• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheist agenda: charity

ellenjanuary

I wrote three atheist agenda topics today, give this one a spin; tell me what you think. ;)

Meaningful Atheistic Charity.

Why does religious charity trump atheistic charity? Lemme give it to ya straight and simple. If you go to a simple country of simple people living in simple faith, and you say, “I'm here to help;” unconsciously or consciously the simple peasant is gonna go, why? First of all, when things are simple, they require work; something for nothing is not a new concept, it is an inconceivable concept. Secondly, helping one village makes that village the envy of their neighbors; which according to the first rule means target. If they can look past that, the wanna know that you have a commitment. Simple people understand god. If you're there to do god's work, you have all the advantages. If you're there for philosophy, you have all the disadvantages. Simple people will tell you, they can pray for rain; but philosophy just means being all wet.

Ready to go deep? Ready to steal a march on the crusaders; a stride so long, that it is possible the religious will never recover?

But one must think deep, to go deep. Ten, twenty years; with zero or perhaps negative progress. That's the bad news. The good news? Starts with a single word, leaves the competition in the dust, and has no top end... well, other than global equality. What is that word? Infrastructure.

Here's the deal. The truism is: give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. Now, let us look at the truth. Run the logistics. Say, one trained fisherman; two month commitment, no guarantees. Or, a C5 with a bellyload of yesterday's catch. Which one makes the news as a five second blurb? Which one sells?

My viewpoint is obviously slanted, living in the stoopid-wealthy city of Phoenix; but I have walked half across this country, I have been homeless for half my life across a tenth of these states. I know poor; and I know that I cannot know extreme poverty, because of the national infrastructure.

I also know, there is only hunger and poverty in the world; because we allow hunger and poverty in the world. Because “charity” has been reduced to a mere token. Toss yer nickle in the bucket, all the weeks sins, washed away. Now, I know you don't wanna hear no Bible, so's I just paraphrase. When Jesus said, do not be showy with your alms; he meant build infrastructure, not score advertizing material. So, what you cats need to do, is build infrastructure; the lower, the nastier, the better. A road or a sewer line between villages, takes a dog's age, takes commitment; and there ain't no glory in being covered in ****** all day. But once you got that road, or that line; all the villages along the way benefit. Busting up the neighbor's road is just gonna hurt your commerce down the road. Now, if you have an organization, with some big, identifiable mascot or logo, and uniforms; and you are in these villages doing the scut work, day in, day out, that logo, that uniform, will give the simple people a simple icon to believe in. A commitment. FSM – Anti-Hunger Crusaders!

Just some advice – I wouldn’t deny god so much as deny religion. Let them see “philosophy” as “god,” without all the preaching, threats and promises; and as something involving real people making a real difference. And FSM will conquer the world, from the least to the greatest. Besides, you're atheists; can you actually do stuff without trying to educate someone? There will be young in the village with the intellectual capacity to understand atheism on its own terms. Don't try to recruit nobody, don't try to push an agenda, just let it happen. We're all monkeys, right? Curious monkeys, right? Sho-nuff.

And the bonus prize? The religious, cannot compete. They have been in it for the sound bites for so long; that if one church or sect tries to duplicate your innovation, the others will turn on their “weak” with known techniques, rather than fight something for which they just lack the stamina.

There has always been atheism; and atheism has always failed, and why has it failed? Lack of infrastructure. Yet this is truly a new age. Atheism can stand now, and stand forever; become what it should have been long ago. Reason. Defined in its own terms, and not by a- theism. For myself, I would donate; I tend not to give to large charities for exactly these reasons, I tend to give to people. Because people matter, while advertizing, is merely a distraction.

And if they give you any lip; tell 'em ellenjanuary, prophet of god, sent ya. ;)

Flipper

To me defining oneself as an atheist alone is fairly empty. That is why I identify as a Secular Humanist, which means I am also an Atheist by definition. I am also an Anarchist and a Nihilist.

On the subject of charity in any form. Which is truly more altruistic, the religious person who is charitable because they believe they believe it is the duty as mandated by some Supreme Being for which they will be suitably rewarded in some other life or the atheist for who is charitable because there is a/are fellow human being/s in need?

Which raises an interesting dilemma for the atheist. If they are not doing it for reward why should they bother? Are lizard brains are programmed to look out for ones self first, right? Sure if your lizard brain never evolved past the Stone Age, but in most modern societies there is no longer the fight for survival that there was when we were all tribalistic hunter/gatherers. No we have the capacity to support working towards increasing the well-being of the entire human species. Which is why I am a Secular Humanist.

tomteapack

tomteapack
I wrote three atheist agenda topics today, give this one a spin; tell me what you think. ;)

Meaningful Atheistic Charity.

