• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A Letter to Donald Trump

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
"Mr. Trump, I'd like to share an idea relating to incentives that could potentially help minimize abortion and increase responsible behavior as well as personal accountability. I know you support certain types of incentives and also encourage them. First let me say that the pro choice proponents are correct. Our government should not be enabled to force a woman to endure unwanted pregnancies. I can certainly respect that a woman's body is her own. That is a perfectly valid stance. However, our government can encourage responsibility as well as accountability, correct? While many pro choicer's choose to terminate unborn human life instead of birthing a child, doesn't our government have the ability and power to implement a responsibility type incentive tax to help encourage responsible behavior?

Such a tax could potentially help limit the estimated 850,000 convenience abortions performed in this nation each year. This may not be a perfect solution to a seemingly complex issue, but it makes for a great compromise If you ask me. You could negotiate the terms. Here is what I myself propose Mr. Trump: I propose that our government implement such an incentive tax. This tax should not require more than 10 % of the gross annual income from those responsible for unwanted pregnancies resulting in convenience abortions. 5 % and up to 10 % of an individuals annual income is perfectly fair and reasonable per procedure and up to 30 % to 40 % total deductions combined. This tax should be applicable throughout the lives of those subjected to it. This may seem unfortunate, but many woman who end up pregnant are unsure who the father is due to multiple sexual partners. I propose that the known potential father's should likewise be subjected to this tax. If a woman does not wish to reveal the name of the father, then perhaps she should be held responsible for his portion of the tax.

The implementation of such a tax would not only help encourage the practice of safe and responsible sexual activity, but it could potentially save well over 5 million lives in a single decade. Sexually transmitted diseases would most assuredly decline as a result, unwanted pregnancies would most assuredly decline as a result, convenience abortions would decline exponentially as a result of this type of taxation also. Our tax dollars are being used to help fund planned parenthood if I'm not mistaken, which is fine. I'm o.k. with that. However, those who undergo convenience abortions should be hit with a responsibility incentive tax. The revenue generated from these taxes could help fund education, free birth control, child care, and also help feed struggling working class families who live in poverty despite their best efforts to rise above the poverty line. Is such a tax feasible Mr. Trump? If so, please get the ball rolling when you are elected in 2016 O.k?"

Thank you,

Db2im0PRBqx9R8cbfNeX_10006014_10155716308930725_3978799758907417094_o.jpg

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
This is an interesting idea, ie, taxing people who exercise their civil liberties.
We could also tax people who....
- Engage in offensive free speech
- Fail to learn English
- Fail to learn Spanish
- Practice less desirable religions....or no religion
- Engage in civil disobedience
- Have an unhealthy lifestyle, eg, being overweight
We could get a lot of revenue making people pay for their rights.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
This is an interesting idea, ie, taxing people who exercise their civil liberties.
- Fail to learn English
- Fail to learn Spanish

The difference between the type of civil liberties you mentioned and those who implement convenience abortions are the type you mentioned are not responsible for the death's of over 850,000 unborn human lives annually for sake of convenience. Such a tax would only apply to those responsible for a pregnancy that results in a convenience abortion, hence it being an incentive to encourage greater responsibility. This tax would be about encouraging responsible behavior and accountability for actions that result in convenience abortions. The revenue generated would be a secondary benefit that could help fund needed social programs.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The difference between the type of civil liberties you mentioned and those who implement convenience abortions are the type you mentioned are not responsible for the death's of over 850,000 unborn human lives annually for sake of convenience. Such a tax would only apply to those responsible for a pregnancy that results in a convenience abortion, hence it being an incentive to encourage greater responsibility. This tax would be about encouraging responsible behavior and accountability for actions that result in convenience abortions. The revenue generated would be a secondary benefit that could help fund needed social programs.
You call them "lives", while I call them potential lives.
But abortions aren't the only behavior politicians would want to curb.
Taxing some other civil liberties would discourage unwanted behavior, eg, atheism, obesity, monolingualism, hate speech.
When you give government the power to tax one liberty, you give them the power to tax any.
And the ability to boost revenue this way would be intoxicating.

Oh, I forgot about gay marriage & transsexual operations....those could be taxed too.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
You call them "lives", while I call them potential lives.
Abortions aren't the only behavior politicians would want to curb.
Taxing some other civil liberties would discourage unwanted behavior, eg, atheism, obesity, monolingualism, hate speech.
When you give government the power to tax one liberty, you give them the power to tax any.

