• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

108 names of Agni?

Shrew

Does Agni Deva have 108 names like so many other Hindu gods & goddesses?
Somehow I doubt it because Agni is a vedic god and I think the tradition of 108 names is post-vedic.
But if someone knows otherwise, please let me know.

I found here some 34 names for Agni:

1.Agni - Going forward
2.Vaisvanara - Relative of the people; Relative of Visva Nara
3.Vahni - Travels with wind
4.Vitihotra - Place where many Ahutis are offered
5.Dananjaya - Helps to earn wealth; also name of Arjuna and a snake
6.Krupeetayoni - Source of water; vice verse Water produces Agni
7.Jwalana - Glittering, glowing
8.Jataveda - He who knows all; Heat creates everything e.g. sun, body heat
9.Tanunapath - He never allows the body to fall; one who does not protect his own shape; becoming dry or one who eats ghee
10.Barhi - Creeping, crawling
11.Sushma - One who shortens or dries everything
12.Krsnvartma (Krishnavartma) - One who produces black smoke
13.Sochiskesa - One who has flame as his hair
14.Usharbuh - Bright in the morning; Brahmins make him bright in the morning.
15.Asrasya - One who burns everything associated with him
16.Brhatbanu - One who creates light
17.Krshanu (Krishanu?) - emaciating
18.Pavaka - One who purifies
19.Anala - One of the Eight Vasus
20.Rohitasva - One who has a red horse
21.Vayusaka - Friend of the wind
22.Shikavan -One who has flames of tuft
23.Asusukshani - Dries anything at once or shortens
24.Hiranyareta - Golden shakti or veeryam
25.Hutabuk - Whatever offered is eaten by him
26.Dahana - One who makes everyone feels hot
27.Havyavahana - One who has wind as a vehicle
28.Saptarchi - One who has got seven flames
29.Damuna - One who subdue, quietens
30.Sukra - Colour of Sukra
31.Chitrabanu - Colourful light
32.Vivavasu - Light is his wealth
33.Suchi - One who purifies everything
34.Apapitta - He is the embodiment of pitta in the water

Can someone explain on name 6, Krupeetayoni - Source of water; vice verse Water produces Agni?
I don't understand how it should be possible for fire to create water, or for water to create fire.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I can't speak to the 108 names, but in the Yajur Veda there is a famous hymn, Mantra Pushpam. It's recited after almost every puja.

agnirva apamayatanam, ayatanavan bhavati yo agnerayatanam veda, ayatanavan bhavati
apo va angerayatanam, ayatanavan bhavati
ya evam veda, yopamayatanam veda, ayatanavan bhavati

"Fire is the source of water, He who knows this, Becomes established in himself, Water is the source of fire, He who knows this, Becomes established in himself. He, who knows the source of water, Becomes established in himself." (this is just one stanza).

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam

Never heard of AgniJi's 108 names... That's an interesting question ! If you find more, let me know

Aum Namah Shivaya

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Ah ha! Yes, there is an Agni Ashtottara Shatanamavali. However, I haven't seen it in English. I think this is either Telugu or Tamil.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B3I2GbImWxEtSTlWRFRId2NTSVcyU3ZPMUktb0N5QQ/edit?pli=1
Yes, telegu. As you probably know, Sanskrit is transliterated into many Indian languages. That does cause some confusion some days, as it appears the preists, if they're reading, are doing the puja in Tamil, Malayalam, etc. With Devanagiri, I'm not sure.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think its probably possible, bu installing Telegu fonts on your computer, than finding a transliteration program from Telegu to English. It would take some effort.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yes, Telegu. As you probably know, Sanskrit is transliterated into many Indian languages. That does cause some confusion some days, as it appears the preists, if they're reading, are doing the puja in Tamil, Malayalam, etc. With Devanagiri, I'm not sure.
Transliteration can be in any language, the text or poetry does not change, but even then, there are variations - 'Ekam sat, dviteeyo nasti', 'Ekameva adviteeyam', 'Eko Brahma, dviteeyo nasti', etc. Only the pronunciation is different. Then different priests choose different mantras to perform the pujas. So, it seems to be completely different, but it is not. There is no standard format.

All 'namavalis' are expansion only, some times, very contrived and unnecessary. Does the worshiped not become a deity unless he/she has 108 or 1008 names? For example 'Asraya'. Now every deity is an 'asraya' (refuge), it is not a particular name of Agni.

@Shrew, 'Krupita yoni' will mean the one with 'angry form'.
p.s. - Sorry, I am wrong here. 'Krupeeta yoni' is 'wood-born' (Agni).

Last edited: