• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anyone want a Golden Retriever?! >:(

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'm very mad at my dog. He keeps tearing up my books when my mom and I are both out somewhere. I could handle him tearing up my copy of Frankenstein since I have that on my Kindle. But this time he's crossed the line! He tore up my copy of the Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead which is apparently out of print and I'm a hardcore ROTLD fanboy. That was one of my prized possessions. Copies of that go for between $53 to over $300! He also tore up some other things that are going to be hard or impossible to replace.

I don't know why he does this. He knows it's bad because he cowers and acts guilty when I see it. I spank him, too. So why does he do it? I told him to stay away from me tonight. I'm ticked. We buy him toys and he destroys those, too.

I've never raised a dog before, so I'm not sure what to do.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Just give him chew toys, leave on the radio or TV, and for sure use a kennel when you're gone until he seems to have less separation anxiety.
Hmm, never thought about leaving the TV or radio on. He's only 1, so he's still very much a puppy.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

For pities sake - give the dog away man !!

Give it to someone who will love it....DONT EVER SPANK IT - just because it ruined your posessions..?...Or what are you really saying here - your prized comic book is worth more than your dogs happiness..?..Your comic is prized above your FAMILY MEMBERS then..?..And if you dont actualy view the dog as a family member - then as said,for pities sake,give it to someone who will treat it that way...You INVITED it into your home to share your life - if you place such a paultry value on its welfare,then simply you are not even ready for that resopnsibility - clearly - so do the right thng and rehome it is the best advise..

See what you are doing here - you even tell us clearly - you DONT UNDERSTAND THE DOG - so your answer is what..?..To punish it - spank it,physically abuse it - even though you dont know WHY he does it,still,in your ANGER you are going to smack it - and that doesnt work does it - he continues to chew the house anyway - so see what happens - in your frustration,builds and builds,eventually,you are going to beat the dog,probably lose control..WHERE will that stop ,do you honestly think..?...

And you tell us - you havent even tried the obvious things ..?..First resort then..?..Was to hit the dog..?..Either you need to LEARN about your dog - or if thats too much effort - then rehome it to someone who will care for it properly..Dont ever beat an animal simply because it gt you angry...It DIDNT bite you,did it..?...Didnt ATTACK you,did it..?...NO - so how does it deserve that treatment in response..?...Would you spank your mother if she ruined your favoirite shirt in the wash.?..NO - of course not - so why treat this dog any differently..?...Its rather - despicable - If you place your material posessions above that dogs welfare in this manner,then simply,you are not ready or deserving of that friendship and bond - rehome the dog now before you hurt both yourselves further..

If though,you would like to do right by your friend here - then honestly - it is a simple issue to deal with - but will require some commitment from you,that is all...Be committed to that dog,in the same way you are committed to your other family members - yes..?..Patience - tolerance - LOVE...Your comic is just that - a silly comic that is simply irrelevant when compared to another living Soul - dont you agree..?.

Last edited:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Hi Folks..

Give it to someone who will love it....DONT EVER SPANK IT - just because it ruined your posessions..?...Or what are you really saying here - your prized comic book is worth more than your dogs happiness..?..Your comic is prized above your FAMILY MEMBERS then..?..And if you dont actualy view the dog as a family member - then as said,for pities sake,give it to someone who will treat it that way...You INVITED it into your home to share your life - if you place such a paultry value on its welfare,then simply you are not even ready for that resopnsibility - clearly - so do the right thng and rehome it is the best advise..

See what you are doing here - you even tell us clearly - you DONT UNDERSTAND THE DOG - so your answer is what..?..To punish it - spank it,physically abuse it - even though you dont know WHY he does it,still,in your ANGER you are going to smack it - and that doesnt work does it - he continues to chew the house anyway - so see what happens - in your frustration,builds and builds,eventually,you are going to beat the dog,probably lose control..WHERE will that stop ,do you honestly think..?...