The government wouldn't be taxing liberties, but rather the irresponsible behavior responsible for the lives of 850,000 unborn humans for sake of convenience. Unwanted behavior like those mentioned do not harm others, much less take the lives of others. While you may not acknowledge the unborn as "lives" they most certainly are. They live, move, and have their being in their mothers womb. They are alive to be certain. This cannot be denied aside from willful ignorance. These unborn human lives simply haven't been released into the outside world. Politicians can want anything they like. That's beside the point. Civil liberties are not relevant to this proposal.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
- Fail to learn English
- Fail to learn Spanish

I'd probably have an issue when presented with a tax bill for 105% of my income....lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The government wouldn't be taxing liberties, but rather the irresponsible behavior responsible for the lives of 850,000 unborn humans for sake of convenience. Unwanted behavior like those mentioned do not harm others, much less take the lives of others. While you may not acknowledge the unborn as "lives" they most certainly are. They live, move, and have their being in their mothers womb. They are alive to be certain. This cannot be denied aside from willful ignorance. These unborn human lives simply haven't been released into the outside world. Politicians can want anything they like. That's beside the point. Civil liberties are not relevant to this proposal.

If these unborn lives were released into the outside world, they'd immediately become 'non-lives'.
And civil liberties SHOULD be relevant to all proposals made by governments, although I'd agree that at times they don't appear to be.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I'd probably have an issue when presented with a tax bill for 105% of my income....lol

Ya think? To provide an example: $75 would be deducted from those having a monthly income of $1,500. If all you bring in is $80 per month then your deduction would be $4. If all you bring in is $100 your deduction would be $5. If you bring in $1000 your deduction would be $50. You get the picture. Minimal hit on the wallet, still able to encourage greater responsibility.

Last edited:

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Ya think? To provide an example: $75 would be deducted from those having a monthly income of $1,500. If all you bring in monthly is $80 per month then your deduction would be $4. If all you bring in is $100 your deduction would be $5. If you bring in $1000 your deduction would be $50. You get the picture. Minimal hit on the wallet, still able to encourage greater responsibility.

Oh, sorry...I didn't mean in relation to your proposed tax (only) I meant in relation to the shopping list @Revoltingest posted.
I can imagine my accountant...

10% for being an atheist
7% for eating too much fast food
23% for general dissident posting about the government, religion and corporations
42% for not voting
6% for not donating money to an approved good cause
5% for supporting gay marriage
7% for not BEING gay married.
3% for failing to learn Spanish.
2% for general crimes against the English language
=
105% of your total income

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
If these unborn lives were released into the outside world, they'd immediately become 'non-lives'.
And civil liberties SHOULD be relevant to all proposals made by governments, although I'd agree that at times they don't appear to be.

I don't follow your first statement. Your second statement is true. However, an incentive tax would not apply to civil liberties which is what was suggested. Government cannot tax freedom of religion, freedom of speech, etc. They can tax choices that harm others. Here's the thing: The proposal isn't about deterring abortion, as if that's even possible. Less unwanted pregnancies will result in less convenience abortions, however. An incentive to practice greater responsibility in the bedroom between partners to help prevent pregnancy will result in less convenience terminations, particularly given some woman's propensity to have a convenience abortion when they end up pregnant.

This would not interfere with a woman's right to choose, a woman's body, and people will still be able abort unwanted pregnancies for convenience. What this incentive will do is encourage greater responsibility in the bedroom and accountability when an unwanted pregnancy occurs. It may hit the wallet, but people are still free to choose. Woman can do whatever they want, make what ever choices they wish, get abortion after abortion if they so choose, but if they get a convenience abortion or multiple a small tax would be applied to both responsible parties responsible for that pregnancy. Woman retain their rights completely.

The government has no say over what woman do with their body. That's how it should be. The government does have a say when it comes to this nations laws and the policies adopted. We all do. That's how it should be. This issue has moved far beyond the arena of government control and into the realm of taxation. Abortion is here to stay. Pro choicer's win. Congratulations. Now it's time for this nation to encourage greater responsibility in order to help minimize unwanted pregnancies. The revenue generated would help fund education and free birth control, among other social programs.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The revenue generated would help fund education and free birth control, among other social programs.

Okay, so we're in different head-spaces when it comes to this issue, and I don't want to sidetrack your thread too much, but I just wanted to make a couple of quick points.

