• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference in moral thought between atheists and believers

Even if the four are two serial rapists and two serial killers?

Even if he’s required to personally rape a woman in order to save those 4 lives.

If we scale these rules up, we can handle cases of armed groups who seek to create a utopia.

Their level of their impunity is only bounded by the level of their ambitions.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
I don't know who those believers are that were "icky" about pulling the switch but their moral development is severely lacking. Failing to act to save 4 lives is a moral failure. The trolley will cause death either way but inaction to save 4 is immoral.
And yet, when it becomes personal and direct, such as having to push a fat traveler out of the trolley and onto the track in order to save the five people, most people won't do it. Would you?

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Well morality does not actually exist in the world, neither do ethics or values.
Morals, ethics, and values are the internal compass that humans use to guide and evaluate actions. I think the evidence supports the idea that empathy and fairness, the two building blocks of morality, are instinctual for most humans.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
right. thats why killing people is a bad idea. telling me they were serial rapists and killers was asinine.
To you perhaps, but many would say that serial killers and serial rapists are more deserving of death.
So even if all five of them were serious bad people it would be more moral to save one bad person than four.

Ignatius A

You seem to know the Trolley problem and the "fat man" iteration. Do you know the "surgeon" iteration?
What would you do in that case?
I don't know. We know people say they will do things but if or until they are actually in the situation they don't really know.