And you tell us - you havent even tried the obvious things ..?..First resort then..?..Was to hit the dog..?..Either you need to LEARN about your dog - or if thats too much effort - then rehome it to someone who will care for it properly..Dont ever beat an animal simply because it gt you angry...It DIDNT bite you,did it..?...Didnt ATTACK you,did it..?...NO - so how does it deserve that treatment in response..?...If you place your material poseesions above that dogs welfare in this manner,then simply,you are not ready or deserving of that bond - rehome the dog now before you hurt yourselves further..
Wtf. You're making up hurtful accusations. I don't "beat" my dog or abuse him. I love him very much and he is definitely a part of my family. There's not many that love animals more than me. Take your nonsense elsewhere.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I'm very mad at my dog. He keeps tearing up my books when my mom and I are both out somewhere. I could handle him tearing up my copy of Frankenstein since I have that on my Kindle. But this time he's crossed the line! He tore up my copy of the Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead which is apparently out of print and I'm a hardcore ROTLD fanboy. That was one of my prized possessions. Copies of that go for between $53 to over $300! He also tore up some other things that are going to be hard or impossible to replace.

I don't know why he does this. He knows it's bad because he cowers and acts guilty when I see it. I spank him, too. So why does he do it? I told him to stay away from me tonight. I'm ticked. We buy him toys and he destroys those, too.

He feels lonely when you are away.
One important thing I have found is that dogs tend to love things that smell like us. Next time, try buying a toy that he won't so easily destroy, and make sure it smells like you.
Since you are going to touch every single page of a book while reading it, I find it likely that your smell is all over them. Thus turning them into good targets.

I think that by destroying things that smell like you, he doesn't feel as lonely, which is why he does it.

Generally, it is also a good idea to create an actual physical barrier between him and things he shouldn't ever destroy, particularly when he is left without supervision.
For example, leaving your most valuable books somewhere out of his reach.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

I don't know why he does this. He knows it's bad because he cowers and acts guilty when I see it. I spank him, too. So why does he do it?

Reallly..?

Think about what you are actually saying there mate..The dog cowers when it does this - clearly it is expecting punishment - so clearly this happens pretty often - you even say this time it "crossed a line",clear indication that this is a frequent occurrence,getting steadily worse...And you tell us the punishment takes the form of a SPANKING - sorry mate - different words perhaps - you say spank,I say beat - same result,yes..?..

And it hasnt stopped has it.?..So eventually - you will get so frustrated,the anger will spil out,and your love will turn all to quickly to violence once again - wont it.?..And the more it happens,the more that pattern of response wil continue..if you are honest with yourself,then yes,of course you will see this as it already happens,doesnt it..?..Sorry - but in my book - and most dog lovers Id guess - hitting a dog out of personal frustration,amounts to a definate form of abuse..

Speaking as a dog owner for over 35 years now - I will tell you very clearly,there is no excuse or even a need to EVER raise your hand in anger to your pet..Despite what you think,that simply is NOT love at all - is it..?..You come home - you saw your "prized posession" ripped and destroyed and in your anger you "spank" the dog..Lets see then - your own ignorance of the dog its needs and desires - causes it to behave in that manner,as you left it anxious alone,frustrated - so it does what a dog does by its nature - and chews to comfort and relax itself...If you KNEW your dog,LEARNED about it,then you would come to EXPECT such behaviour from it - obviously...If the dog is doing what is natural and expected - then why for pities sake,are you now spanking it..?...If anything,its YOUR OWN FAULT - and your own frustration and own BEHAVIOUR that is the biggest problem here...

I have had all breeds of dog - german shepherds,rottweillers - big boisterous,dangerous brutes that do far more than chew up a comic...If you treat them right - understand them - then simply,they obey you out of mutual love and respect - the sound of your voice is the only authority you will ever need - but look - you will not get that bond,going down the road you are now on..LEARN and UNDERSTAND your dog - dont hit it out of frustration..Unless you need to directly defend yourself,then violence should never come into it,should it..?..And if it continues to frustrate you,makes you wan tot lash out inthat manner,then clearly,you SHOULD rehome the dog - for both your sakes...