1) Bravo for suggesting funds could be spent on sex education and free birth control. These have been shown, time and again, to have positive effects on reducing the number of unwanted pregnancies.

2) I think promotion of increased responsibility in the bedroom is a worthy goal, both in terms of pregnancy and STD. And even just respect for sexual partners.

Laika

Premium Member
I don't agree with this, but I hope I can offer some useful criticisms as you obviously want to send this letter off. I hope that is welcome.

I realise you're trying to use taxation as a way to incentivise a particular kind of behaviour, but this seems somwhat different than putting a tax on tobbacco because it is not an act of consumption, but that sex and pregnency is a biological function. abortion gives woman more control over their bodies and their futures. I'd have an issue as I think that if someone doesn't want a child they probably won't be good parents regardless as to whether they are taxed or not simply because they didn't want to be parents.

I can certainly respect that a woman's body is her own. That is a perfectly valid stance. However, our government can encourage responsibility as well as accountability, correct? While many pro choicer's choose to terminate unborn human life instead of birthing a child, doesn't our government have the ability and power to implement a responsibility type incentive tax to help encourage responsible behavior?

I think the idea of self-ownership and taxing abortions maybe mutually exclusive. Whilst there are obviously limitations to the principle of self-ownership as an ideal (e.g. governmment regulations and taxes on banned substances, alcohol, ciggerettes etc.), this could potentially be interpreted that the government "owns" a womans body, or that a womans body is a form of private property that can be taxed as if it were real estate. There is a conflict between libertarian right to self-ownership and the more conservative goal of promoting personal responsibility and I think that probably applies more broadly to the abortion debate.

I propose that our government implement such an incentive tax. This tax should not require more than 10 % of the gross annual income from those responsible for unwanted pregnancies resulting in convenience abortions. 5 % and up to 10 % of an individuals annual income is perfectly fair and reasonable per procedure and up to 30 % to 40 % total deductions combined.

This may well be a popular prejudice, but rich people have smaller families (often just one or two) whereas poorer people often have larger families. I think this applies outside the US as larger families are more appropriate for agricultural societies as more kids= more people to help out on the farm for free. I'm not 100% sure it applies to the US. If this were the case, such a tax could therefore disproprtionately fall on the poor in society.

This tax should be applicable throughout the lives of those subjected to it. This may seem unfortunate, but many woman who end up pregnant are unsure who the father is due to multiple sexual partners.

This is deeply vindictive as it implies that a person who had an abortion must carry that guilt/tax with them for the rest of their lives. Also, in the case of teen pregnancies or under-age pregnancies, a young woman may not want the fact they had an abortion to become public knowledge.

I propose that the known potential father's should likewise be subjected to this tax. If a woman does not wish to reveal the name of the father, then perhaps she should be held responsible for his portion of the tax.

the idea that father bears some responsibility for the abortion/pregnency assumes that they automatically have a responsibility to bring up the child and that they played a role in the decision to have an abortion. it would also be a fairly gross violation of doctor-patient confidentiality.

The implementation of such a tax would not only help encourage the practice of safe and responsible sexual activity, but it could potentially save well over 5 million lives in a single decade. Sexually transmitted diseases would most assuredly decline as a result, unwanted pregnancies would most assuredly decline as a result, convenience abortions would decline exponentially as a result of this type of taxation also.

This depends on the assumption that abstianence is a question of will-power (in order to reduce unwanted pregnencies) and that is a highly debatable point. There would also have to be a definition of "convience" abortion to distinguish it from ones that are necessary (e.g. unwanted pregnencies in the case of rape or terminating a pregnancy with life-threatening complications).

philbo

High Priest of Cynicism
- Fail to learn English
- Fail to learn Spanish
..what about sending open letters to wannabe presidential candidates? Sounds like there should be a tax on that, too

But I do find it hugely amusing the thought that two aroused & randy teenagers are going to stop and think "hold on, what are the tax implications of this behaviour?" before considering whether to continue. Of course that'll work </sarcasm>

So it really wouldn't surprise me if Trump were to run with this as an idea.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
I realise you're trying to use taxation as a way to incentivise a particular kind of behaviour, but this seems somwhat different than putting a tax on tobbacco because it is not an act of consumption, but that sex and pregnency is a biological function. abortion gives woman more control over their bodies and their futures. I'd have an issue as I think that if someone doesn't want a child they probably won't be good parents regardless as to whether they are taxed or not simply because they didn't want to be parents.

