• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Confucianism

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
What do people here think about Confucianism?

I have only just started looking into it and so far I have liked what I have seen

It has been said that contemporary Chinese society owes more to Confuscianism than it does to Communism

PureX

Veteran Member
He was big into "social control", so yes, Chinese society owes more to Confuscianism than it does to Communism.

I think of Confucious the way I think of Henry Ford. Brilliant, but so controlling that he sabotaged his own best intentions.

Eddi

Agnostic
Premium Member
He was big into "social control", so yes, Chinese society owes more to Confuscianism than it does to Communism.

I think of Confucious the way I think of Henry Ford. Brilliant, but so controlling that he sabotaged his own best intentions.
Do you think that it may contain things that may be of value to Westerners?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
He had a version of the Golden Rule about six centuries before Christ, and where such was probably in existence before his time.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you think that it may contain things that may be of value to Westerners?
We in the west go way too far in the other direction; worshiping individuality to the detriment of social cohesion and well-being.

Spice

StewardshipPeaceIntergityCommunityEquality

I have only just started looking into it and so far I have liked what I have seen

It has been said that contemporary Chinese society owes more to Confuscianism than it does to Communism
I've dabbled and found it quite similar in the Judeo-Christian Book of Proverbs for the day-to-day wisdoms to ponder.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.

I consider myself a follower of Confucianism. I have read most of the core texts.

Ultimately, Confucianism is seen as a political philosophy or moral philosophy rather than a theological one or religious one. Confucius himself practiced the traditional ancestor reverence rituals and other typical Chinese religious practice. Most notably, he is reported to have been a heavy reader of the I Ching. I remember it being recorded that Confucius said it would've been better if he spent his life dedicated to the focus of the I Ching rather than what he did instead. He spent his life going to the varying political leaders and feudal lords trying to convince them to implement his moral philosophy. He even held a few political roles if I recall correctly.

It's been a while since I've studied Confucianism in depth. Got good life tips and the such from the studies, but I think most importantly I practice fortune telling through the I Ching. This specific aspect of Confucianism is often overlooked, but Confucius himself regretted not spending his life consulting the book continually. So, I practice fortune telling through the I Ching and therefore consider myself a follower of Confucius.