• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I reading Quran or from the Yajurveda? O’ Brahman! O’ G-d!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
CHAPTER IV:25
25. I adore God, the Creator of the Earth and Sky, the Source of all
Knowledge, the Embodiment of Splendour, the Sustainer of all the
beautiful planets, the Centre of love, the object of praise by the Vedas,
and their Revealer. His lofty effulgent Self is divulged in the created
world. He has fixed the bright sun and the moon in their conduct. He
is the wisest Actor. His mercy grants us happiness. O God I worship
Thee as Bestower of happiness on mankind. May all mortals enjoy life,
through Thee. May Thou grant life to all human beings.
https://archive.org/stream/yajurveda029670mbp/yajurveda029670mbp_djvu.txt
Just tell me!
Anybody from the Believers or non-Believers, please. Open to everybody
Regards

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Just tell me!
Regards

If it's between those two scriptures (assuming you're not offering a false choice): the Yajurveda. Surah 4:25 of the Quran talks about freeing slave women and it was written by Arabs who more than likely wouldn't have heard of the Vedas.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You are actually reading Zakir Naik and we are waiting for Zakir Naik to return to India to answer the accusations.

:D That is not the only view in Hinduism. Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism. Then, for majority of Hindus, it is not one God but perhaps thousands of Gods and Goddesses. Have you heard of Golu Devta, Kalu Devta or Jamlu Devta. Or Yelamma and Manasa Devi. They are Hindu Gods and Goddesses, much revered by Hindus (and me too, since they belong to Hindus - not that I worship any).

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You are actually reading Zakir Naik and we are waiting for Zakir Naik to return to India to answer the accusations.
:D That is not the only view in Hinduism. Read https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism_in_Hinduism. Then, for majority of Hindus, it is not one God but perhaps thousands of Gods and Goddesses. Have you heard of Golu Devta, Kalu Devta or Jamlu Devta. Or Yelamma and Manasa Devi. They are Hindu Gods and Goddesses, much revered by Hindus (and me too, since they belong to Hindus - not that I worship any).
One is simply wrong. I have never read any book of Zakir Naik. I don't follow him.
As I mentioned I am reading Yajurveda. The day I posted #1 I was at Chapter IV of the Yajurveda translated by Devi Chand, I read it and made a thread. Today I have completed reading Chapter VII of the Yajurveda or I have read 90+ pages of total 500 pages of the Yajurveda.
I read about a religion on my own understanding of the basic book of a religion. So, please correct yourself, if you, please. Right?
While I read Yajurveda, I would be sharing the verses with my friends in the Forum.
Regards

Servant_of_the_One1

If iam not wrong Hindus believe in One God who then manifested Himself in different dieties all those Dieties being incarnations of God.

U know the same way Christians say God the Creator is incarnated as Jesus and as Holy Spirit.

Ofcourse we as muslims disagree with them. And they disagree with us too.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
You are most welcome, Paarsurrey. But kindly do not take one book and one translation as the only belief in Hinduism. Hinduism is vast.

Sure there are many translations, and ho harm in it, everybody has tried to serve Vedas according to their understanding. I remember one mentioned in one of the posts in another thread that you like the translation "The Texts of the White Yajurveda, tr. Ralph T.H. Griffith, [1899]", so here it is:

BOOK THE SEVENTH
37 Indra, accordant with the banded Maruts, drink Soma,
Hero! as wise Vritra-slayer.
Slay thou our foemen, drive away assailants, and make us
safe on every side from danger.
Taken, etc. For Indra girt by Maruts thee. This is thy
home. For Indra girt by Maruts thee.
38 Drink, Indra Marut-girt, as Bull, the Soma: for joy, for
rapture even as thou pleasest.
Pour down the wave of meath within thy belly thou art
the King of juices shed fortnightly.
Taken, etc.......Maruts thee (as above).*
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/wyv/wyvbk07.htm
Does one hold that the part of the verse under 38( as above) must have been written in full here again? Griffith has done a sort of compression of the verse. Right?
Thanks and regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, can't understand this. Need another translation. Perhaps some other Hindu member can say more about it. As I see it now, it is a simple prayer and offering (of Soma, the Aryan drink) to Vedic Gods Indra, the eight Maruts fathered by Rudra who later mingled with the original Hindu God Shival; and a prayer for safety from enemies. I could not understand what Griffith means by 'girt'. Google says it is an old word for girth or waiste-line. Does it mean that Indra is encircled by eight Maruts and all are enjoying the offered Soma? Drinking along with friends is more enjoyable.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sure there are many translations, and ho harm in it, everybody has tried to serve Vedas according to their understanding. I remember one mentioned in one of the posts in another thread that you like the translation "The Texts of the White Yajurveda, tr. Ralph T.H. Griffith, [1899]", so here it is:

