• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Death to the desert god?

Toxikmynd

Demir
I heat this being thrown around and truthfully I like the sound if it. The end of the Abrahamic religions in my opinion would be great. I like Islam and Judaism a lot more though than Christianity. Yet for me the extinction of all 3 would be a blessing in my opinion. My reasoning is because of how weak their arguments usually are (Judaism usually having the strongest argument in my experience) also they frustrate the living daylights out of me. They have Jewish school and Christian school systems etc etc I could go on but I don't have great service atm so I have to cut it short. Anyone want to add to this OR tell em how ridiculous I am? Thanks.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
I heat this being thrown around and truthfully I like the sound if it. The end of the Abrahamic religions in my opinion would be great. I like Islam and Judaism a lot more though than Christianity. Yet for me the extinction of all 3 would be a blessing in my opinion. My reasoning is because of how weak their arguments usually are (Judaism usually having the strongest argument in my experience) also they frustrate the living daylights out of me. They have Jewish school and Christian school systems etc etc I could go on but I don't have great service atm so I have to cut it short. Anyone want to add to this OR tell em how ridiculous I am? Thanks.
I would say that Judaism can stay as they really (most of the time) keep to themself. The other two can go extinct as they are only good at killing and dehumanizing everybody (especially those they feel aren't like them)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
See, there's a thing about deserts in general. They tend to be far better environments for long-term preservation than other types of landscape. So, to me it makes sense that the oldest Gods still living in constantly changing environments tend to be desert Gods. Take Kemeticism over Asatru: our Gods don't really have much direct attestation beyond ~1,000 year old post-Christian literature; anything pre-Christian comes from visuals and vague references. Egyptian Gods go back thousands of years; they're older than the Abrahamic God.

Personally, I don't want the Abrahamic religions to go extinct. There's a lot of cultural worth in them; European Christian art is some of the finest in our history, IMO.

Toxikmynd

Demir
See, there's a thing about deserts in general. They tend to be far better environments for long-term preservation than other types of landscape. So, to me it makes sense that the oldest Gods still living in constantly changing environments tend to be desert Gods. Take Kemeticism over Asatru: our Gods don't really have much direct attestation beyond ~1,000 year old post-Christian literature; anything pre-Christian comes from visuals and vague references. Egyptian Gods go back thousands of years; they're older than the Abrahamic God.

Personally, I don't want the Abrahamic religions to go extinct. There's a lot of cultural worth in them; European Christian art is some of the finest in our history, IMO.
You have a point. Yet I would like them to at least calm tf down on their belief. They're way to indoctrinated. Kemetic religion is pretty awesome ;)

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
You have a point. Yet I would like them to at least calm tf down on their belief. They're way to indoctrinated. Kemetic religion is pretty awesome ;)

They're actually more calm than you'd expect.

The thing is, because Christianity and Islam are world religions, they have enough adherents to be practiced by people who might naturally be prone to loud and/or violent extremism. Buddhism, the third major religion, doesn't seem to, but it also took on that status in a very different way than the other two, by merging with native beliefs rather than replacing them.

Sure, WWII Japanese soldiers weren't invoking the Buddha in their fighting, but remember that "kamikaze" translates to "divine wind".

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
If only there was a Dessert God...

There is. He is a smokin' hot waiter at a local restaurant. He has a special way of serving Italian pastries, especially cannoli. :p

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... The end of the Abrahamic religions in my opinion would be great. I like Islam and Judaism a lot more though than Christianity. Yet for me the extinction of all 3 would be a blessing in my opinion.
This from the guy who, at the time of this writing, defines his 'religion' as ...
Germanic/Slavic pagan with Hindu & Buddhist influence and I really love Islam & Judaism..
Oh well ...

A Vestigial Mote

This from the guy who, at the time of this writing, defines his 'religion' as ...
Germanic/Slavic pagan with Hindu & Buddhist influence and I really love Islam & Judaism..​
Oh well ...
Yeah - I guess if "extinction" is what he wishes for things he "loves", I'd hate to hear what he wants to see happen to his enemies.

Politesse

Amor Vincit Omnia
Just as the world needs deserts, mountains, and coasts, we need desert faiths and mountain faiths and coastal faiths and urban ones. What is the point of faith if it does not reflect the whole of the human landscape? And I reject the notion that one can talk about Christianity or Islam as though they were all one faith body. Common origin does not imply common substance, and these very large faith bodies have adapted to many local situations over the centuries.