• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"All life matters." : combatting Truths with truths

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
A little over a decade ago Mel Gibson's The Passion of Christ was released amid accusations that Gibson, following in the footsteps of his father, was a holocaust denier.

The press was all over it. I distinctly remember one interview in which Mr. Gibson was asked if the Shoah was an historical fact and his answer was, to paraphrase:

Millions of people died in WWI: Jews, Gypsies, Christians, ... millions.
Countering Truths with truths is more than an evasion; it is a counter argument.

So too with the "Black Lives Matter" slogan. It is far more that some attempt to articulate the obvious. It is the assertion that - contrary to what what we see demonstrated far too often - Black lives in fact matter as well, and we damn well better take the steps necessary to honor this fact. Countering it with insipid blather about how "all lives matter" is dismissive and, either, irresponsibly thoughtless or irresponsibly racist.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Or it's important to recognize that cops killing black folk is part of a larger problem with governmental brutality, one in which even more white folk are killed.
There is power in trumpeting the victimhood of one's own group, & denying larger problems.
I say that should be countered.

Besides, O'Malley (a Dem, btw) already apologized for saying "all lives matter".

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
To say "all lives matter" is not racist. He shouldn't have apologized for saying it. Black lives matter is a good slogan but the minute people start to say that "all lives matter" is a racist statement, even within the context that it was said, they move to the wrong side of the line. Many anti-feminist like to attack feminist who have taken similar approaches to actively ignoring or attacking people who have stated that not only do women's issues matter no a specific subject but so do men. Thankfully it is the tiniest of a minoirity of feminists that ever do this and tend to be the most controversial. Hopefully within this movement it is the same percentage of people who would claim racism against the "all lives matter" statement.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Has anyone said they don't matter? That slogan is all emotional blather to me that furthers the divide rather than attempting to close it.
To further the divide does serve the needs of division mongers such as Jesse Jackson.
Where would he be without the anger? Racial peace would be a career ender.

There is definitely a problem with racist cops & government. But all the racial sensitivity training in the world won't cure a police & government culture which has unaccountable militarized thugs who see citizens as lesser people whose civil liberties exist solely at their pleasure.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The statement "black lives matter" implies that the criminal justice system often fails blacks, whereas saying "all lives matter" doesn't. So, is someone saying "all lives matter" a denial that there is a discriminatory problem put out by some who may be racist or who may deny there's racism? Possibly, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to use such a broad stroke of the brush on all or even most who may say that.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
The statement "black lives matter" implies that the criminal justice system often fails blacks, whereas saying "all lives matter" doesn't. So, is someone saying "all lives matter" a denial that there is a discriminatory problem put out by some who may be racist or who may deny there's racism? Possibly, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to use such a broad stroke of the brush on all or even most who may say that.
I don't think that anyone here would think that the "Black lives matter" slogan is unnecessary or is confused about its meaning. The issue is that someone stating that "all lives matter" caused a huge outburst and enraged a community.

metis

I don't think that anyone here would think that the "Black lives matter" slogan is unnecessary or is confused about its meaning. The issue is that someone stating that "all lives matter" caused a huge outburst and enraged a community.
Yes, which is understandable if it is being used specifically to obscure the intent of "black lives matter".

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Maybe someone should start a "no lives matter" just to illustrate the absurdity of the issue.
Or better yet, because one shouldn't say "All lives matter.", every group should have a separate slogan.....
Jewish lives matter.
Muslim lives matter.
Americastanian lives matter.
Female Navy veteran lives matter.

Paranoid Android

I agree. All life matters. and that include African-Americans. The negative response is because European-Americans want to ignore what happens to African-Americans. Just like they want to ignore other things. In effect, what they REALLY want is African-Americans to be silent and just accept there role as semi-slaves.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Or better yet, because one shouldn't say "All lives matter.", every group should have a separate slogan.....
Jewish lives matter.
Muslim lives matter.
Americastanian lives matter.
Female Navy veteran lives matter.

Not a bad idea. However when it comes to hard core RFers it should be said that as soon as they get a life it, too, will matter.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Personally I find the slogan not the best that could have been chosen. But the point the slogan makes that statistics show a systemic bias against blacks is accurate. And the point of the slogan is that everyone should be treated equally.

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Yes, which is understandable if it is being used specifically to obscure the intent of "black lives matter".
In the context I don't think it does. On average per person more African Americans are killed by police than Caucasians. Its almost double. This is an issue. Its not an issue exclusive only to African Americans. Latinos also face higher percentages than Caucasians and Caucasians see a percentage that is fairly grim as well. Police brutality and murder of civilians is the core problem. Racism involved that targets African Americans is the secondary issue. Both need to be fixed. But if I had a magic wand I would fix the first before the second.

metis

In the context I don't think it does. On average per person more African Americans are killed by police than Caucasians. Its almost double. This is an issue. Its not an issue exclusive only to African Americans. Latinos also face higher percentages than Caucasians and Caucasians see a percentage that is fairly grim as well. Police brutality and murder of civilians is the core problem. Racism involved that targets African Americans is the secondary issue. Both need to be fixed. But if I had a magic wand I would fix the first before the second.
I think you may have misread my post because I agree with all of the above and was implying as such.

Marisa

B8NekbWCcAA8Xk7.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
They'll say we "can't see".
This is to dishonestly dismiss objections to the implicit myopic racism surrounding the the slogan.
SJWs & the media care only when the victims are black.
Even more non-black folk are murdered by cops, but it's largely ignored.

Marisa

They'll say we "can't see".
This is to dishonestly dismiss objections to the implicit myopic racism surrounding the the slogan.
SJWs & the media care only when the victims are black.
Even more non-black folk are murdered by cops, but it's largely ignored.
Are we talking about SJW's? Remember the ice bucket challenges, that got boo'd because people are dying from literally hundreds of other diseases, too? To deny or dismiss someone's experience based on the color of their skin is to fail to hear them speak. It's lovely to say we don't judge another's value based on the color of their skin, but that presupposes that there's never been a time when the value of a human life was judged based on that very thing.