The proposal wouldn't be aimed at getting woman to not abort, but to help encourage responsible behavior and rather help prevent unwanted pregnancies. You're correct that if someone doesn't want a child the likely hood of being a responsible parent is slim. The tax would help encourage them to take more precautions in the bedroom in order to prevent pregnancy and to avoid being taxed.

I think the idea of self-ownership and taxing abortions maybe mutually exclusive. Whilst there are obviously limitations to the principle of self-ownership as an ideal (e.g. governmment regulations and taxes on banned substances, alcohol, ciggerettes etc.), this could potentially be interpreted that the government "owns" a womans body, or that a womans body is a form of private property that can be taxed as if it were real estate. There is a conflict between libertarian right to self-ownership and the more conservative goal of promoting personal responsibility and I think that probably applies more broadly to the abortion debate.

Abortion isn't what would be taxed, otherwise the "tax" would entail a fee of sorts only, which could be viewed as a punishment for getting the abortion. This isn't a punishment for getting an abortion, but rather a tax incentive to encourage more responsible behavior. Irresponsible behavior that results in an unwanted pregnancy ending with the termination of an unborn human life for convenience purposes is what would be taxed, hence it being called a "responsibility Incentive Tax". The irresponsible choices which caused the unwanted pregnancy is what would be taxed but only if it results in the death of an unborn human life.

This may well be a popular prejudice, but rich people have smaller families (often just one or two) whereas poorer people often have larger families. I think this applies outside the US as larger families are more appropriate for agricultural societies as more kids= more people to help out on the farm for free. I'm not 100% sure it applies to the US. If this were the case, such a tax could therefore disproprtionately fall on the poor in society.

Possibly, but wouldn't this alone encourage even greater responsibility by those who knew they can't afford such a tax? Also, the revenue from such a tax could even help fund certain medical procedures that would ensure an unwanted pregnancy did not occur in families that meet your description.

This is deeply vindictive as it implies that a person who had an abortion must carry that guilt/tax with them for the rest of their lives. Also, in the case of teen pregnancies or under-age pregnancies, a young woman may not want the fact they had an abortion to become public knowledge.

It certainly isn't meant to be vindictive. Accountability for behavior resulting in an unwanted pregnancy and the termination of an unborn human life for sake of convenience should not be limited, but rather applied so long as the parental unit has income. The thinking process behind my position is this. Parents do not quit being parents after our children reach a certain age. Parenthood is a life long position that we choose to take upon ourselves. Pregnancy and parenthood are not things to take lightly at all. Unwanted pregnancy needs to be strongly discouraged. Likewise, responsible behavior needs to be strongly encouraged in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies. This is to help prevent people from being forced to carry the responsibilities that follows pregnancy and the termination of an unborn human life. Responsible behavior is the targeted goal. Remember this tax would not be a punishment but an incentive that address the issue two fold. It both discourages unwanted pregnancies and encourages responsible behavior. Having children is serious business. Therefore such a tax should not be limited, but applied for life if only for the reason that parenthood is for life. It is fitting and appropriate in relation to pregnancies.

the idea that father bears some responsibility for the abortion/pregnency assumes that they automatically have a responsibility to bring up the child and that they played a role in the decision to have an abortion. it would also be a fairly gross violation of doctor-patient confidentiality.

Anyone that fathers a child is most certainly responsible. This is where this proposal gets a bit tricky but also where it shines. The father would only be taxed if the mother reveals who he is, which places the mother in a position where she could be responsible for the fathers portion of the tax if she refuses to reveal him. A vindictive woman could give a false name, but the tax would not be applied to the father until genetic testing is done on the aborted fetus. This will need to be a mandatory procedure when a potential father has been named. Where this tax proposal shines is the position it puts both parties in before sexual intercourse even takes place. Both will likely insist on safer sex, both will likely insist on precautionary measures, and neither will likely be willing to have unprotected sex, which will result in fewer unwanted pregnancies.

This depends on the assumption that abstianence is a question of will-power (in order to reduce unwanted pregnencies) and that is a highly debatable point. There would also have to be a definition of "convience" abortion to distinguish it from ones that are necessary (e.g. unwanted pregnencies in the case of rape or terminating a pregnancy with life-threatening complications).

