• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Comic Book Subscription Ideas, recommendations?

ShivaFan

Satyameva Jayate
Premium Member
I like to buy magazines, and have subscriptions off and on.

But suddenly, now that I am nearing retirement, I feel like I am going back in time and have a yen to subscribe to a comic book. But I need some help finding a series since I have been out of the comic book scene for a very long time. The last comics I subscribed to goes back to the 1980s, when I was reading the Astroboy series of comics.

So I figure there have to be members here who can give some great recommendations.

But first, my bias on comic books.

* I like exotic action, fantasy adventure. Stuff in foreign lands and worlds. With odd ball characters, and sidekicks and even dicey characters and slightly nut case jobs. I am not “gothic” however, and not into “violent” characters though I don’t mind characters walking into dark corners, hanging out in gambling halls or battlefields or Indiana Jones type stuff. They can also be on other planets. I like animal characters in the mix as well.

* The art style is important to me. I am sort of a “traditionalist” but I like a lot of bold colors, not those with only shadows and greys. I like my characters to be “toons”, that is not looking like sketches of real people. The characters should be exotic and even have things like animal heads like you see in ancient Egypt and stuff like that, or your anime type big eyes and all that.

Any titles, series you might recommend? I want to go on a fantasy adventure on the wild side. You may wonder how Astroboy fitted into that scene, but actually Astroboy is fantastic in concept and theme. But I am ready for “new zone” and not just “old school”. I am not interested in the “majors” such as Batman (though I always did like Green Lantern), but things that play off of Robin Hood and the Merry Men or older themes, or knights with bows and arrows and swords and faeries and magick is all ok. Mythological and Religious themes I like too, even if put into a Fantasy-Adventure genre. I would love a crazy Jungle Book thing, too. But not the “skateboard” scene. Wild west with shootouts is ok, too.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Hindu deities are heroes in many comic books and videos now - that includes Krishna, Ganesha, Hanuman, and others. Yama also is a very popular hero, we have a serial going on on Indian TV - "Yama hain hum" (I am Yama). I am sure, Yama is waiting to punish the recalcitrants. Very popular among children, though some could be termed as blasphemies in other religions. Yama and his accountant, Chitragupta: