• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Conversations with people with delusions of infallibility

Niatero

*banned*
Okay, I just now got a chance to observe what I do. I saw a post from a person that I’ve had some friendly conversation with who looks to me like he thinks he’s infallible. I thought about responding to it, but I decided there wasn’t any point in doing that. Later, I might respond to other posts with friendly comments and questions, and saying what I think, like I would with anyone else. Maybe the perception of them thinking they’re infallible only affects what questions and comments I post, what I say about my ideas, and how often I respond, mostly by intuition guided by trial and error and not by any conscious thinking about what to do.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Sometimes people look to me like they think their views can't be wrong. Maybe they don't always really think that, and it just looks that way, but for purposes of this discussion I'm just thinking of how it looks to me. What do you do when it looks that way to you and/or what are some good ideas about what to do? Leave them alone? Try to break through their defenses? Never give up trying to reason with them? I only just thought of this question and haven't thought much about it, so I'm having trouble thinking of examples of what to do.
Some people are not ready to change their views and the best that can be achieved is to agree to disagree. I see little or no value in trying to break down their defenses or to continue trying to reason with someone with entrenched views.

Niatero

*banned*
Some people are not ready to change their views and the best that can be achieved is to agree to disagree. I see little or no value in trying to break down their defenses or to continue trying to reason with someone with entrenched views.
I agree with not trying to break through their defenses. For me it doesn’t always mean not trying to reason with them. Sometimes they are open to discussion in some parts of what they’re saying. Just now when I said that I realized that could be a way of breaking them dow — continuing the discussion. :D

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree with not trying to break through their defenses. For me it doesn’t always mean not trying to reason with them. Sometimes they are open to discussion in some parts of what they’re saying. Just now when I said that I realized that could be a way of breaking them dow — continuing the discussion. :D
What helps the most for me is realising that I'm just like everyone else with a set of beliefs I've held for a long time that are unlikely to change in a hurry. I also have the same urge to want others to see the world as I do. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but a little self reflection goes a long way :)