• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Anglican Catholic Church?

lunamoth

Will to love
beckysoup61 said:
Is there such, and what do they believe?

Hi Becky, thank you for the question. I found a link that might help you with your question. Sorry I don't know too much about it myself. If you go to the bottom of the wiki link it talks about 'high church,' 'low church,' and 'broad church.' High church is an Anglican style that is closer to Roman Catholic, I believe. Anglo-Catholics are much closer in doctrinal belief to RCC than others that don't go by this identity, some disagree with things practiced by the broad church, for example the ordination of women priests. 'Low church' is not derisive; it refers to a more Protestant-flavored, or evangelical approach to faith.

I have not thought about it much but the term 'broad church' reflects the Episcopal churches I've been part of. I like this because it is so encompassing. In the same congregation you will have some people who are doctrinally conservative and some who are progressive. I suppose that those who get to the extreme poles of either of these, very conservative or very liberal, will not be satisfied with the Anglican Communion and so will leave for other churches.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Catholicism

luna

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
A majority of young priests today are choosing the Anglo Catholic style.
Their beliefs are identical to other anglicans, as there is only one set of authorized beliefs in the anglican church.
How ever their preferred style of service is closer to the Roman tradition, as is their dress. Most of those older priests who had difficulty with women priests have already moved on to become Roman Catholics.

In my part of England Low church was once the norm, this is no longer so, and I only know of Anglo Catholic Curches round here now.

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Terrywoodenpic said:
A majority of young priests today are choosing the Anglo Catholic style.
Their beliefs are identical to other anglicans, as there is only one set of authorized beliefs in the anglican church.
How ever their preferred style of service is closer to the Roman tradition, as is their dress. Most of those older priests who had difficulty with women priests have already moved on to become Roman Catholics.

In my part of England Low church was once the norm, this is no longer so, and I only know of Anglo Catholic Curches round here now.

Are these in union with Rome? Do you know?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Victor said:
Are these in union with Rome? Do you know?
Anglo Catholics are a self styled group with in the Anglican Church. They are in every way Anglican.
The Anglican is a very broad church which covers the near puritanical Low church to the Very high Anglocatholic .
Both extremes are quite rare now.
The extreme High Church Use insence and bells at all services, as would our Priest if our church council would allow it. They have allowed him votive candles and an Ikon, which is fairly unusual in Anglican Churches.

We have insence a few times a year ( we usually borrow the censor for our local Catholic Church as ours is not safe)
( pic of our Bishop, installing the Altar I made, using the Catholic censor)
It was a white(or silver) vestment occasion.

98d5f9fd.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

Quiddity

UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Terrywoodenpic said:
Anglo Catholics are a self styled group with in the Anglican Church. They are in every way Anglican.
The Anglican is a very broad church which covers the near puritanical Low church to the Very high Anglocatholic .
The extreme High Church Use insence and bells at all services, as would our Priest if our church council would allow it. They have allowed him votive candles and an Ikon, which is fairly unusual in Anglican Churches.

We have insence a few times a year ( we usually borrow the censor for our local Catholic Church as ours is not safe)

98d5f9fd.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D

So I'm guessing that was a no? Thanks...:)

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Terrywoodenpic said:

98d5f9fd.jpg

IMG%5D

IMG%5D
Terry:

Two questions.

First, I notice that the Table appears to be located in the nave, at the liturgical west end of the chancel, instead of in the sanctuary. Is this where the Table "lives," or was it dedicated there and then moved to the sanctuary?

Second, the woman at the left side of the picture is wearing a deacon's stole, although she is not vested in a dalmatic. Is she a deacon? If so, I didn't know y'all ordained women to the diaconate.

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
sojourner said:
Second, the woman at the left side of the picture is wearing a deacon's stole, although she is not vested in a dalmatic. Is she a deacon? If so, I didn't know y'all ordained women to the diaconate.

Seeing as the Anglicans (and all the Anglo Catholics are is a high church section of the Anglican church) ordain women to the priesthood I'd be highly surprised if they didn't have women in the diaconate. We've even had those in the past and there's a move to revive deaconesses now.

James

sojourner

JamesThePersian said:
Seeing as the Anglicans (and all the Anglo Catholics are is a high church section of the Anglican church) ordain women to the priesthood I'd be highly surprised if they didn't have women in the diaconate. We've even had those in the past and there's a move to revive deaconesses now.

James
I know the ECUSA ordains women to all three orders -- I was formerly a postulant for Holy Orders in the Episcopal Church -- but I was unaware whether the C of E ordained women.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
sojourner said:
Terry:

Two questions.

First, I notice that the Table appears to be located in the nave, at the liturgical west end of the chancel, instead of in the sanctuary. Is this where the Table "lives," or was it dedicated there and then moved to the sanctuary?

Second answer first.
She was indeed an ordained deaconess... she has since been ordained a priest.
deaconesses have been around for quite a while now and are common.
The priest to the front right of the bishop, is very high church in style but but has no problem with women priests.

As to the question about the Altar , I made that in memory of my wife, for the lady chapel, it is used for week day communions, and it was moved the next day.

We normally have a chancel Altar for all services. And we also have a high altar in the sanctuary, which is dressed but not used.
This arrangement is considered more user friendly and is becoming quite usual in the church of England.

sojourner

Terrywoodenpic said:
Second answer first.
She was indeed an ordained deaconess... she has since been ordained a priest.
deaconesses have been around for quite a while now and are common.
The priest to the front right of the bishop, is very high church in style but but has no problem with women priests.

As to the question about the Altar , I made that in memory of my wife, for the lady chapel, it is used for week day communions, and it was moved the next day.

We normally have a chancel Altar for all services. And we also have a high altar in the sanctuary, which is dressed but not used.
This arrangement is considered more user friendly and is becoming quite usual in the church of England.

It's a beautiful Table. Our Table was also made by a parishioner. We moved into a new building last November. he built the Altar in honor of God's providence surrounding our move. I wish I had a picture I could post. It's very beautiful, too.

In our local diocese, all parishes and missions now have Tables. Many of our buildings are modern, not having the classic nave-chancel-sanctuary plan. My home parish was the last one in the diocese to have the altar against the East wall, in the sanctuary. It has been moved out -- although it's still in the sanctuary. Some of our parishes and missions do use a chancel altar, like you do. I like both -- sanctuary high altar for some purposes and the chancel altar for some. Thanx for the pix! And the info!