• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

concert shutdown in violation of 1st amendment

Kapalika

Premium Member
"More recently, the rapper has said he’s changed. Chief Keef, 19, had billed the performance as a “Stop the Killing” benefit concert, meant to raise money for Marvin Carr, a fellow Chicago rapper who died in a shooting this month, and Dillan Harris, a 13-month-old child killed by a vehicle fleeing the scene of that shooting. The rapper opted not to appear in the Midwest in the flesh, citing outstanding warrants for his arrest, stemming from two child support cases."

"Mr. Jones said he told the police that Chief Keef would not be featured onstage. “No one ever gave me a reason why they didn’t want the hologram to appear,” he said. “They didn’t have a real reason. They believed that it would start trouble, but the first thing Chief Keef said via hologram was: ‘Chicago, we need to stop the violence. Let our kids live.’ ”

“It was for a really good cause, but sometimes the authorities can’t see that,” Mr. Jones continued. “They’re not our age.”

Now from another article...

“I know nothing about Chief Keef,” [Hammond] Mayor [Thomas M.] McDermott [Jr.], 46, said. “All I’d heard was he has a lot of songs about gangs and shooting people — a history that’s anti-cop, pro-gang and pro-drug use. He’s been basically outlawed in Chicago, and we’re not going to let you circumvent Mayor Emanuel by going next door.”

Nor does any change in the playlist justify the police shutting down the event, when the objection to the change was the inclusion of someone whose viewpoint the city disapproves of. And while Mayor Rahm Emanuel’s office objected to a similar event in Chicago — which a private venue called off after these objections — on the grounds that Keef’s performance “posed a significant public safety risk” (as well as Keef being “an unacceptable role model” and his music “promot[ing] violence”), such a general safety worry can’t justify preemptively shutting down the event, either. See, e.g.,Terminiello v. City of Chicago (1949), where speech was found to be constitutionally protected despite a much more concrete danger of violence.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/27/a...y-chief-keef-is-shut-down-by-police.html?_r=0

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ologram-appearance-first-amendment-violation/

-------------

I'd have to agree with the Washington Post, this is a pretty obvious violation of the 1st amendment. I don't care what you think of the guy or his music, he was trying to do something right and even if he wasn't the people at the concert were within their legal rights to play his music. He wasn't even there it was just a stream.

I think that the mayor and officers involved in shutting down the concert should all loose their jobs, be arrested and tried in a court and found guilty of abusing their power and suppressing free speech. This is not acceptable. This is not okay. This is not good. This is not legal. This is not correct. It is wrong, it is disgusting. It is unAmerican. It is evil. Nothing about how the police handled this is right or acceptable.

What more I don't get is that the mayor shut it down because of what another mayor said about him, he fully admits that the reason for shutting down the concert was hear-say. More reason that this "mayor" should loose his job and be tried for abusing his power.

I am outraged, just as much as an American as I am a musician. I refuse to be quiet and idle by while other musicians are silenced and people's rights are violated. I just wish I knew what more I could realistically do about this. It isn't in my state so it's not like I can write to the governor or someone like that not being a resident there, assuming he would even care.