There are already definitions of convenience abortions in place. Abstinence is only one of many methods used to prevent unwanted pregnancies. It may be one of the only full proof methods, but it certainly isn't the only one. Btw, I want to thank you for taking the time to critique the proposal. I welcome more if you're willing. It helps encourage me to think out my position more thoroughly. Thank you for that!

Last edited:

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
..what about sending open letters to wannabe presidential candidates? Sounds like there should be a tax on that, too

But I do find it hugely amusing the thought that two aroused & randy teenagers are going to stop and think "hold on, what are the tax implications of this behaviour?" before considering whether to continue. Of course that'll work </sarcasm>

So it really wouldn't surprise me if Trump were to run with this as an idea.

What good is a cynic without a better plan? Also, this isn't directed at just teenagers, but also the parents of teens who are sexually active. The parents of underage teens who have convenience abortions will be the one's required to pay the tax for them until they have income and are of legal age. This will help motivate parents to better educate their children about sex and pregnancy, which is what is needed. The tax incentive would actually apply to everyone capable of producing a child. Teens make up only a small portion of those who have convenience abortions after all.

Laika

Premium Member
Btw, I want to thank you for taking the time to critique the proposal. I welcome more if you're willing. It helps encourage me to think out my position more thoroughly. Thank you for that!

Your welcome. I'm glad to be of help. :)

The proposal wouldn't be aimed at getting woman to not abort, but to help encourage responsible behavior and rather help prevent unwanted pregnancies. You're correct that if someone doesn't want a child the likely hood of being a responsible parent is slim. The tax would help encourage them to take more precautions in the bedroom in order to prevent pregnancy and to avoid being taxed.

By responsible behaviour do you mean people have less sex/more protected sex rather than fewer abortions? i.e. if people are more cautious in the bedroom, that leads to fewer unwanted pregnancies that end in abortion?

Abortion isn't what would be taxed, otherwise the "tax" would entail a fee of sorts only, which could be viewed as a punishment for getting the abortion. This isn't a punishment for getting an abortion, but rather a tax incentive to encourage more responsible behavior. Irresponsible behavior that results in an unwanted pregnancy ending with the termination of an unborn human life for convenience purposes is what would be taxed, hence it being called a "responsibility Incentive Tax". The irresponsible choices which caused the unwanted pregnancy is what would be taxed but only if it results in the death of an unborn human life.

In so far as tax means a person incurrs a monetary cost, I would have thought of it as a punishment for irresponsible behaviour. I think you could argue it is a detterrent but its a linguistic point. it might affect how it "sells" to voters and how many headlines it would get.

Possibly, but wouldn't this alone encourage even greater responsibility by those who knew they can't afford such a tax? Also, the revenue from such a tax could even help fund certain medical procedures that would ensure an unwanted pregnancy did not occur in families that meet your description.

The notion of taxing some behaviours, such as smoking or drinking, ussually has weight. However, I think you'd need a good case to argue that this is an appropriate mechanism in the abortion debate. It could seem crude as you're putting a price on a human life when most people who would hesitate to have an abortion would do it on moral grounds rather than monetary ones. it could appeal to human selfishness rather than some of the deeper sentiments about the intrinsic value of a human life. As obviously the arguments for pro-life come from not just religious instruction in the bible [I don't know if they would have a specific passage in mind] but also from how people feel.
I did economics and what your proposing fits perfectly with the conventional wisdom that people are selfish and respond to money and live based on ice-cold calculation. This has become a mainstream view (and you'll hear stuff about a "fat tax" or stuff like that to change people's behaviour.) But that is almost an admission of failure that only a "materialistic" incentive could actually convince people. I think a more thoughtful religious and conservatives could be sceptical one this. I assume the intention is preservation of a life and it would be sad to think this is how people could be convinced. it would be a truly depressing commentary on the state we are in that it works.

I'm pro-choice as but I know where the pro-life lobby is coming from. its mainly because I don't think this is a matter that can be said to be right or wrong generally- but very heavily depends on the context and on the people involved. if life is sacred (something that is a bit alien to me as an atheist), it is only a technicality that a feteus cannot exercise its rights than means it doesn't have them. I'm a guy, but I know whether or not to have a kid is a life changing decision; terminating a pregnency would be difficult and I'm not sure it be any easier if I were in a woman's shoes though I would defeintly have a different take on it. my hearts in the right place, but reason fails on subjects like this. its too personal.

