• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

As in the days of Noah...

k4c

Matthew 24:36-39 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Right before Jesus comes back the whole world will be like it was in the days of Noah. Here is what it was like in the days of Noah.

Genesis 6:5-9 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Since the fall of man God had a plan to reconcile and restore His creation. God’s plan would be resisted by those, whether angelic or human, who desire to sit and rule as god over creation. So yes, God had to resort to many things in order to protect His plan. These things were against His nature to do but they were necessary in light of the big picture.

Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

We must not use the old ways to form our understanding of God. The old ways in which God had to do things that were strange and against His loving nature in order to protect His plan of reconciliation to redemption, a plan that is even resisted today.

Today we are to look to Jesus to see the true character of God, not the Old Testament.

Hebrews 1:1-12 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son

When we see Jesus, we see the true image of God. Here is what God reveals through Jesus about His true character and nature. In other words, this is what God is really like.

Matthew 5:38-45 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Let’s be fair with God and not use the old ways to judge His character. The hand of God was forced to do what He did in times past because of the condition of man's heart and what He was working with. It would be like the United States trying to make friends with ISIS as they kill and behead people.

In the end, when we get the clear picture of what God was forced to do to bring about His plan of reconciliation to redemption, He will be vindicated.

Revelation 7:9-10 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindred, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

We must learn not to judge a man’s character or motives by what he does under extreme conditions.

Last edited:

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
We must not use the old ways to form our understanding of God. The old ways in which God had to do things that were strange and against His loving nature in order to protect His plan of reconciliation to redemption, a plan that is even resisted today.

Let’s be fair with God and not use the old ways to judge His character. The hand of God was forced to do what He did in times past because of the condition of man's heart and what He was working with. It would be like the United States trying to make friends with ISIS as they kill and behead people.

In the end, when we get the clear picture of what God was forced to do to bring about His plan of reconciliation to redemption, He will be vindicated.
So the murder of the first-born of Egypt, you just kinda expect us to;

1) Say that it happened(despite no evidence it occurred)

and

2) Accept that child-murder is justifiable despite not being justifiable for any possible reason

That's...okay? You can't make the 'Noah Argument' that (somehow) literally everything but Noah's family and the animals he picked out were so bad that they had to die. There is nothing in the text that says the first-born of Egypt were at fault, and instead were murdered because their parents didn't listen to the raving loon. It's no different than your kid being shot because you didn't milk a cat or jerk-off a goat like the insane, ****-smelling homeless man told you.

k4c

So the murder of the first-born of Egypt, you just kinda expect us to;

1) Say that it happened(despite no evidence it occurred)

and

2) Accept that child-murder is justifiable despite not being justifiable for any possible reason

That's...okay? You can't make the 'Noah Argument' that (somehow) literally everything but Noah's family and the animals he picked out were so bad that they had to die. There is nothing in the text that says the first-born of Egypt were at fault, and instead were murdered because their parents didn't listen to the raving loon. It's no different than your kid being shot because you didn't milk a cat or jerk-off a goat like the insane, ****-smelling homeless man told you.

God, even in judgement, gives people a way out. The Destroyer would pass over you if you put lamb's blood on the door posts. Even on the last day of earth as we know it God's judgement will pass over you if you have the Lamb's blood on the door posts of your heart. Judgement is coming and God has prepared another ark for all who desires to get in.

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
God, even in judgement, gives people a way out. The Destroyer would pass over you if you put lamb's blood on the door posts. Even on the last day of earth as we know it God's judgement will pass over you if you have the Lamb's blood on the door posts of your heart. Judgement is coming and God has prepared another ark for all who desires to get in.
But I didn't say anything about the parents. I'm asking why their children were the ones punished.

k4c

But I didn't say anything about the parents. I'm asking why their children were the ones punished.

Could be that God was working off Pharaoh's orders to kill all the newborns, Exodus 1:22. Either way, even in God's judgement He made a way out for everyone.

NewGuyOnTheBlock

Cult Survivor/Fundamentalist Pentecostal Apostate
Matthew 24:36-39 “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only. But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be. For as in the days before the flood, they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and did not know until the flood came and took them all away, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be.

Right before Jesus comes back the whole world will be like it was in the days of Noah. Here is what it was like in the days of Noah.

Genesis 6:5-9 Then the Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart. So the Lord said, “I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth, both man and beast, creeping thing and birds of the air, for I am sorry that I have made them.” But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.

Since the fall of man God had a plan to reconcile and restore His creation. God’s plan would be resisted by those, whether angelic or human, who desire to sit and rule as god over creation. So yes, God had to resort to many things in order to protect His plan. These things were against His nature to do but they were necessary in light of the big picture.

Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?’

Today we are to look to Jesus to see the true character of God, not the Old Testament.

Hebrews 1:1-12 God, who at various times and in various ways spoke in time past to the fathers by the prophets, has in these last days spoken to us by His Son

When we see Jesus, we see the true image of God. Here is what God reveals through Jesus about His true character and nature. In other words, this is what God is really like.

Matthew 5:38-45 “You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.And whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two.Give to him who asks you, and from him who wants to borrow from you do not turn away. “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.

Revelation 7:9-10 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindred, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands; And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.

We must learn not to judge a man’s character or motives by what he does under extreme conditions.

This whole line of crap is utterly nonsensical and fails the most basic fundamental rules of logic.

