• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dinosaurs in Vedic Scriptures?

Stormcry

I know there are some scientific proofs of co-existence of humans & dinosaurs. However I'd like to know whether hindu scriptures mention about this big lizard. Can someone put up some references here?

Thank You

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
Dinosaurs were a long, long time ago, more than 65 million years ago and before that. There is a lot of confusion about dinosaurs, we now know a lot more than when I was a kid. At that time, we thought of them as giant reptilians like lizards with scaly dark skin... but today we are pretty sure they were of the bird family, with bright colors and probably feathers, they had bill like nostrils and made high chirps or horn sounds, many had legs just like chickens (but huge and dangerors chicken like claws, though not all dinosaurs were gigantic) ... some took to flight, and today's birds are seen as ancestors to the dinosaurs so one can say they never really went totally extinct.

The Devatas live on many planets and universes, and we humans may not have even originated here but from someplace else, or even if we did do not think in terms of only Bhumi Earth and dinosaurs and humans. Gods and life are all over the universes.

Hindu scriptures tell of giant birds, Indra destroying the Dragon, cowherds finding a giant lizard, we hear of giant whales and fish, but in general I do not believe the Vedas were written for dinosaurs. It is like reading a book on chemistry - a huge book, it even mentions plant life, wood the glows, fire flies that light up in the night, the properties of many things ... but gosh darn it, for the life of me, I go through my daughters huge book on chemistry and there isn't one mention of pigeons.

So I guess the chemistry book is a failure, these idiots didn't know that pigeons exist. No mention of pigeons at all.

I have a question. Has anyone on the forum ever see a baby pigeon? Think about it. We see godzillions of grown pigeons, but heck if I ever saw a baby pigeon. They might not exist.

shawn001

I know there are some scientific proofs of co-existence of humans & dinosaurs. However I'd like to know whether hindu scriptures mention about this big lizard. Can someone put up some references here?

Thank You

There are no scientific proofs the dinosaurs and humans coexisted. In fact there is total proof they didn't called the KT boundary. The dinosaurs died off 66 million years ago by an meteor impact at Chicxulub Crater buried under Chicxulub on the coast of Yucatan, Mexico. They were having issues and survived for 180 million years, but the impact was the final nail in the coffin for them.

Humans didn't come on the scene until much much later.

There was also another huge group of animals before the dinosaurs and they went extinct as well in the Permian mass extinction. The predecessors to the dinosaurs and eventually to mammals and primates and humans.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru

Thank You
:D Ah, you know the scientific proofs of co-existence of humans and dinosaurs. Kindly let the world know, perhaps you would get a Nobel prize in Biology. Dinosaurs existed some 66 million years ago. However, birds are descendants of dinosaurs. 66 million years ago, the ancestors of humans did exist. They are known as Placentalia. The creature that gave rise to all the placental mammals - a huge group that includes whales, elephants, dogs, bats and us - has at last been pinpointed:

Mark-A.-Klingler-Carnegie-Museum-of-Natural-History.png

Jurassic Shrew Juramaia sinensis, a shrew-like mammal, is the earliest placental mammal found to date. Mark A. Klingler / Carnegie Museum of Natural History

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I have a question. Has anyone on the forum ever see a baby pigeon? Think about it. We see godzillions of grown pigeons, but heck if I ever saw a baby pigeon. They might not exist.
Are not they born all grown up? However, pigeons roost in our false ceiling, the workers forgot to close one opening.

shawn001

:D Ah, you know the scientific proofs of co-existence of humans and dinosaurs. Kindly let the world know, perhaps you would get a Nobel prize in Biology. Dinosaurs existed some 66 million years ago. However, birds are descendants of dinosaurs. 66 million years ago, the ancestors of humans did exist. They are known as Placentalia. The creature that gave rise to all the placental mammals - a huge group that includes whales, elephants, dogs, bats and us - has at last been pinpointed:

Mark-A.-Klingler-Carnegie-Museum-of-Natural-History.png

The world already knows that dinosaurs and humans did not coexist.

You said humans and now your saying ancestor mammals, which is it?

Yes and they are back engineering dinosaur gene's in chickens. Birds are not mammals.

Building a dinosaur from a chicken
"Renowned paleontologist Jack Horner has spent his career trying to reconstruct a dinosaur. He's found fossils with extraordinarily well-preserved blood vessels and soft tissues, but never intact DNA. So, in a new approach, he's taking living descendants of the dinosaur (chickens) and genetically engineering them to reactivate ancestral traits — including teeth, tails, and even hands — to make a "Chickenosaurus"."

