• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Cecil

Altfish

Veteran Member
The cops kill black men and women on a regular basis and a few people get upset.
A dentist kills a lion and the whole world gets upset.

Beam me up, Scotty

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The cops kill black men and women on a regular basis and a few people get upset.

Beam me up, Scotty
Cops kill tons of people of all colors in America on a regular basis. We hear about it in the news all the time. It has caused rioting in the streets and fueled radical Islamic recruitment in the US. However in the defense of the lion story there are far fewer lions left. Humans are not endangered.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Beam me up, Scotty
He broke the law and it seems he escaped but his buddies did not escape. It isn't about a dead lion.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan

Beam me up, Scotty

I think a lot of people do get upset about the violence in America. It's heartening that we can look past our anthropocentric thinking enough to care about other species. They are living beings, after all, and suffer.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member

Beam me up, Scotty
Uh-huh. Because no one ever talks about black people getting shot in America. It's never ever on the news. In fact, it's a closely guarded state-secret!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not extraditing the man is a statement that Americans need not obey the laws of a (presumed) lesser country.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
In a very big way I can sympathise with poor African people poaching valuable endangered species. They don't have many other options.
Rich foreigners who go to kill them better follow the law. This guy really needs to get sent back to face the music. His punishment will probably seem extreme to westerners, but that's just how it is.
He destroyed something very valuable to Zimbabwe and the price should be heavy.
Tom

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The report suggests that it was a premeditated killing. WHY would a person do that? For no good reason.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
[

Good thing he didn't kill Bambi.

Which laws?
Did the report says he "lured" the lion out of the park to be killed? The law seems to be that there is no killing in the park. he is a coward and a sneaky *******. in my opinion.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Which laws
Most African countries have really harsh laws concerning poaching. And they are not really big on "innocent until proven guilty", or other western legal niceties. I would not be surprised if he got a 20 year sentence in a hellhole of an African prison.
Of course, a couple million bucks will buy a lot of justice.
Tom

Marisa

Beam me up, Scotty
It is disturbing that it seems some can muster more empathy for a different species than they can for their own.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
It is disturbing that it seems some can muster more empathy for a different species than they can for their own.
It's disturbing that some would draw this conclusion and then choose to focus on it. What evidence do have suggesting that a significant number of those outraged by Cecil are not more empathetic when it comes to human victims of human atrocities?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think that killing another human being might be caused by some twisted anger. Going to Africa to kill a national symbol has to do with evil feelings of superiority. I think the man should be brought down. Also, why should his cohorts suffer but the man who did the deed get away free?

Marisa

It's disturbing that some would draw this conclusion and then choose to focus on it. What evidence do have suggesting that a significant number of those outraged by Cecil are not more empathetic when it comes to human victims of human atrocities?
Well, for starters I didn't say it was worth not focusing on Cecil but do go ahead and assume that what I really meant. :D