As an aside, China has the one-child policy (and does tax parents who have more than one child as I recall). They were genuinely worried that population growth could lead to over-population, plus I think the disaster of the great leap forward and the famine that followed was on their mind as well. An unintended consequence of this is that the younger generation is imbalanced towards men because fewer families wanted a girl. young girls were often killed after they were born. the disparity between number of men and women (about 30 million more men than women by 2020) would disrupt traditional family arrangements. It may or may not be applicable here, but its worth thinking about. its also symbolic of where big government and social conservativism collide and comparsions between a tax incentive and that might fan the flames of a fear of big government which is an issue in the US, particuarly amongst libertarian- republicans.

It certainly isn't meant to be vindictive. Accountability for behavior resulting in an unwanted pregnancy and the termination of an unborn human life for sake of convenience should not be limited, but rather applied so long as the parental unit has income. The thinking process behind my position is this. Parents do not quit being parents after our children reach a certain age. Parenthood is a life long position that we choose to take upon ourselves. Pregnancy and parenthood are not things to take lightly at all. Unwanted pregnancy needs to be strongly discouraged. Likewise, responsible behavior needs to be strongly encouraged in order to prevent unwanted pregnancies. This is to help prevent people from being forced to carry the responsibilities that follows pregnancy and the termination of an unborn human life. Responsible behavior is the targeted goal. Remember this tax would not be a punishment but an incentive that address the issue two fold. It both discourages unwanted pregnancies and encourages responsible behavior. Having children is serious business. Therefore such a tax should not be limited, but applied for life if only for the reason that parenthood is for life. It is fitting and appropriate in relation to pregnancies.

Having Sex does not automatically entail having children. the idea that the morally correct sex is a hetrosexual relationship driven by procreation is on the wane with the advance of gay rights and womens rights to their own bodies. it is however common amongst religious conservative to assume that the only good sex is one that results in children.

By applying the tax for life, you are assuming that parenthood is the natural outcome of a person having sex. There is another view that sex serves not simply a biological function of reproducing the species, but a psychological function that is pleasurable. Parenthood, rather than being a natural institution resulting from biology, is instead a division of labour that results from marriage. marriage is a form of contract and upon entering that contract people have responsibilities of building a family. that is not however, the only way a society can work as it implies that bringing up children is an individual responsibility, whereas some societies bring up children collectively.

Anyone that fathers a child is most certainly responsible. This is where this proposal gets a bit tricky but also where it shines. The father would only be taxed if the mother reveals who he is, which places the mother in a position where she could be responsible for the fathers portion of the tax if she refuses to reveal him. A vindictive woman could give a false name, but the tax would not be applied to the father until genetic testing is done on the aborted fetus. This will need to be a mandatory procedure when a potential father has been named. Where this tax proposal shines is the position it puts both parties in before sexual intercourse even takes place. Both will likely insist on safer sex, both will likely insist on precautionary measures, and neither will likely be willing to have unprotected sex, which will result in fewer unwanted pregnancies.

As someone who supports the notion of free love I think anything I say on this won't be helpful to you. [So I'm very biased. :D]. The idea that a person has self-ownership and entail that two people have the freedom to have sex does somewhat ignore the bias that the father does not have an individual responsibilities though as the women is the one who will give birth she does. Libertarianism therefore still re-inforces a kind of male priviallage in that women are responsible for the children where as men are not. Taken to its logical conclusion, free love is therefore impractical without provision of free child care so that adults don't have sole burden of responsibility for the child. that idea is also consistent with women's rights as women need to be freed from the sole responsibility of bringing up the children. (it's strange but I still don't think of men as bringing up children in single parent families). the notion of unwanted pregnencies directly implies that people should not have the right to pursue their sexual desires freely and is conservative in that sense.

There are already definitions of convenience abortions in place. Abstinence is only one of many methods used to prevent unwanted pregnancies. It may be one of the only full proof methods, but it certainly isn't the only one.

I'll take your word for it. it would be a good idea to include it in the letter as that will help your case and establish roughly which abortions would be taxed. In a purely cynical calculation, it will tell Trump whose votes and which groups of voters will be affected. Given the senstivity of the subject, there won't be a perfect "right" answer that will make everyone happy or solve the issue completely. its not how politics works. I suspect it will be debated but its will be down to numbers in terms of polling, tax revenue and number of people affected as to whether it goes further than that. Good for you for trying. :)

If you mean this btw- you might want to send it to a Republican member of congress in your district/state as the President has very limited legislative power. if they're worth they're salt, they (or their deputy reading the letters) will probably take a well-argued piece seriously.