Big difference between early placental mammals and humans.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That is very nice of Dr. Jack Horner. Whatever advance takes place in science. Mammoths from the bodies found in Russian Taiga or dinosaurs from chicken (we will have so much more to relish and eat). However, we can safely say that descendants of dinos and humans have co-existed or that ancestors of humans and dinos have co-existed.

p.s.: The only problem will be to make a 'tandoori oven' to fit the size of the 'chickensaur'.
p.s.s.: But what is it that humans cannot achieve? Perhaps a gaint solar cooker. Human ingenuity knows no bounds.
Will Dr. Horner tell us the size of his 'checkensaur' so that we can start forthwith?

dish1.jpg

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet

Thank You
There is no proof of the co-existence of humans and dinosaurs. They were separated by millions of years. It's misleading Christian pseudoscience.

shivsomashekhar

There is no proof of the co-existence of humans and dinosaurs. They were separated by millions of years. It's misleading Christian pseudoscience.

ISKCON too rejects the scientific position on this subject and chooses the Bhagavata Purana as its source of history and anthropology. Someone from ISKCON named Sadaputa Dasa wrote a couple of books - "Forbidden archaeology" and "the hidden History of the human race" on how humans have existed for hundreds of millions of years (and thus, coexisted with dinosaurs). Obviously, such claims and conspiracy theories are not accepted by mainstream science.

Hidden History, Hidden Agenda

However, some people do favor and prefer such alternate theories.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Thank You

The Flinstones is not a documentary, mate. (Sorry had to say it.)

Also I don't think Dinosaurs were actually lizards.

shivsomashekhar

I know there are some scientific proofs of co-existence of humans & dinosaurs.

Thank You

That is interesting. On the other thread, you were asking for solid facts and not fairy tales on Aryan migration. So, I am curious about the source from which you learnt that humans and dinosaurs co-existed?

Thank you.

Last edited:

shawn001

The animals before the dinosaurs.

Before the Dinosaurs
The Pelycosaurs, Archosaurs and Therapsids of the Permian and Triassic Periods

"

Like archeologists discovering the ruins of a previously unknown civilization buried deep beneath an ancient city, dinosaur enthusiasts are sometimes astonished to learn that entirely different kinds of reptiles once ruled the earth, tens of millions of years before famous dinosaurs like Tyrannosaurus Rex, Velociraptor andStegosaurus. For approximately 120 million years--from the Carboniferous to the middle Triassic periods--terrestrial life was dominated by the pelycosaurs, archosaurs, and therapsids (the so-called "mammal-like reptiles") that preceded the dinosaurs. (See a complete, A to Z list of non-dinosaur reptiles, a gallery oftherapsid pictures, a gallery of archosaur pictures, and a gallery of pelycosaur pictures.)

Of course, before there could be archosaurs (much less full-blown dinosaurs), nature had to evolve the first true reptile. At the start of the Carboniferous period--the swampy, wet, vegetation-choked era during which the first peat bogs formed--the most common land creatures were prehistoric amphibians, themselves descended (by way of theearliest tetrapods) from the proverbialprehistoric fish that flipped, flopped, and slithered their way out of oceans and lakes millions of years before.

Before Dinosaurs - Pelycosaurs, Archosaurs, Therapsids

They went extinct from the permian mass extinction.

BBC Nature - Big Five mass extinction events

"Although the Cretaceous-Tertiary (or K-T) extinction event is the most well-known because it wiped out the dinosaurs, a series of other mass extinction events has occurred throughout the history of the Earth, some even more devastating than K-T. Mass extinctions are periods in Earth's history when abnormally large numbers of species die out simultaneously or within a limited time frame. The most severe occurred at the end of the Permian period when 96% of all species perished. This along with K-T are two of the Big Five mass extinctions, each of which wiped out at least half of all species. Many smaller scale mass extinctions have occurred, indeed the disappearance of many animals and plants at the hands of man in prehistoric, historic and modern times will eventually show up in the fossil record as mass extinctions. Discover more about Earth's major extinction events below.

Permian mass extinction
The Permian mass extinction has been nicknamed The Great Dying, since a staggering 96% of species died out. All life on Earth today is descended from the 4% of species that survived.