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I have had all breeds of dog - german shepherds,rottweillers - big boisterous,dangerous brutes that do far more than chew up a comic
Rottweilers are not dangerous. If they perceive you as a danger to their family, then very much so, but shame on you for calling those gargantuan babies who are over sized lapdogs "dangerous brutes." It's no different than trying to say pitbulls are dangerous, when in reality they are very loving and loyal dogs.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

Rottweilers are not dangerous. If they perceive you as a danger to their family, then very much so, but shame on you for calling those gargantuan babies who are over sized lapdogs "dangerous brutes." It's no different than trying to say pitbulls are dangerous, when in reality they are very loving and loyal dogs.

Yes - you are quite right of course - a poor choice of words on my part...What I meant was,the amount of destruction they cause ,is far worse than a retriever is usually capable of - instead of a comic,my Sasha for instance,once ripped up my entire bed - mattress and all...lol...And yes,I did actualy laugh about it..The wife though - not so impressed - but still,no spanking needed - ever...

So,dnagerous in that sense for sure,if your material things are your "prized posessions"..Personally - I just laughed at Sash - she looked so dumb,head hung low - knew she done wrong of course - but her tail stil wagging - little bits of feather pilow hanging out her mouth - and then she growls at me,bends down low in that "lets play" kinda way - so what can you do..?..well, I joined in of course - had a little tug of war with what was left of the bed sheet - then calmly took her downstairs - got out her own rope toys - and played tug of war with that....All the while telling her - THIS is your toy,and nothng else - she/they soon get the message - and to this day,she has never destroyed anything that wasnt hers to chew..

Yer i should have chosen a better wording - not dangerous - unless provoked -actually - there is no such thing as a dangerous dog - it all starts with the owner,treatment,respect...

Nietzsche

The Last Prussian
Premium Member
Hi Folks..

And you tell us - you havent even tried the obvious things ..?..First resort then..?..Was to hit the dog..?..Either you need to LEARN about your dog - or if thats too much effort - then rehome it to someone who will care for it properly..Dont ever beat an animal simply because it gt you angry...It DIDNT bite you,did it..?...Didnt ATTACK you,did it..?...NO - so how does it deserve that treatment in response..?...Would you spank your mother if she ruined your favoirite shirt in the wash.?..NO - of course not - so why treat this dog any differently..?...Its rather - despicable - If you place your material posessions above that dogs welfare in this manner,then simply,you are not ready or deserving of that friendship and bond - rehome the dog now before you hurt both yourselves further..

If though,you would like to do right by your friend here - then honestly - it is a simple issue to deal with - but will require some commitment from you,that is all...Be committed to that dog,in the same way you are committed to your other family members - yes..?..Patience - tolerance - LOVE...Your comic is just that - a silly comic that is simply irrelevant when compared to another living Soul - dont you agree..?.
Oi, dogs have a sense of right & wrong. They're plenty smart enough. They get bitten & growled at by littermates & their mother, popping them on the head will not hurt it. They can be family and you still treat them differently because their hormones and neurology are different.

Quit with the "soul" bull****, that has nothing to do with behaviour or training, it's just a petty emotional ploy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
So,dnagerous in that sense for sure,if your material things are your "prized posessions"..Personally - I just laughed at Sash - she looked so dumb,head hung low - knew she done wrong of course - but her tail stil wagging - little bits of feather pilow hanging out her mouth - and then she growls at me,bends down low in that "lets play" kinda way - so what can you do..?..well, I joined in of course - had a little tug of war with what was left of the bed sheet - then calmly took her downstairs - got out her own rope toys - and played tug of war with that....All the while telling her - THIS is your toy,and nothng else - she/they soon get the message - and to this day,she has never destroyed anything that wasnt hers to chew..
I've always seen dogs as really just a furry four-legged kid. Both are playful, and both are capable of causing rampant destruction, but they don't really mean to. And they do eventually learn what is a toy, and what isn't. And being ready for things to be ruined is just a part of the responsibility that comes along with either.
We buy him toys and he destroys those, too.
That's just going to happen. Have you tried Kong toys? They are extremely durable and even power chewers will not quickly or easily go through them. They also make some you can put treats in, such as peanut butter, and they'll keep any dog busy.
Spanking really doesn't do any good. Rather an assertive voice, body language, and glare are all that is needed. When your dog upsets you, and sees this, it upsets your dog. Much like a child, they don't mean to upset you, they don't destroy stuff with malicious intent, and scorn alone hurts. And telling your dog to leave you alone is not a good thing to do. They are much less likely to misbehave when you show them positive reinforcement, and, much like kids, they may misbehave just to get attention.