Fortunately I'm a Brit- so I don't have to face the reality of a Republican Congress. :D

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Let's not stop there. Let's tax a woman if she's a bad cook. Or if she doesn't wear make up in public. Or if she, I don't know, maybe forgets her burqa when she goes to market. I can see where this can be a cash cow (no pun intended) for the government.

ZenMonkey

St. James VII
By responsible behaviour do you mean people have less sex/more protected sex rather than fewer abortions? i.e. if people are more cautious in the bedroom, that leads to fewer unwanted pregnancies that end in abortion?

I mean when people have sex to just be more responsible about it. Responsibility would do wonders in relation to fewer unwanted pregnancies, which in turn would lead to fewer abortions.

In so far as tax means a person incurrs a monetary cost, I would have thought of it as a punishment for irresponsible behaviour. I think you could argue it is a detterrent but its a linguistic point. it might affect how it "sells" to voters and how many headlines it would get.

It will, which is another reason I need to shape my argument further and clearly articulate what I'm proposing. Like with smoking and the taxes incurred, they aren't penalties, but are rather incentives to help reduce the numbers of smokers in this nation. While some clearly view them as a type of punishment, most do not. This will help me in the long term. I simply need to tap into this aspect of our tax code and articulate how this proposal is very similar in practice.

The notion of taxing some behaviours, such as smoking or drinking, ussually has weight. However, I think you'd need a good case to argue that this is an appropriate mechanism in the abortion debate. It could seem crude as you're putting a price on a human life when most people who would hesitate to have an abortion would do it on moral grounds rather than monetary ones. it could appeal to human selfishness rather than some of the deeper sentiments about the intrinsic value of a human life. As obviously the arguments for pro-life come from not just religious instruction in the bible [I don't know if they would have a specific passage in mind] but also from how people feel.
I did economics and what your proposing fits perfectly with the conventional wisdom that people are selfish and respond to money and live based on ice-cold calculation. This has become a mainstream view (and you'll hear stuff about a "fat tax" or stuff like that to change people's behaviour.) But that is almost an admission of failure that only a "materialistic" incentive could actually convince people. I think a more thoughtful religious and conservatives could be sceptical one this. I assume the intention is preservation of a life and it would be sad to think this is how people could be convinced. it would be a truly depressing commentary on the state we are in that it works.

I'm pro-choice as but I know where the pro-life lobby is coming from. its mainly because I don't think this is a matter that can be said to be right or wrong generally- but very heavily depends on the context and on the people involved. if life is sacred (something that is a bit alien to me as an atheist), it is only a technicality that a feteus cannot exercise its rights than means it doesn't have them. I'm a guy, but I know whether or not to have a kid is a life changing decision; terminating a pregnency would be difficult and I'm not sure it be any easier if I were in a woman's shoes though I would defeintly have a different take on it. my hearts in the right place, but reason fails on subjects like this. its too personal.

It is personal, but our emotions need to stay out of government policy. This nation should not be ruled by emotion, but by principle and policies that will help benefit the whole. For example: Abortion should remain legal. The government should not be enabled to force a woman to endure an unwanted pregnancy. As for the unborn in question ... I was asked the following questions just this morning: Are acorns oak trees? Are flower seeds flowers? Are Sturgeon eggs Sturgeon? Are tadpoles frogs? If you give this an ounce of thought the logical line of reason and line of questioning becomes apparent. Will acorns become oak trees? Will flower seeds become flowers? Will sturgeon eggs become fish? Will tadpoles become frogs? Will babies become a toddlers? Will toddlers become teens? Will teens become adults? Will adults become seniors? Will human fertilized eggs become human babies? Yes! So why are fetus' not referred to as human beings by pro choice proponents? Fetus' are undeniably human beings. They may be going through developmental processes, but then we all are. We're just further along than a fetus. We're further along than babies. We're further along than toddlers. Most of us are further along than teens. We may consider ourselves to be grown adults, but our developmental processes are not nearly complete. We too are in the process of further development. The whole fetus' are not viable argument becomes moot in light of our reality as living beings.