Before Dinosaurs - Pelycosaurs, Archosaurs, Therapsids

The Permian mass extinction was caused by the Siberian traps, even bigger then the Decon Traps in India. Volcanic eruptions. Actually a crack in the earth where lava just pours out.

Siberian Traps - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then came the age of the dinosaurs.

But the impact from the meteorite that took out the dinosaurs was so powerful nothing bigger then say a breadbox survived.

Asteroid Impact That Killed the Dinosaurs: New Evidence

"The explosion, likely caused by an object about 6 miles (10 km) across, would have released as much energy as 100 trillion tons of TNT, more than a billion times more than the atom bombs that destroyed Hiroshima and Nagasaki."

Asteroid Impact That Killed the Dinosaurs: New Evidence | Chicxulub Crater

Then came the age of Mammals.

This is called the cosmic timeline a slight variation on Carl Sagan's the Cosmic calender.

"Imagine that the entire history of the universe is compressed into one year - with the Big Bang corresponding to the first second of the New Year's Day, and the present time to the last second of December 31st (midnight).

Using this scale of time, each month would equal a little over a billion years. Here's a closer look at when important events would occur when we imagine the universe in one year:

"Within the scheme of the Cosmic Calendar, an average human life of 70-80 years is equivalent to approximately 0.16 cosmic seconds!"

Cosmic Calendar

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hinduism♥Krishna, don't be a 'koopa mandooka'. Do you realize that all posters are making fun of you. A Hindu should not be this backward like the followers of the book. A whole lot of things have been proved beyond any shred of doubt. You should accept them graciously. Don't read the sites of foreigners explaining our things to us. Please note that some have an ulterior motive, to make fools of Hindus. Does this Michael Cremo knows Hinduism better than us? Parihar is doing a disservice to Hinduism.

Last edited:

shivsomashekhar

The authot/speaker, Michael Cremo is a Hare Krishna, also known as Dhrutakarma Dasa.

As I said earlier, Hare Krishnas reject mainstream academic history in favor of the Bhagavatam - which they interpret literally, to mean humans lived forever and the entire world followed a Vedic religion. Any evidence to the contrary is summarily rejected as a conspiracy theory.

However, everyone is entitled to his or her own view.

jonathan180iq

The dinosaurs died off 66 million years ago by an meteor impact at Chicxulub Crater buried under Chicxulub on the coast of Yucatan, Mexico.

You'll appreciate this... I am still awaiting confirmation, but it's possible that on a hike a few months ago I came across some debris from the Yucatan crater.
I live in the foothills of the North Georgia Appalachians.

10653910_531662546979634_1416787082_n.jpg

It's porous and "clinks" like metal when you hit them together.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yucatan is far from North Georgia which had its own volcanic activity (I read that it is one of the oldest rocks). Interesting that it is porous but still clinks
"The region is known for its ruggedness and scenic beauty. The Cherokee who lived in these mountains called them Sah-ka-na'-ga - "The Great Blue Hills of God." Large portions of the North Georgia mountains are included in the more than 750,000 acres (3,000 km2) that comprises the Chattahoochee National Forest." (Wikipedia)
Send me a line when the results come.

shawn001

You'll appreciate this... I am still awaiting confirmation, but it's possible that on a hike a few months ago I came across some debris from the Yucatan crater.
I live in the foothills of the North Georgia Appalachians.

10653910_531662546979634_1416787082_n.jpg

It's porous and "clinks" like metal when you hit them together.

I am very interested in it. Wow. I have worked for some great gem and rock shops. I have also been through the Blue Ridge Mts which are some of the oldest in the world. In fact a central part of Pangaea I if I am not mistaken. I also studied vulcanism and plate tectonics in college and live within the Pacific rim of fire, although I am originally from NY. I live in Oregon now.

I have seen some Fulgurites that is the first thing I thought of when I saw it, which could be possible I think or even a from a meteor strike. , but way cool and let me know what it is when you find out. There maybe some other ways it may have formed. It could also be possible from the Yucatan crater and that would be really cool, as a rock came down everywhere all over the globe, melted and hardened. The entire south also got hit with a massive tidal wave. However, some of the rock actually made it back out into space and they think there may even be some on the moon from the blast. It was a massive hit. That is really cool and am interested when you find out and thanks for sharing it.

I am curious how big it is too, be good if something was next to it for a reference on size.

Fulgurites: Fossil Lightning

Fulgurites: Fossil Lightning