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oi, dogs have a sense of right & wrong. They're plenty smart enough. They get bitten & growled at by littermates & their mother, popping them on the head will not hurt it. They can be family and you still treat them differently because their hormones and neurology are different.

Quit with the "soul" bull****, that has nothing to do with behaviour or training, it's just a petty emotional ploy.
I've trained many dogs without spanking them. It's unnecessary, and can make things worse. The dog I have now, whatever her previous owners did to her (I adopted her from the humane society) left her so terrified that even after I have had her for several years I still can't fling open a trash bag without her shaking and trembling.
http://blog.petmeds.com/1800petmeds/why-you-should-never-spank-your-dog/

Let’s face it, most dogs misbehave from time to time. While it may be tempting to correct the bad behavior with a spank, you should never discipline your dog physically. Spanking is confusing to your dog, may cause your dog to become hand-shy or fearful of you, and most importantly, doesn’t teach him the desired behavior.

If your dog is misbehaving, what is a better method of correcting him? Any unpleasant stimulus will work to let your dog know his behavior is unwanted. A negative stimulus may be something such as a loud noise (shaking a can of coins, for example), or a brief tug on the leash. The negative result teaches him to avoid the behavior. Your dog must receive the negative stimulus at the same time the bad behavior occurs; otherwise, he will not associate the negative result with the behavior. A stern voice is oftentimes all that is necessary to correct many dogs.

The best way to teach your dog the desired behavior is with positive reinforcement when he behaves correctly. For example, rather than spanking a dog for urinating in the house, provide an opportunity for him to relieve himself in an appropriate place and then praise him lavishly when he performs.

Remember, your dog loves physical contact, as long as it is not done in anger. Most dogs even enjoy light spanking
done playfully. Avoid physical punishment and you can ensure your dog always looks forward to your touch.
http://www.dogtrainingbasics.com/Spanking.htm

A dog learns nothing from being struck, and all that you are achieving is a venting of YOUR frustration and anger. If you get in the habit of hitting, your dog will shy away every time you raise your hand. He may also respond by snapping at you. He will see this as his only course of action. He has no other way to ask you to stop. The mouth of a dog is similar to your hand, and he will use it if provoked.
Your tone of voice is the best way to get a point across to your dog. The correct tone of voice will make your dog stop and listen, and will let him know that you are displeased with him. Your dog should see you as a leader and respect your voice. He will stop and listen when you use your voice to deliver commands.
http://shibashake.com/dog/dog-discipline-punishment-beat-hit-dog
However, the problem with aversive training, is that it is risky, too personal, and there is no good way to redirect the punishment.
Our dog knows that the pain originates from us, and is not a natural result of his actions.
As a consequence, our dog may end up learning the wrong lessons, including:
  • Hitting, slapping, and biting is a fun game that my owner plays with me. Let me try playing it with him, and with others. A dog may arrive at this conclusion, when the pain is not delivered with enough force. Too much force, however, may result in fear aggression.
  • A person’s hand or face coming toward me, is a bad thing. I should run away from people, or bite the hand or face that is a threat to me.
  • My owner, or a person coming toward me, means pain. I should stay away from people, or keep them away by growling and biting.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

I don't even hit him on the head. I spank him a few times on the rear end and let him go to sulk over what he did for a while. Soon after, he gets apologetic and I accept this and things go back to normal. The female cat we have actually does worse to him by batting him and clawing him in the face, making him cry. But he keeps going back to her for it, because that's just play to him. (He's currently messing with the cats right now, actually.)