Why then should abortion be legal? My view is because of the fact that a woman should retain the right to choose and determine what happens to her own body. The fact that a pregnant woman's body is being shared and depended on by another human being is also moot. A woman should not be forced to endure an unwanted pregnancy by our government or by anyone else. The woman gets to decide. It's that simple, so the issue needs a new direction. It needs new life breathed into it! The issue needs to develop and evolve until a feasible solution is reached. 1. Woman need to be truthfully educated to ensure they understand the reality that a human being is living in their womb before allowed to undergo an abortion procedure. 2. Responsibility as well as accountability needs to be strongly encouraged by our government and by the parents in this nation. 3. Initiatives to help limit abortions need to be brought to the table and placed under scrutiny. This issue is no longer in the arena of government control. The choice to abort a pregnancy needs to stand firm. The moral aspects needs to fall directly on those who choose to abort unwanted pregnancies, and emotion needs to take a seat to reason.

As an aside, China has the one-child policy (and does tax parents who have more than one child as I recall). They were genuinely worried that population growth could lead to over-population, plus I think the disaster of the great leap forward and the famine that followed was on their mind as well. An unintended consequence of this is that the younger generation is imbalanced towards men because fewer families wanted a girl. young girls were often killed after they were born. the disparity between number of men and women (about 30 million more men than women by 2020) would disrupt traditional family arrangements. It may or may not be applicable here, but its worth thinking about. its also symbolic of where big government and social conservativism collide and comparsions between a tax incentive and that might fan the flames of a fear of big government which is an issue in the US, particuarly amongst libertarian- republicans.

Indeed!

Having Sex does not automatically entail having children. the idea that the morally correct sex is a hetrosexual relationship driven by procreation is on the wane with the advance of gay rights and womens rights to their own bodies. it is however common amongst religious conservative to assume that the only good sex is one that results in children.

By applying the tax for life, you are assuming that parenthood is the natural outcome of a person having sex. There is another view that sex serves not simply a biological function of reproducing the species, but a psychological function that is pleasurable. Parenthood, rather than being a natural institution resulting from biology, is instead a division of labour that results from marriage. marriage is a form of contract and upon entering that contract people have responsibilities of building a family. that is not however, the only way a society can work as it implies that bringing up children is an individual responsibility, whereas some societies bring up children collectively.

Sex isn't the issue, but rather the encouragement of responsible behavior. Those in the LGBT community aren't burdened with this issue, thus are not included in the proposal unless a termination of an unborn human life somehow becomes an issue for them. In other words, they don't need to worry about unwanted pregnancies based on sexual orientation. Marriage, traditional or otherwise is not applicable. There is no bias in the proposal against anyone. The purpose is to help prevent unwanted pregnancies by encouraging more responsible behavior, which would help decrease the number of abortions in this nation.

As someone who supports the notion of free love I think anything I say on this won't be helpful to you. [So I'm very biased. :D]. The idea that a person has self-ownership and entail that two people have the freedom to have sex does somewhat ignore the bias that the father does not have an individual responsibilities though as the women is the one who will give birth she does. Libertarianism therefore still re-inforces a kind of male priviallage in that women are responsible for the children where as men are not. Taken to its logical conclusion, free love is therefore impractical without provision of free child care so that adults don't have sole burden of responsibility for the child. that idea is also consistent with women's rights as women need to be freed from the sole responsibility of bringing up the children. (it's strange but I still don't think of men as bringing up children in single parent families). the notion of unwanted pregnencies directly implies that people should not have the right to pursue their sexual desires freely and is conservative in that sense.

People should have the right to pursue their sexual desires freely, but by doing so they likewise need to be responsible about it. I'm all for the fulfillment of sexual desire. Sex is not just for procreation, but a very essential element to the enjoyment of life itself. Sex should not be viewed as a bad thing or immoral. Quite the contrary, it should be championed along with responsibility.

I'll take your word for it. it would be a good idea to include it in the letter as that will help your case and establish roughly which abortions would be taxed. In a purely cynical calculation, it will tell Trump whose votes and which groups of voters will be affected. Given the senstivity of the subject, there won't be a perfect "right" answer that will make everyone happy or solve the issue completely. its not how politics works. I suspect it will be debated but its will be down to numbers in terms of polling, tax revenue and number of people affected as to whether it goes further than that. Good for you for trying. :)

If you mean this btw- you might want to send it to a Republican member of congress in your district/state as the President has very limited legislative power. if they're worth they're salt, they (or their deputy reading the letters) will probably take a well-argued piece seriously.

Fortunately I'm a Brit- so I don't have to face the reality of a Republican Congress. :D

Great advice! Thanks again ...