We are dealing with an infinite, omnipotent being. This line of thought places limits on an limitless being. For such a being, wee little man can not be a "threat" to his "plan". He is believed to be able to "speak" us into existence, but for some reason, he can't "speak" us out of existence. He can't cause these people to just "not wake up" the next morning and take their lives early (as he supposedly did to the first born in Egypt). No, he has to flood the entire world and murder them en masses in fear and terror. He can't "speak" another universe or suitable planet into existence and just whisk the "threats" to his plan away. The entire ridiculous idea that God must perform immoral deeds in order to protect his "plan" is utterly nonsensical.

jojom

So all of the work Noah did, and all the men, women, and children god killed in the flood was all for naught. Nice going god!

A plan that failed because god was unable to forsee the consequences. No so omniscient after all, are you, god.

Because to do that would put god in a bad light. So the plan is to stick our heads in the sand and pretend they never took place.

Again, because what? God confessed all his sins described in the old testament and now the slate should be wiped clean?

Let’s be fair with God and not use the old ways to judge His character.
"Fair"???? You've got to be kidding. :rolleyes:

The hand of God was forced to do what He did in times past because of the condition of man's heart and what He was working with. It would be like the United States trying to make friends with ISIS as they kill and behead people.
Then god isn't so omnipotent after all; mere humankind being able to ruin his game plans. :(

And this is a god you believe worthy of worship and adoration? Heck, I bet he puts his slippers on the wrong feet when he gets up in the morning.

So now god is no better than we mere mortals. Is all of this really your theology?

Last edited:

k4c

So all of the work Noah did, and all the men, women, and children god killed in the flood was all for naught. Nice going god!

A plan that failed because god was unable to forsee the consequences. No so omniscient after all are you, god.

Because to do that would put god in a bad light. So the plan is to stick our heads in the sand and pretend they never took place.

Again, because what? God confessed all his sins described in the old testament and now the slate should be wiped clean?

"Fair"???? You've got to be kidding. :rolleyes:

Then god isn't so omnipotent after; mere humankind being able to ruin his game plans. :(

And this is a god you believe worthy of worship and adoration? Heck, I bet he puts his slippers on the wrong feet when he gets up in the morning.

So now god is no better than we mere mortals. Is all of this really your theology?

You, me and everyone else need to understand the difference between God's ideal and God's concessions. For example, does God promote slavery or does God have to allow slavery because of the free will He gave to mankind to do evil or good? Here is God's ideal when it comes to the evils of slavery.

Deuteronomy 23:15 “You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him.

Kirran

Premium Member
I still see no justification for God killing the innocent firstborn children of the Egyptians. We must remember, this would include newborn babies on up.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You, me and everyone else need to understand the difference between God's ideal and God's concessions. For example, does God promote slavery or does God have to allow slavery because of the free will He gave to mankind to do evil or good? Here is God's ideal when it comes to the evils of slavery.

Deuteronomy 23:15 “You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him.
Why is it that god can concede with slavery but not homosexuality?

jojom

The God of the Jews is not the God of Jesus.
This is one of those meaningless quips designed to excuse god from his past actions. And while the New Testament certainly does cast him in a new light, this doesn't change what he did B.C. or absolve him of his guilt. As the saying goes, a pig in lipstick is still a pig.

Last edited:

jojom

Nice cherry picking, but god doesn't get off that easily.

However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)​

Doesn't appear god feels slavery is evil at all. If he did then he's guilty of consciously promoting evil.

averageJOE

zombie
Could be that God was working off Pharaoh's orders to kill all the newborns, Exodus 1:22. Either way, even in God's judgement He made a way out for everyone.
Wow. Just wow.

You are claiming the all powerful god was carrying out the orders of a mere human???

k4c

There are different kinds of slavery/servant. Sometimes the word, slavery and servant are interchangeable but they carry two different thoughts. To be a servant in a home of one who was well off was a desirable thing in those days.

Exodus 21:1-6 “Now these are the judgments which you shall set before them: If you buy a Hebrew servant, he shall serve six years; and in the seventh he shall go out free and pay nothing. If he comes in by himself, he shall go out by himself; if he comes in married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master has given him a wife, and she has borne him sons or daughters, the wife and her children shall be her master’s, and he shall go out by himself. But if the servant plainly says, ‘I love my master, my wife, and my children; I will not go out free,’ then his master shall bring him to the judges. He shall also bring him to the door, or to the doorpost, and his master shall pierce his ear with an awl; and he shall serve him forever.

The slavery and bondage that we see in Egypt or in the movie Roots is always wrong.

k4c

When is this about to happen?

No one knows the day or the hour but you can tell the time is near from what God says the last days will be like.

Matthew 24:5-8 For many will come in My name, saying, ‘I am the Christ,’ and will deceive many. And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows.

Luke 21:25 “And there will be signs in the sun, in the moon, and in the stars; and on the earth distress of nations, with perplexity, the sea and the waves roaring; men’s hearts failing them from fear and the expectation of those things which are coming on the earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”

2 Timothy 3:1-5 But know this, that in the last days perilous times will come: For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, unloving, unforgiving, slanderers, without self-control, brutal, despisers of good, traitors, headstrong, haughty, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having a form of godliness but denying its power. And from such people turn away!

k4c

God allows sin to flourish until it starts to interferes with His plan of redemption. There are people all over the world living in sin and yet the would is still here. God will one day judge the world in righteousness but until that day we all have the opportunity to repent. Now sin itself has a punishment too that has nothing to do with God's judgement. Remember, God told Adam and Eve not to eat of the tree because they day they did they would die. God didn't say, "The day you eat of it I will kill you". God is saving us from sin through Jesus Christ.