• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

are DEISTS atheists?

tomasortega

are deists atheists? if an atheist is one without belief in a personal god, does that not make deists atheists also?

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend tomasortega,

Please excuse me for presenting another view to respond to your query.

Sanatan dharma is unique because it is not *a* religion. WHY?
Religion is a WAY or PATH to understanding the *self* and Sanatan dharma is not about *a* way but as many ways as humans and is open ended where evolution is also acceptable.
Coming to the point.
Sanatan dharma is a way of life meaning whatever be your way in life is also a way be it be labeled *atheist or deists or anything.
The other way since *god* is only a concept for an understanding it can be said that there is no *god* so everyone is an atheist??
If we look at it scientifically we see that everything is energy in different forms. One energy but in different forms.

Love & rgds

tomasortega

well im not talking religions, im talking faith or belief in a personal god. neither atheists nor deists believe in a personal theistic god.....theists dont think of god as a concept for an understanding. they say its a real being.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
are deists atheists? if an atheist is one without belief in a personal god, does that not make deists atheists also?

Interesting question. I'd say that they are deists, not atheists. They still believe in some sort of intelligent, conscious being that created everything.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
No, although a Deist does not usually believe in a personal anthropomorphic God, we do believe that one can get to know God (as best a human can), through nature and understanding the laws of nature.
A Deist has a more Agnostic view of God than Atheistic. We understand that while reason and rationality can lead to a Deistic view of God, ultimately we have to rely on simple faith. There is no proof of God, and the more we understand the workings of the universe, the closer we will get to understanding more about God. Or we may find that the evidence leads us away from that belief.

rojse

RF Addict

Deism is a belief that God started the universe and did not intervene since then. Atheism is not merely a disbelief in a personal god, but any methodology of belief of gods.

tomasortega

i know the difference between deism and atheism. what im saying is from a theist standpoint, deism and atheism are the same in the sense that neither believes in a personal theistic god, and thus will go to whatever version of "hell" (if any) the theist believes in. so to the theist, a deist is an atheist (or unbeliever) from a christian standpoint for example it wont do you any good if you believe in creationism if you dont also believe in jesus christ.

also i beg to differ on atheism. if you take the word a-theist it simply means without belief in a personal god period not more not less. i dont think atheism is the belief in the inexistence of one/or more gods. i think atheists hold open the possibility of the existence of a god, though dont believe in such a being because the evidence is lacking. remember the word is not a-DEIST, its A-THEIST.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
i know the difference between deism and atheism. what im saying is from a theist standpoint, deism and atheism are the same in the sense that neither believes in a personal theistic god, and thus will go to whatever version of "hell" (if any) the theist believes in. so to the theist, a deist is an atheist (or unbeliever) from a christian standpoint for example it wont do you any good if you believe in creationism if you dont also believe in jesus christ.

also i beg to differ on atheism. if you take the word a-theist it simply means without belief in a personal god period not more not less. i dont think atheism is the belief in the inexistence of one/or more gods. i think atheists hold open the possibility of the existence of a god, though dont believe in such a being because the evidence is lacking. remember the word is not a-DEIST, its A-THEIST.
Theism is not limited to belief in a personal god or a literal interpretation. Even Christianity has its mystics.

Gunfingers

Happiness Incarnate
By this logic you can lump together not only atheists and deists, but every other religion that isn't yours.

tomasortega

By this logic you can lump together not only atheists and deists, but every other religion that isn't yours.

correct, we are all atheists to other religions, atheists and deists are simply atheists to any personal theistic god, this is where they are the same.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
LOL, one of the most useless threads I ever found here must have been the reoccuring atheist vs agnost threads..
What you describe here will be accepted by a few only if you call it "agnostic atheist"..

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
correct, we are all atheists to other religions, atheists and deists are simply atheists to any personal theistic god, this is where they are the same.

:no:
I am atheist because I reject a concept, not a religion.. So in no way can I be an "atheist to a religion."

Hitchey

Atheists don't believe in a got of any kind. Deists believe a god of some description kick-started the universe and then backed off. Atheist don't believe even this. They see the universe as having started as the result of a natural process not involving any sort of intelligence.

Deists, are theists, not atheists, but they are the next best thing. :)

Hitchey

i know the difference between deism and atheism. what im saying is from a theist standpoint, deism and atheism are the same in the sense that neither believes in a personal theistic god, and thus will go to whatever version of "hell" (if any) the theist believes in.
My understanding (and this is coming from Evangelical Christians) is that everyone who believes differently from Evangelical Christians will probably go to Hell. :)

tomasortega said:
... so to the theist, a deist is an atheist (or unbeliever)
It sounds like you have made up your mind that deists are not theists. Deists see themselves as theists, not as atheists. You are not being accurate with your definitions. However, I would probably agree that right-wing Christians see deists as atheists.

tomasortega said:
... from a christian standpoint for example it wont do you any good if you believe in creationism if you dont also believe in jesus christ.
You are not thinking this through. You should be aware that many Christians reject creationism. Many Christians see evolution as a reality and creationism as myth.

tomasortega said:
... also i beg to differ on atheism. if you take the word a-theist it simply means without belief in a personal god...
Wrong! Theist in no way implies belief in a personal god. It means only belief in a god or gods.

tomasortega said:
i dont think atheism is the belief in the inexistence of one/or more gods. i think atheists hold open the possibility of the existence of a god
Wrong again! I am an atheist and reject the possibility of any gods existing Many athesits think as I do. Go to the Dawkins website. There is a poll asking this very question. You will find that a significant number of atheists reject all possibility of gods existing.

tomasortega said:
... remember the word is not a-DEIST, its A-THEIST.
That is because deists are thesits. They are not classed as atheists and do not thing of themselves as atheists.

What I am noticing is that you have many wrong assumptions about what atheists believe. LIke Christians we have a broad range of views. Some hold open the possibilty of some sort of god existing; others do not. Contrary to the understanding of most Christians, some atheists do believe in some sort of afterlife, but not an afterlife such as Christians hope for. You may be accustomed to tying your belief in an afterlife to God and wrongly make the assumption that belief in a god is a prerequisite to belief in an afterlife. Drop that view. It is wrong!

blackout

Violet.
Somewhere on the forum I read tonight...

A' the' ist
No God Belief

No means... No I guess. right?

It doesn't mean

No "Personal" God Belief.

Pantheists also have no personal gOd beliefs.