• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

5 Heroes that Stopped a Terrorist on French Train = Role Models for us all

Kirran

Premium Member
Dude! American news, what the hell. There were four named heroes here, three Americans and a Brit. One unnamed Frenchperson as well (asked to remain anonymous).

Although, yes, absolutely, very brave.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Dude! American news, what the hell. There were four named heroes here, three Americans and a Brit. One unnamed Frenchperson as well (asked to remain anonymous).

Although, yes, absolutely, very brave.
My mistake. I forgot about the British guy. Amending OP now. Thanks for pointing that out.

Godobeyer

the word "Islam" means "submission" to God
Premium Member
Why always the media said that the suspect was "under eye of the security and they knew about him " !!!

the same senario/story happened always since 9/11

Kirran

Premium Member
Why always the media said that the suspect was "under eye of the security and they knew about him " !!!

the same senario/story happened always since 9/11

Well there are many young Muslims in the West and so on who are known to associate with extremist-leaning groups, so they're vaguely on the radar of the authorities as a result of that. But I suspect there are too many people involved with such groups for them all to be constantly monitored etc. Of course, people associated with such groups are still a small minority of the Western Muslim population, don't get me wrong here.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
What happened to the vaunted European gun control that this terrorist had an AK-47?
He most likely acquired them illegally. What's your point? It's not like anyone expects gun laws to work flawlessly. Like any other law, there are exceptions.

Laika

Premium Member
http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/24/europe/france-train-shooting/index.html

Imho, these guys are role models for the rest of us. They put themselves in harms way to stop a maniac from killing innocent train passengers. I think this is exactly what needs to grow as a movement for any fight against terrorism to be successful. What are your thoughts?

I agree, but I'd keep in mind that the three US soldiers are proffessionals and so knew the risks. it was a crazy thing to do and I'm just glad there were people there who were willing (and able) to take the guy down.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I agree, but I'd keep in mind that the three US soldiers are proffessionals and so knew the risks. it was a crazy thing to do and I'm just glad there were people there who were willing (and able) to take the guy down.
Don't you think it's life or death at that point though? Not much to lose at that point.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
Well there are many young Muslims in the West and so on who are known to associate with extremist-leaning groups, so they're vaguely on the radar of the authorities as a result of that. But I suspect there are too many people involved with such groups for them all to be constantly monitored etc. Of course, people associated with such groups are still a small minority of the Western Muslim population, don't get me wrong here.
here , you did not come with new .

my point is : why the authorities don't catch them before they doing their crimes , since they known as extremists ?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
here , you did not come with new .

my point is : why the authorities don't catch them before they doing their crimes , since they known as extremists ?
In free countries you cannot arrest someone before committing a crime unless there is overwhelming evidence. Kind of unreasonable when there are thousands of "questionable" people out there. Honestly, I find it troubling that you aren't directing any blame toward the psychopathic maniac who was ready and willing to murder innocent civilians without reason.

Laika

Premium Member
Don't you think it's life or death at that point though? Not much to lose at that point.

I do. but the military conditions people to run towards the danger than away from it. I think for most people thats counter-intutive, even when its right. you have to give up the idea that you can ever really chose whether you live or die and accept that death, in one form or another, is inevitable. that's generally not something that happens in a split second decision but is something people become used to with time. we're still primarily emotional creates and a major part of heroism is, in addition to surviving to take the credit (cough) , is over-coming the primitive sense of self-preservation and that others lives are at stake rather than just your own. you can't run away from bullets, so you run towards them in the hope of getting the gun out of the guys hand.

that's crazy. but its a special and noble kind of crazy to say the least. :D

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I do. but the military conditions people to run towards the danger than away from it. I think for most people thats counter-intutive, even when its right. you have to give up the idea that you can ever really chose whether you live or die and accept that death, in one form or another, is inevitable. that's generally not something that happens in a split second decision but is something people become used to with time. we're still primarily emotional creates and a major part of heroism is, in addition to surviving to take the credit (cough) , is over-coming the primitive sense of self-preservation and that others lives are at stake rather than just your own. you can't run away from bullets, so you run towards them in the hope of getting the gun out of the guys hand.

that's crazy. but its a special and noble kind of crazy to say the least. :D
I've heard that such heroism is typically due to an automatic reaction.
http://www.radiolab.org/story/104009-i-need-a-hero/
So many Carnegie Hero Fund recipients never gave any consideration to what they did before they did it.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
In free countries you cannot arrest someone before committing a crime unless there is overwhelming evidence. Kind of unreasonable when there are thousands of "questionable" people out there. Honestly, I find it troubling that you aren't directing any blame toward the psychopathic maniac who was ready and willing to murder innocent civilians without reason.
even , IF the security know for sure that he is preparing for a crime ?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
If they have evidence that he is going to commit a specific crime at a specific place, sure. Apparently this time that was not the case. When people do get taken out before even trying, it doesn't make front page news, as it's not that interesting. Remember, news organizations are businesses. And like every other business, they are out to make money.

Kirran

Premium Member

That's the point. They know he associates with fundamentalist Islamic groups, but there are many thousands who do. They don't know he's actually preparing to commit a crime.

Godobeyer

Premium Member
If they have evidence that he is going to commit a specific crime at a specific place, sure. Apparently this time that was not the case. When people do get taken out before even trying, it doesn't make front page news, as it's not that interesting. Remember, news organizations are businesses. And like every other business, they are out to make money.

thank for this clarification

I do agree with you that News channels may lie to make more viewers, so make more money .