• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Challenge for atheists/ atheist position

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Can you convince me that I'm incorrect in my theism? Here is the thing though, no help from me, you'll have to simply present your argument, or realize that you don't have an argument suitable, and pass on the challenge.
I'm an honest person, not religious, this isn't a ''trick'' question. Non atheists can answer to

/fun thread

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Can you convince me that I'm incorrect in my theism? Here is the thing though, no help from me, you'll have to simply present your argument, or realize that you don't have an argument suitable, and pass on the challenge. Ie I'll let you know if your evidence etc comes close to an argument.
I'm an honest person, not religious, this isn't a ''trick'' question. Non atheists can answer to

/fun thread

Are you addressing a particular version of God (e.g. The Christian one) or belief in a not specified God?

Ciao

- viole

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Are you addressing a particular version of God (e.g. The Christian one) or belief in a not specified God?

Ciao

- viole
Well, if a deity is specified, it could be like a ''type'' of deity/// however, no, not specific, because then we just get into semantics, and there is too much disagreement on specific deity ideas even within the same religions/s/. Anything is welcome, though, this isn't supposed to be formal debate type thread.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Can you convince me that I'm incorrect in my theism? Here is the thing though, no help from me, you'll have to simply present your argument, or realize that you don't have an argument suitable, and pass on the challenge. Ie I'll let you know if your evidence etc comes close to an argument.

/fun thread
Can you define "your theism", as that is necessary before any discussion can be had. We have to know what we are trying to disprove.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Can you define "your theism", as that is necessary before any discussion can be had. We have to know what we are trying to disprove.
Theism in the broader sense. So, think of different types of deities, the theism idea to be argued against would have to cover those. Like, gods, etc., though, we can limit it to sentient beings. Things like an ''object'', no, that makes things too complicated. /even though people worship objects/

If you want you can present a specific deity argument, though, it's not a strict format

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Well, if a deity is specified, it could be like a ''type'' of deity/// however, no, not specific, because then we just get into semantics, and there is too much disagreement on specific deity ideas even within the same religions/s/. Anything is welcome, though, this isn't supposed to be formal debate type thread.

Well, yes. But we Can only possibly falsify things that are falsifiable to start with. If what you have in mind is not falsifiable, then I cannot possibly find any argument against that. By definition.

Unless you have falisifiable criteria in mind. My atheism is falsifiable. If I find myself at the pearly gates after my "death" then I will be falsified, for instance.

Ciao

- viole

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Theism in the broader sense. So, think of different types of feities, the theism idea to be argued against would have to cover those. Like, gods, etc., though, we can limit it to sentient beings. Things like an ''object'', no, that makes things too complicated. /even though people worship objects/
So, what is the specific theism in question that you are asking us to disprove?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Theism in the broader sense. So, think of different types of deities, the theism idea to be argued against would have to cover those. Like, gods, etc., though, we can limit it to sentient beings. Things like an ''object'', no, that makes things too complicated. /even though people worship objects/

If you want you can present a specific deity argument, though, it's not a strict format

How is that different from asking you to find arguments against my belief in cnbzvczxmcb?

Ciao

- viole

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Well, yes. But we Can only possibly falsify things that are falsifiable to start with. If what you have in mind is not falsifiable, then I cannot possibly find any argument against that. By definition.

Unless you have falisifiable criteria in mind. My atheism is falsifiable. If I find myself at the pearly gates after my "death" then I will be falsified, for instance.

Ciao

- viole
Ah, but I did not say ''prove'' your argument. Merely present a convincing one. That can be done, right? Perhaps not; if you think it can't, then you have answered whether you think that argument can be presented or not.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Without knowing what sort of god(s) you believe in, I think this is just going to end up as a game of "guess q konn's beliefs". The specific of a person's theism are important in how to argue against it.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
How is that different from asking you to find arguments against my belief in cnbzvczxmcb?

Ciao

- viole
It's completely different. You don't know what ''theism'' means? You list yourself as an atheist, but you are equating theism with an nonsense question..

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It's completely different. You don't know what ''theism'' means? You list yourself as an atheist, but you are equating theism with an nonsense question..
Theism is a broad category. Arguing against theism in general would be like arguing against sports in general. Arguments against baseball aren't going to apply to polo or biathlon.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Ah, but I did not say ''prove'' your argument. Merely present a convincing one. That can be done, right? Perhaps not; if you think it can't, then you have answered whether you think that argument can be presented or not.

Without additional definitions? No, it can't be done.

You are perfectly free to believe in undefined things without running the risk of being contradicted. Alas, everybody can.

Ciao

- viole