This isn't even a little dog, either. He's around 80 pounds and he's so big that he scares people in the neighborhood, even though he's harmless. (Yeah, I was way off when I told you 50 pounds when I was telling you about him being sick and you asked how much he weighed. Lol.)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Dogs are not people.

They are instinctive animals. I used a rolled up newspaper in the past to discipline my dog in the past. Not too tightly rolled. It only creates a ting sensation and boy is it loud.

It worked great in establishing yourself as the alpha of the "pack" upon incidents of misbehaving. Once a dog recognises you as an alpha with set boundrys the disciplinary issues ought settle down. Aside from punishment, remember to play and have fun even more. Dogs need good consistent companionship on a daily basis as they are pack animals. . That way you should have a healthy happy animal. Retrivers are very active by nature and fun. . Play frisbee!!!

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Thanks, guys. I did get some good advice from this thread and some things to think about. :) Except for the no spanking fanatics. You people didn't help at all.

PeteC-UK

Hi Folks..

Well - to those who think your dog does not have a Soul - or somehow its Soul is not important- simply,ask the Self - WHY did you even take a pet..?..Im sure any pet owner would have to agree,their dog does have a Soul - for surely it is a fully EMOTIONAL BEING - just look it in the eye,if you doubt me - your Soul recognises ITS Soul - and indeed,this is why you take it as pet,invite it to be Family...It may not be exactly like us - but to the Soul there is no differnce..

As for the chastisement - l FULLY understand the pack behaviour aspect - fuly understand the dominate and be Alpha aspect - really I do - obviosuly for as said all my adult life Ive had a dog,often 2 and 3 at a time,and nearly always been a big,boisterous breed that absolutely requires a firm hand to maintain....Really - I fully get the domination aspect,control and order - except I will tell you,there is never a need for violence at all...Honestly - my voice,my hands,a flick of the ifngers - and even just a look and a thought,is more than enough...

Yes Folks - you read it right - just a "thought" I said....The bond can be that deep - if you allow it - but violence will of course,prohibit it - its a trust thing I guess...And a love thing of course - if the dog is scared of you oe intimidared in any way,then it simply wont love you fully - and then you are missing out on a great deal..

My dogs literally read my mind - it seems - definately a psychic none physical connection..They know when Im coming home for instance,no matter where Ive been or whatever time of day - and of course,they ALWAYS know when Im thnking of walking them...Its real and tangeable - noticed more by others than myself,as I take it for granted now...And I must say,I ve had such a bond with all my dogs - easy and natural..I really dont get why anyone would want to spank it - if they had that bond such a thought would never enter into the mind...

Heres something to try - especially anyone here who has a dog,but somehow does not recognise its Soul....when you command it - in your own mind,have a thought - preferably an image - of the thing you want the dog to do...Project it along woth your spoken command...It works wonders,trust me...Something simple to start - picture your dog sitting down,tell it to sit...Try with just the projected thought...Youll soon see,it does really work - because look - think about it Folks - the dog is a pack animal,yes..?..A pack of wolves hunt over a HUGE territory - chase prey,become seperated - sometimes a chase lasts half hour and spans miles of diverse terrain - and yet the pack instinctively knows where each is,where they head,where to rendezvous, even though they are out of sight and earshot - they formulate strategy,on the fly - obviously they COMMUNICATE somehow - and I will tell you clearly,it is mind to mind - Soul to Soul..Try it for your Self...

Why do you think the dog loves you,even though you are completly different animal to it..?..Because simply - it has no ego like we do - no divided mind - it knows and directly experiences,that which it Is - a Soul - a fledgling,new born Soul - and it sees this similarity about us too,just as some if us notice in the dog - and so their is a kindred spirit that the dog sees clearly - even though - sadly - the human may miss it entirely...