• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Boddhistava Precepts

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
Q: Isnt being one with the Buddha the same as being one with the Dharma? What is the difference?
Buddha is conscious awareness
Dharma is the understanding
Sangha is the community

Life is here to educate us through opposition; since for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction....So everything can helps us find the middle line, if we keep to the precepts above. ;)

Vishvavajra

I have a question. As Buddhas, we are constantly obtaining the knowledge of the Buddha; wisdom of enlightenment. I was reading about the 16 precrepts here:
4 Bodhisattva Vows — The 16 Precepts | threshold journal

The first three is:

Being one with the Buddha
Being one with the Dharma
Being one with the Sangha

Q: Isnt being one with the Buddha the same as being one with the Dharma? What is the difference?
I haven't been schooled on those yet. Some members of my sangha traveled to NY to take the bodhisattva precepts last year or so, and they got an in-depth explanation of their meaning beforehand, but I wasn't among them. And I'm not sure if the Dharma Drum tradition phrases them this way.

However, I can say that they are conventionally different ways of approaching the same thing. The Buddha is one's capacity for Awakening, one's true nature that is free of restrictions. The Dharma is the body of teachings that help lead one to manifesting that innate liberation in daily practice. The Sangha is the community of fellow travelers who offer support and encouragement in that regard.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
In a sense there is none. On the other hand, there is value in explicitly reminding people that they should be aware of and in harmony with all three aspects. If nothing else, it helps in warning against neglecting any of the three by over-emphasizing one or both of the others.