• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A rant about cancer

Thief

Rogue Theologian
We've known how to cure cancer for years:
  • In 1952 they learned that apricot kernels contain vitamin b17, which is a natural form of cyanide, that will attack foreign cells to the body.
  • In 1974 in laboratory experiments they found THC will kill both cancer and tumors.
  • A vegan diet will alkalize the body, which helps stop cancer forming and growing (1931).
  • Soursop (1976), even the cancer research site says 'it kills certain cancer cells''; yet they can't be bothered to do research into something that can be free.

The Truth About Cancer - Channel

The whole series is available online for free. :innocent:
I eat seeds.....apricot seeds....

my wife had colon cancer.
no apparent cause ...she is a health nut with no bad habits.
she learned of b17 when trying to decide what went wrong.

now we both eat seeds
It's been almost two decades since her episode.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm trying to move on with my life after cancer. I have a biopsy tomorrow morning because I think it's returned. Expecting it to come back as cancerous, but not yet sure of what's next after that.
I wish I could say more for support, but you have mine. You seem to be very strong, and despite challenges (which are very understandable, especially being diagnosed at 21) you seem to have made more progress than you realize. You seem to be doing exactly what you need to be doing, which is trying to move on with your life. Any cancer is frightening (I tend to be rather anxious about it myself (I know more about the symptoms of more cancers than what I should) with my dad's family history that is loaded with cancer), but melanoma at least isn't so much of a death sentence anymore. Stay strong, and hopefully your biopsy comes back ok.

But I do agree with the "fighter" and "warrior" approaches our society gives cancer patients. I can't tell if it's more for the patient or those close to the patient, but I suspect it is more for those close to the patient and do not understand the fear, struggles, depression, anxiety, and staring one's own mortality in the eyes, a way to help them cope with the shock and to give them some hope when there may be none, unlike the patient who feels the pain, the stress, and is typically very aware of their chances. And of course most people will opt for treatment if their is a chance. What your victory is in isn't so much as surviving cancer, it's surviving having survived the shocks and woes of cancer and being able to resume living despite harsh depressions and anxieties.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Myself and others that I have known who have beat cancer were positive, and had a good sense of humour, the latter is more important to me, I get a lot of laughs just being here on SF lol.
I don't know of any studies that have examined laughter and cancer survival rates, but it certainly helps to elevate the mood, and having a good outlook may not be as powerful as some weird books and documentaries claim it is, it is very good in motivating one to take care of oneself and do what needs to be done, especially if depression is involved. And then there is the fact everyone loves to laugh, comedy is universal, and everyone, no matter where they are from or what culture they belong to or what language they, sounds the same when the laugh. It's truly a marvel of wonder, and something to be treasured.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't know of any studies that have examined laughter and cancer survival rates, but it certainly helps to elevate the mood, and having a good outlook may not be as powerful as some weird books and documentaries claim it is, it is very good in motivating one to take care of oneself and do what needs to be done, especially if depression is involved. And then there is the fact everyone loves to laugh, comedy is universal, and everyone, no matter where they are from or what culture they belong to or what language they, sounds the same when the laugh. It's truly a marvel of wonder, and something to be treasured.
Yes laughter or a good sense of humour must be good. My mum who died from cancer had a good sense of humour, she had bowel cancer earlier in her life, and 5 years after in went into her neck region. The doctors gave her only a few months to live, but she refused to lay down die, she use to sing that song, "its on the road again", its going to placed its never been, it was so funny. She also use to sing that song, "always look on the bright side of life", she did die but it was over a year later, she got to see her grand daughter being born, yes she was happy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes laughter or a good sense of humour must be good. My mum who died from cancer had a good sense of humour, she had bowel cancer earlier in her life, and 5 years after in went into her neck region. The doctors gave her only a few months to live, but she refused to lay down die, she use to sing that song, "its on the road again", its going to placed its never been, it was so funny. She also use to sing that song, "always look on the bright side of life", she did die but it was over a year later, she got to see her grand daughter being born, yes she was happy.
I don't have cancer, but out of the other problems I have, comedy has always seemed to end even a bad day on a good note. And especially with the shows I like, the comedians I admire, even the worst, most dire, and bleakest of circumstances, I have learned there is always something to laugh about. Of course context is very important, but even "anal rape" has been added to the list of things that can make me laugh so hard that I can wake people up (I've recently started watching the Boondocks, so I've been laughing really hard over things, particularly race issues, that I haven't laughed so hard over since I first started watching Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock). It may not be officially recognized as medicine, but laughter is such a wonderful thing, and there are many benefits that do come along with what comes along with laughter....I'm surprised that binge watching comedians or comedy shows isn't part of a regiment for anyone with any sort of illness. Everyone's personal tastes may vary, but if anything laughter and comedy will bring world peace quicker than anything else, especially since we all (as in every single human being who is alive or has been alive or will be alive) understand laughter and know what someone is doing when they laugh.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I don't have cancer, but out of the other problems I have, comedy has always seemed to end even a bad day on a good note. And especially with the shows I like, the comedians I admire, even the worst, most dire, and bleakest of circumstances, I have learned there is always something to laugh about. Of course context is very important, but even "anal rape" has been added to the list of things that can make me laugh so hard that I can wake people up (I've recently started watching the Boondocks, so I've been laughing really hard over things, particularly race issues, that I haven't laughed so hard over since I first started watching Dave Chappelle or Chris Rock). It may not be officially recognized as medicine, but laughter is such a wonderful thing, and there are many benefits that do come along with what comes along with laughter....I'm surprised that binge watching comedians or comedy shows isn't part of a regiment for anyone with any sort of illness. Everyone's personal tastes may vary, but if anything laughter and comedy will bring world peace quicker than anything else, especially since we all (as in every single human being who is alive or has been alive or will be alive) understand laughter and know what someone is doing when they laugh.
Yes I can laugh about anal rape especially because that is what happened to me when I was young, true story lol. Yea why wait until laughter is proven to work by scientific proof, its here and now and always has been, and only common sense tell us that it works. Every night before I go to sleep I always look at some funny cartoons, such as Family Guy, watching the news or anything negative is not that good for sleep, or at least the beginning of sleep.

