Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Neopagan or Revival Religions DIR / Wicca DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 PM
silvermoon383 Offline
Religion: LDS
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 101
silvermoon383 added a shed out back to store more frubalssilvermoon383 added a shed out back to store more frubalssilvermoon383 added a shed out back to store more frubals
Default Meaning of the Pentagram and other stars

An old friend of mine was Wiccan and I read a number of books on it and would ask all sorts of questions. One thing I never got to ask about was the meaning of the other stars (other than the pentagram which one of the books I read explained it pretty well).

I learned about the other stars (in particular the 7 and 12 point stars) from another Wiccan friend, but again, I never got to ask.

OK, I admit that my memory about the pentagram isn't too good either. I remember that the 5 arms represent each of the elements (earth (green), fire (red), wind (can't remember its color), water (blue), and spirit (white, and I know it has a proper name, I just can't remember it)). Does the center of it mean anything?

And what meaning is there (if any) behind the 7 and 12 point stars?
Old 04-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Nehustan Offline
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 257
Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'Nehustan has this annoying habit of using a 'devil voice' when saying the word 'frubal'

I keep posting this geometric explanation of the pentagram with Jahweh (IHVH) being combined with the spirit. It is often cited that the four letters of the word Jahweh (IHVH) correspond to the four 'elements' with which our creation was formed.

Ruach Elohim
= 300 =

Thus the actual name of 'Jesus' (Jeheshuah) has the meaning of one who reconciles with Eloah through the spirit.

In the thread I consider geometry, numbers and specifically the number 5/pentagram/hamza.

Last edited by Nehustan; 04-02-2006 at 09:59 PM..
Old 04-04-2006, 08:43 AM
Draka Offline
Religion: Spiritual
Title:Cylon Skin Job
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For sharing 100 X 100 thoughts! 

Frubals: 2343
Draka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal
Draka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubalDraka loves that little tingle you get right before a big frubal

Obtained from I don't quite remember where...but it's in my info in my EBOS:

Five Pointed Star - Pentagram

The five pointed star, a Sumerian symbol for Venus, originates in the astronomical observation by these ancients of the movement of the planet through the seasons. In Pythagorean mysticism the pentagram stands for the human being (a figure with arms and legs outstretched). Pythagoreans used the symbol as a wish for good health.

Encircled Five Pointed Star - Pentacle

The points of the pentacle refer to the four material elements - earth, air, fire, and water, with the fifth, spirit, ascending out of their materiality. This is the quintessential human potential -to be able to transcend materiality through materiality. This is a powerful occult magical sign of protection. The pentacle is also an icon for man within the circle of the Divine. The circle itself usually symbolizing the eternal life of the Divine, a never ending loop. The pentacle is a widely recognized symbol for witchcraft, magick and sorcery.

Seven Pointed Star - Heptagram

The 7 pointed star is a heptagram, a familiar motif during Hellenistic times when the 7 day week was first adopted. Each point refers to a day of the week and a celestial body, starting clockwise with Sunday at the top point, then, the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn. Seven is a dynamic number of magickal significance in most cultures.

Eight Pointed Star - Octogram

The 8 pointed star is a Gnostic symbol, known as the octagram of creation. It is related to Venus, and also sacred to Ishtar. In Nordic traditions the octagram is used to invoke magick and also as a protecting ideogram. Chaospheres have 8 points - order 90 degrees and chaos 45 degrees

8 Points formed by two squares

This is the traditional Star of Ishtar. Composed of two intertwined squares, this is a symbol of regeneration. It is a symbol for the natural universe interweaving order and disorder, yin and yang, to create an ultimately harmonious and balanced design.

Twelve Pointed Stars

12 Pointed Stars are found cross culturally and can refer to the 12 Disciples, the 12 Knights of the Celtic Round Table, the 12 Signs of the Zodiac, the 12 lictors of Romulus, the 12 Peers of France and even the 12 Namshans of the Round Council of the Dalai Lama.

Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2755
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draka
Obtained from I don't quite remember where...but it's in my info in my EBOS:

Five Pointed Star - Pentagram

The five pointed star, a Sumerian symbol for Venus, originates in the astronomical observation by these ancients of the movement of the planet through the seasons. In Pythagorean mysticism the pentagram stands for the human being (a figure with arms and legs outstretched). Pythagoreans used the symbol as a wish for good health.

Encircled Five Pointed Star - Pentacle

The points of the pentacle refer to the four material elements - earth, air, fire, and water, with the fifth, spirit, ascending out of their materiality. This is the quintessential human potential -to be able to transcend materiality through materiality. This is a powerful occult magical sign of protection. The pentacle is also an icon for man within the circle of the Divine. The circle itself usually symbolizing the eternal life of the Divine, a never ending loop. The pentacle is a widely recognized symbol for witchcraft, magick and sorcery.

Seven Pointed Star - Heptagram

The 7 pointed star is a heptagram, a familiar motif during Hellenistic times when the 7 day week was first adopted. Each point refers to a day of the week and a celestial body, starting clockwise with Sunday at the top point, then, the Sun, the Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn. Seven is a dynamic number of magickal significance in most cultures.

Eight Pointed Star - Octogram

The 8 pointed star is a Gnostic symbol, known as the octagram of creation. It is related to Venus, and also sacred to Ishtar. In Nordic traditions the octagram is used to invoke magick and also as a protecting ideogram. Chaospheres have 8 points - order 90 degrees and chaos 45 degrees

8 Points formed by two squares

This is the traditional Star of Ishtar. Composed of two intertwined squares, this is a symbol of regeneration. It is a symbol for the natural universe interweaving order and disorder, yin and yang, to create an ultimately harmonious and balanced design.

Twelve Pointed Stars

12 Pointed Stars are found cross culturally and can refer to the 12 Disciples, the 12 Knights of the Celtic Round Table, the 12 Signs of the Zodiac, the 12 lictors of Romulus, the 12 Peers of France and even the 12 Namshans of the Round Council of the Dalai Lama.
Very good descriptions; if anyone is interested, this :- http://altreligion.about.com/library.../aa100102a.htm

Is an excellent thorough insight in how petagrams first came about. I would have copied some of the text, but the author has put a restriction on doing so.

Well worth a read, IMO.
Old 04-04-2006, 09:31 AM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: Cooper-ism
Title:Purple Haze
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1210
Shadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxious
Shadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxiousShadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxiousShadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxiousShadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxiousShadow Wolf wonders why teenage frubals are so obnoxious

Draka did explain it pretty good.
Quote:
wind (can't remember its color)
The color is yellow.