattvas, but no Buddhists believe in a Supreme Deity or a Creator.

In fact, Buddhist cosmology tends to resemble the Big Bounce model.

Rainbow Mage

Yes I'm aware, theistic Buddhism is totally Polytheistic, with no belief in a supreme deity or creator. Yet oddly they venerate devas that the Hindus say are creator aspects of God, Ganyapati, Siva, etc.

Smoke

Done here.
Yes I'm aware, theistic Buddhism is totally Polytheistic, with no belief in a supreme deity or creator. Yet oddly they venerate devas that the Hindus say are creator aspects of God, Ganyapati, Siva, etc.

Buddhism is no more polytheistic than the historic forms of Christianity, all of which venerate saints and angels.

Many of the Buddhists who venerate Ganapati would be at pains to tell you that it's not the Hindu Ganapati they venerate; many of them believe the Hindu Ganapati is a demon.

Rainbow Mage

Buddhism is no more polytheistic than the historic forms of Christianity, all of which venerate saints and angels.

Many of the Buddhists who venerate Ganapati would be at pains to tell you that it's not the Hindu Ganapati they venerate; many of them believe the Hindu Ganapati is a demon.

Well when I was in Pure Land we did believe that Ganesha was the same as the Hindu Ganesha, but we had a myth about Ganesha converting to Buddhism when he heard a monk instructing his student, so we didn't believe he was Hindu anymore, except that he may assist the Hindus that venerate him to guide them to true salvation.

Smoke

Done here.
What is the Big Bounce model?

The idea that the universe expands and contracts. You've got a Big Crunch, where the universe contracts down to a singularity, followed by Big Bang, where the singularity expands again. Then when it reaches maximum expansion, it starts contracting again.

People who propose this model don't necessarily mean the process goes on forever; it could even mean it only happened once. Just one Big Crunch and one Big Bang.

Smoke

Done here.
Well when I was in Pure Land we did believe that Ganesha was the same as the Hindu Ganesha, but we had a myth about Ganesha converting to Buddhism when he heard a monk instructing his student, so we didn't believe he was Hindu anymore, except that he may assist the Hindus that venerate him to guide them to true salvation.

Even in Pure Land, the devas are more like saints and angels than like gods.

Wannabe Yogi

The idea that the universe expands and contracts. You've got a Big Crunch, where the universe contracts down to a singularity, followed by Big Bang, where the singularity expands again. Then when it reaches maximum expansion, it starts contracting again.

People who propose this model don't necessarily mean the process goes on forever; it could even mean it only happened once. Just one Big Crunch and one Big Bang.

Oh I thought you were saying the Big Bounce model that God was a hot looking model with big breasts that bounce.;) Kind of a very straight male conception of reality of the cosmos.

Last edited:

Wannabe Yogi

Could you imagine in all of eternity only one universe. One chance on earth to be alive. I don't like this idea.