BOOK THE SEVENTH
37 Indra, accordant with the banded Maruts, drink Soma,
Hero! as wise Vritra-slayer.
Slay thou our foemen, drive away assailants, and make us
safe on every side from danger.
Taken, etc. For Indra girt by Maruts thee. This is thy
home. For Indra girt by Maruts thee.
38 Drink, Indra Marut-girt, as Bull, the Soma: for joy, for
rapture even as thou pleasest.
Pour down the wave of meath within thy belly thou art
the King of juices shed fortnightly.
Taken, etc.......Maruts thee (as above).*
http://sacred-texts.com/hin/wyv/wyvbk07.htm
Does one hold that the part of the verse under 38( as above) must have been written in full here again? Griffith has done a sort of compression of the verse. Right?
Thanks and regards
Yeah, can't understand this. Need another translation. Perhaps some other Hindu member can say more about it. As I see it now, it is a simple prayer and offering (of Soma, the Aryan drink) to Vedic Gods Indra, the eight Maruts fathered by Rudra who later mingled with the original Hindu God Shival; and a prayer for safety from enemies. I could not understand what Griffith means by 'girt'. Google says it is an old word for girth or waiste-line. Does it mean that Indra is encircled by eight Maruts and all are enjoying the offered Soma? Drinking along with friends is more enjoyable.
Didn't one notice the following?:
"Slay thou our foemen, drive away assailants, and make us
safe on every side from danger."

Did one? Please
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Didn't one notice the following?:
"Slay thou our foemen, drive away assailants, and make us safe on every side from danger."
Did one?
Sure, what is so strange in this? Aryans were herders. They had enemies who wanted to snatch their grazing grounds. There were thieves who stole their cattle. So, what is strange if they pleaded with their Gods to safeguard them against such dangers.

Last edited:

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Sure, what is so strange in this? Aryans were herders. They had enemies who wanted to snatch their grazing grounds. There were thieves who stole their cattle. So, what is strange if they pleaded with their Gods to safeguard them against such dangers.
I don't hold that your grandfather B.G.Tilak, a great man, would have agreed with you on this. Right?
He was the guru of Gandhi, the preacher of Ahimsa or non-violence.
Is Ahimsa mentioned in Yajurveda? Please
If yes, please quote from it.
Regards

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
B.G.Tilak was not my grandfather. My grandfather is mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishweshwar_Nath_Reu
He was a Rajasthan historian and a Sanskrit scholar. He wrote many books and translated two books written by Tilak from English to Hindi.
B.G. Tilak and my grandfather also held this view. Don't know much about YajurVeda. I have always concentrated on RigVeda since that is the oldest book for Indian Aryans.

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Just tell me!
Regards

I think you are confusing God with the curvature of space time induced by massive objects.

Ciao

- ciole

Satyamavejayanti

One is simply wrong. I have never read any book of Zakir Naik. I don't follow him.
As I mentioned I am reading Yajurveda. The day I posted #1 I was at Chapter IV of the Yajurveda translated by Devi Chand, I read it and made a thread. Today I have completed reading Chapter VII of the Yajurveda or I have read 90+ pages of total 500 pages of the Yajurveda.
I read about a religion on my own understanding of the basic book of a religion. So, please correct yourself, if you, please. Right?
While I read Yajurveda, I would be sharing the verses with my friends in the Forum.
Regards

Namaste,

After Devi Chand Translation, here are some more "Indian and Hindu", translations you could look at.

Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, Pandit Chamupati, Virjanand Vedic Sansthan, Lahore English

Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, (Satippan) Swami Bhumanand Saraswati, English

Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, Satyakaam Vidyalankaar. Ved Pratisthan, New Delhi English

Yajurveda, Dr Tulsiram, Govindram Hasanand, Delhi English

Yajurveda, Satyaprakash Saraswati, Govindram Hasanand, Delhi English

Plus if you know Hindi and Sanskrit then the complete list can be found here.

http://www.vedicgranth.org/what_are_vedic_granth/the-four-veda/yajur-veda

Good luck

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Paarsurrey, I think you should read all of them on the list. That way you will have a deep perspective.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Namaste,
After Devi Chand Translation, here are some more "Indian and Hindu", translations you could look at.
Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, Pandit Chamupati, Virjanand Vedic Sansthan, Lahore English
Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, (Satippan) Swami Bhumanand Saraswati, English
Yajurved Angrezi Anuvaad, Satyakaam Vidyalankaar. Ved Pratisthan, New Delhi English
Yajurveda, Dr Tulsiram, Govindram Hasanand, Delhi English
Yajurveda, Satyaprakash Saraswati, Govindram Hasanand, Delhi English
Plus if you know Hindi and Sanskrit then the complete list can be found here.
http://www.vedicgranth.org/what_are_vedic_granth/the-four-veda/yajur-veda
Good luck
Please provide some online translation in English , preferably from Sanatana Dharma. Right? Please
Regards

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
If iam not wrong Hindus believe in One God who then manifested Himself in different dieties all those Dieties being incarnations of God.

U know the same way Christians say God the Creator is incarnated as Jesus and as Holy Spirit.

Ofcourse we as muslims disagree with them. And they disagree with us too.

From the smallest particle within an atom to the largest of stars, everything is a manifestation of God. The universe is the living breathing God that evolves with the supreme consciousness called Brahman.
Deities are simply elevated minds that can manipulate matter with their minds.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Namaste. After Devi Chand Translation, here are some more "Indian and Hindu", translations you could look at.
Thanks, Satyam. I have downloaded Swami Divyananda's translation. Let me see how it goes.
Checked. Not a literal translation. Spiced up. Not satisfied.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
From the smallest particle within an atom to the largest of stars, everything is a manifestation of God. The universe is the living breathing God that evolves with the supreme consciousness called Brahman.
Deities are simply elevated minds that can manipulate matter with their minds.
Is it one's own conjecture or it is from the Veda? If from Veda, then please quote from it. Else, please quote from a text-book of science. Right? Please
Regards