Why does religious charity trump atheistic charity? Lemme give it to ya straight and simple. If you go to a simple country of simple people living in simple faith, and you say, “I'm here to help;” unconsciously or consciously the simple peasant is gonna go, why? First of all, when things are simple, they require work; something for nothing is not a new concept, it is an inconceivable concept. Secondly, helping one village makes that village the envy of their neighbors; which according to the first rule means target. If they can look past that, the wanna know that you have a commitment. Simple people understand god. If you're there to do god's work, you have all the advantages. If you're there for philosophy, you have all the disadvantages. Simple people will tell you, they can pray for rain; but philosophy just means being all wet.

Ready to go deep? Ready to steal a march on the crusaders; a stride so long, that it is possible the religious will never recover?

But one must think deep, to go deep. Ten, twenty years; with zero or perhaps negative progress. That's the bad news. The good news? Starts with a single word, leaves the competition in the dust, and has no top end... well, other than global equality. What is that word? Infrastructure.

Here's the deal. The truism is: give a man a fish, he eats for a day, teach a man to fish, he eats for a lifetime. Now, let us look at the truth. Run the logistics. Say, one trained fisherman; two month commitment, no guarantees. Or, a C5 with a bellyload of yesterday's catch. Which one makes the news as a five second blurb? Which one sells?

My viewpoint is obviously slanted, living in the stoopid-wealthy city of Phoenix; but I have walked half across this country, I have been homeless for half my life across a tenth of these states. I know poor; and I know that I cannot know extreme poverty, because of the national infrastructure.

I also know, there is only hunger and poverty in the world; because we allow hunger and poverty in the world. Because “charity” has been reduced to a mere token. Toss yer nickle in the bucket, all the weeks sins, washed away. Now, I know you don't wanna hear no Bible, so's I just paraphrase. When Jesus said, do not be showy with your alms; he meant build infrastructure, not score advertizing material. So, what you cats need to do, is build infrastructure; the lower, the nastier, the better. A road or a sewer line between villages, takes a dog's age, takes commitment; and there ain't no glory in being covered in ****** all day. But once you got that road, or that line; all the villages along the way benefit. Busting up the neighbor's road is just gonna hurt your commerce down the road. Now, if you have an organization, with some big, identifiable mascot or logo, and uniforms; and you are in these villages doing the scut work, day in, day out, that logo, that uniform, will give the simple people a simple icon to believe in. A commitment. FSM – Anti-Hunger Crusaders!

Just some advice – I wouldn’t deny god so much as deny religion. Let them see “philosophy” as “god,” without all the preaching, threats and promises; and as something involving real people making a real difference. And FSM will conquer the world, from the least to the greatest. Besides, you're atheists; can you actually do stuff without trying to educate someone? There will be young in the village with the intellectual capacity to understand atheism on its own terms. Don't try to recruit nobody, don't try to push an agenda, just let it happen. We're all monkeys, right? Curious monkeys, right? Sho-nuff.

And the bonus prize? The religious, cannot compete. They have been in it for the sound bites for so long; that if one church or sect tries to duplicate your innovation, the others will turn on their “weak” with known techniques, rather than fight something for which they just lack the stamina.

There has always been atheism; and atheism has always failed, and why has it failed? Lack of infrastructure. Yet this is truly a new age. Atheism can stand now, and stand forever; become what it should have been long ago. Reason. Defined in its own terms, and not by a- theism. For myself, I would donate; I tend not to give to large charities for exactly these reasons, I tend to give to people. Because people matter, while advertizing, is merely a distraction.

And if they give you any lip; tell 'em ellenjanuary, prophet of god, sent ya. ;)
All this is personal religious bias and opinion and has nothing to do with fact.
Fact, atheism has been around longer than any religion. There have always been "unbelievers" and there always will.
Fact, Bill Gates has given more to provide the ability to "FISH" than any 5 religions you care to invent, name or suggest. ONE atheist, beats millions of Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and others.
'Nuff said!

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
All this is personal religious bias and opinion and has nothing to do with fact.
Fact, atheism has been around longer than any religion. There have always been "unbelievers" and there always will.
Fact, Bill Gates has given more to provide the ability to "FISH" than any 5 religions you care to invent, name or suggest. ONE atheist, beats millions of Christians, Muslims, Buddhists and others.
'Nuff said!

Erm...it's really late here, and I should be asleep, but I feel like I just wandered into the Twilight Zone or something.

Atheism hasn't been around any longer than theism. How can it exist alone when it is a negative statement?

I'm not even sure what to say about the rest, really. I lived in a very remote part of Papua New Guinea for a couple of years, and have see the impact of religious charity first hand. I have also seen the way in which charity was seen by the locals, first hand. It's a far more complex issue than you are giving it credit for...happy to discuss it more if a rational discussion is in the offing, but it kinda looks unlikely.