• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Consciousness and its contents are all that exists.

Do you agree that consciousness and its contents are all that exists?

• Total voters

Gambit

I believe that consciousness and its contents are all that exists. Space-time, matter and fields never were the fundamental denizens of the universe but have always been, from their beginning, among the humbler contents of consciousness, dependent on it for their very being.” - cognitive scientist, Donald Hoffman

"Mind reaches to itself. It does not go out. Within itself it has no limits, and there is nothing outside it." - A Course In Miracles

"Every mind contains all minds, for every mind is one. Such is the truth." - A Course In Miracles

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I believe that consciousness and its contents are all that exists. Space-time, matter and fields never were the fundamental denizens of the universe but have always been, from their beginning, among the humbler contents of consciousness, dependent on it for their very being.” - cognitive scientist, Donald Hoffman

"Mind reaches to itself. It does not go out. Within itself it has no limits, and there is nothing outside it." - A Course In Miracles

"Every mind contains all minds, for every mind is one. Such is the truth." - A Course In Miracles
I never understood what people meant by consciousness. Is there a laymans, non religious and metaphysic language of the definiton of this word? Since this is post, please lend me your definition not the internet (unles you find a link that mirrors your definition)

Thanks

Gambit

I never understood what people meant by consciousness. Is there a laymans, non religious and metaphysic language of the definiton of this word? Since this is post, please lend me your definition not the internet (unles you find a link that mirrors your definition)

Consciousness is awareness of something. (I would think that is self-evident.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Say, rather, consciousness is its contents, which are all that exists.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member

Thanks
Consciousness is thought objectified, i.e. made into something to talk about.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

Those quotes are all on board with Advaita. I feel the tide of religion and science slowly turning.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I answered I don't know really but it's a possibility. Can't prove it but maybe enough people feel justified in thinking that way.

Consciousness is whatever it is that is experiencing the experience. The agent that feels the experience happening.

Yeah I suppose so, the experiencing being objectified. Of course I assume there is no actual object. Just the experience itself.

Sooo.... Is the experiencing and all it's contents all there is? Might as well be. If it is, it doesn't change anything. We are still stuck with the experiencing.

If there is death, then the experiencing stops.

So is consciousness it? Yes as far as we are concerned. If it isn't, we will never know that.

George-ananda

Premium Member
If there is death, then the experiencing stops.
The thinking in the OP is that consciousness is the fundamental property of existence. It (consciousness) can not die with the reformation of its derivative (matter).....i.e. physical death.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I would argue that they are more in line with the "Achintya Bheda Abheda" (inconceivalbe oneness and difference) school of Vedanta than the "Advaita" (non-dual) school. But now I digress.
Well, they're close enough for my level of philosophical involvement in the many schools of Hinduism. I'm fine with both schools. They both can get over my head. I'm content with the basic concepts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Consciousness is awareness of something. (I would think that is self-evident.)
The "context" in which it is used makes this "awareness" have some supernatural or metaphysical definition like "cosmos" or something or other. Ive seen threads from hindu describe consciousness as something related to Brahma. If it is simple awareness, then I dont see the point of the statement.

What is consciousness (or awareness) of all that exist? Is there some deep meaning in this question? What does it mean and how does it apply to awarenes?

Gambit

Well, they're close enough for my level of philosophical involvement in the many schools of Hinduism. I'm fine with both schools. They both can get over my head. I'm content with the basic concepts.

It's a subtle but significant difference - a difference that has implications for the philosophical problem of the one and the many.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The thinking in the OP is that consciousness is the fundamental property of existence. It (consciousness) can not die with the reformation of its derivative (matter).....i.e. physical death.

Yes, well just saying in case I'm wrong. If he is right, that's ok by me but I always leave room for uncertainty. Don't want to convince myself of a truth which is beyond my experience.

Ok well I experienced death once but it was all subjective. Can I rely on my memory? I'd like to think so. Still I can't prove anything, so uncertainity.

Gambit

What is consciousness (or awareness) of all that exist? Is there some deep meaning in this question? What does it mean and how does it apply to awarenes?

I have already explained it in the OP of this thread. Consciousness and its contents are all that exists. What exactly is it that you don't understand?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I have already explained it in the OP of this thread. Consciousness and its contents are all that exists. What exactly is it that you don't understand?
Its all metaphysic language. My brain can only handle logical and straight foward definitions unless I can see something deep behind a view. This case, I cant.

What do you mean by: (your comments in quotes)

"Consciousness and its contents are all that exists."

What contents? Thoughts? Are youre saying that all that exist is our awareness? Awareneas of what?

“I believe that consciousness and its contents are all that exists. Space-time, matter and fields never were the fundamental denizens of the universe but have always been, from their beginning, among the humbler contents of consciousness, dependent on it for their very being.” - cognitive scientist, Donald Hoffman

Lost me.

So we are just minds and no bodies? We're product of the mind? Illusions?

Lost me.

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Seems to be totally counter factual - consciousness is a product of the mind, it can not exist without it.

George-ananda

Premium Member
It's a subtle but significant difference - a difference that has implications for the philosophical problem of the one and the many.
I like some philosophy but not too much. After a point, it turns into an unsolvable battle of egos to me. After the basics, the most important thing to me is be :).

George-ananda

Premium Member
Maybe to start, think of consciousness as the little voice in your head that is what you call you and is always there. Where does that voice/consciousness come from? Materialists say that it is the product of the movement of chemicals in the brain. Spiritualists say something like this voice/consciousness can't be created by chemicals but is something basic to the universe and enters the body to bring consciousness to the body. Going further, the quotes in the OP are saying all these individual consciousnesses are inter-connected and One experiencing all the different levels of material existence. At our normal level of voice/consciousness we feel individualized, but at higher mystical states we will start to feel this interconnectedness.

Hope you're less lost after this.

Gambit

Its all metaphysic language. My brain can only handle logical and straight foward definitions unless I can see something deep behind a view. This case, I cant.

I furnished you with a straightfoward and profound metaphysical insight.

What do you mean by: (your comments in quotes)

"Consciousness and its contents are all that exists."

The only thing that exists are sentient beings and their experiences.

“I believe that consciousness and its contents are all that exists. Space-time, matter and fields never were the fundamental denizens of the universe but have always been, from their beginning, among the humbler contents of consciousness, dependent on it for their very being.” - cognitive scientist, Donald Hoffman

Lost me.

That's not only a spiritually profound statement, but it's also a scientifically factual statement. (Of course, you would have to have some familiarity with quantum mechanics to truly appreciate that.)

So we are just minds and no bodies? We're product of the mind? Illusions?

Think of it this way. Where are the contents of dreams but in the mind of the dreamer.