Aset's Flames

Viperine Asetian
I'm trying to move on with my life after cancer. I have a biopsy tomorrow morning because I think it's returned. Expecting it to come back as cancerous, but not yet sure of what's next after that.

It just won't leave me alone. That's my main complaint about this whole mess. I was diagnosed with melanoma in January and since then I've been thinking about it nonstop. I'd lie awake at night almost believing that I could feel the tumours growing. After surgery I was terrified they'd left something behind, and I went back to my second surgeon to ask if he could possibly take out any more tissue before it became cancerous (he couldn't). Chemo was chaotic, stressful, and over too soon because my body couldn't make it through more than a week of treatment. I developed anxiety symptoms whenever something went awry; I treated every new symptom as life-threatening until proven otherwise. I was never sure how far to plan my life in advance -- should I sign up for courses for the next term, should I decline this leadership position, do I have enough energy to go out tonight, will I have to sleep it off tomorrow if I do go out. My relationships with others became uncertain. I wasn't sure who to tell or how much to share, so I just told everyone everything and let them deal with the discomfort. I broke up with my boyfriend after starting school again. My crippling depression disappeared when I was diagnosed; I shut down emotionally and never really came back.

Months later, it's still the same.

I still have trouble making plans and I delay commitment for as long as possible. A simple outing feels like a big deal to me, and often I don't end up leaving the house at all. Added to this, I'm still dealing with side effects from chemo even though I was only on it for a week, and that was seven months ago. I'm forgetful and often shy. I'm so tired. No amount of sleep is ever enough and fatigue comes at the oddest times. I completely shut down for days after my last oncology followup, unable to concentrate and overwhelmed by the ideas of interacting with people and even going outside. I still dream that someone or something is trying to kill me.

Some days I'm a shut-in, other days I'm out as much as possible and involved as much as I can be. I'm on the planning committees for two conferences in 2016, I run a student group at the university, I'm the vice president of another organization, I'm on a competitive synthetic biology team, I'm tutoring a couple of my friends in their science courses, and somehow I'm still unable to take a full course load because even four courses is exhausting. I'm supposed to be on a work term this coming summer, but now I don't know if I'll be able to do it now. There's a lump in my neck and my oncologist's body language said it's a tumour. I'm expecting to be in treatment again this winter, but planning as if I won't. It's a strange duality.

It took me almost a full year to find another young melanoma patient in my city. The other women in my 'younger adult' cancer support group have children my age. There's a newer drug available now. I want to try it, and I hate chemo but this is how we destroy the beast. In a week, chemo managed to do quite a bit of damage. I never used to get hangovers and now I do; I'm also now allergic to shellfish, and for a while after treatment I couldn't drink alcohol at all. My circulation is worse than before. I get cold feet, and it takes a long time for me to get warm at night.

-----

This is why I reject the promoted message that cancer patients are 'warriors'. It glorifies a war that nobody wins. I'm not a warrior, I'm just a 21 year old who is trying to understand what's happening and why it had to be so soon. I'm fighting cancer, sure, but what does that mean? To me it means internet, gaming, sleeping a lot, talking to a lot of medical professionals and old people, becoming a bit of a hypochondriac, making absolutely horrible jokes about this disease, and sometimes having an IV or catheter in my arm with a clear liquid dripping down into my heart. Sometimes there's surgery involved, but I don't feel much pain and I don't even remember anything once they knock me out. Other times the scans don't show any bright spots and the blood tests are normal. Then my life is a waiting game in which I fill the hours and years with other activities to move forward as fast as I can because I might be blindsided at any time.

So call me whatever you want, but this is a different kind of battle. This is not a foreign invader, this is part of the body rebelling against itself. There is no safe place to retreat to because the disease always comes with you, and as long as it's there it is trying to kill you. And until you do die or are 'cured' (although the doctors can never be sure if you'll be okay or not), you are branded a warrior who must continue to 'fight' (read: avoid death) at steep personal cost. Some patients are pressured into continuing treatment beyond the point where it would benefit them because friends and family think they must.

The fight ends when you are dead. You win by not dying of cancer. Winning just means you don't have to fight anymore.

I hope for your sake that your next life is a better one.