Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Theological Concepts
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Boethiah Offline
Religion: Seeking
Title:Penguin

Frubals: 32
Boethiah has a pet name for each frubal
Default Pantheism in Star Wars

This idea has probably been brought up, but isn't pantheism a major theme in the Star Wars universe? The whole "forces that binds us together" thing seems to have some pretty pantheist undertones. If it isn't strictly pantheism, would it fall under another category better?
Old 07-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Religion: Pantheist
Title:quintessence of dust

Frubals: 942
fantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurtfantôme profane suggests that you just hand over the frubals and nobody gets hurt

I vaguely remember reading once that George Lucus was influenced by the idea of “Chi” (or Qi) in Taoist philosophy.

Finding Darwin’s God” by Kenneth R. Miller. For anyone interested in Creation/Evolution
Old 07-03-2010, 02:08 PM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: per aspera ad inferi
Title:Ghoul
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1153
Shadow Wolf gets a little dizzy looking at all these frubals
Shadow Wolf gets a little dizzy looking at all these frubalsShadow Wolf gets a little dizzy looking at all these frubalsShadow Wolf gets a little dizzy looking at all these frubalsShadow Wolf gets a little dizzy looking at all these frubals

I think it's more of a Tao theme, but there are also other ideologies that the Jedi are based on. There is also a good deal of Bushido and Buddhism blended into a Jedi.
For without Thee
We are in The Crapper.
Old 07-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 

Frubals: 2365
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed

Lucas said:
"The Force evolved out of various developments of character and plot. I wanted a concept of religion based on the premise that there is a God and there is good and evil. I began to distill the essence of all religions into what I thought was a basic idea common to all religions and common to primitive thinking. I wanted to develop something that was nondenominational but still had a kind of religious reality. I believe in God and I believe in right and wrong. I also believe that there are basic tenets which through history have developed into certainties, such as 'thou shalt not kill.' I don't want to hurt other people. 'Do unto others...' is the philosophy that permeates my work."
[Source: Ryder Windham. Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace Scrapbook. Random House (1999), pg. 11.]
Old 07-03-2010, 02:58 PM
xkatz Online!
Title:Jewish Member

Frubals: 345
xkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just thesexkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just thesexkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just thesexkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just thesexkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just thesexkatz isn't sure whether ALL frubals are special, or just these

Star Wars draws a lot from Eastern religions, especially Toaism, Buddha Dharma, Confucianism, and maybe from other traditions as well.

Last edited by xkatz; 07-03-2010 at 03:07 PM..
Old 07-03-2010, 05:40 PM
WayFarer Offline
Title:Rogue Scholar

Frubals: 56
WayFarer has a reputation beyond reputeWayFarer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boethiah View Post
This idea has probably been brought up, but isn't pantheism a major theme in the Star Wars universe? The whole "forces that binds us together" thing seems to have some pretty pantheist undertones. If it isn't strictly pantheism, would it fall under another category better?
I wouldn't argue with the theology of Star Wars being pantheistic in nature. I would say with the "apparent Will of the Force (Universe)" being Tao-istic in nature. While the code action of the Jedi being Bushido (a fusion of Zen, Buddhism and Shinto with a warrior/martial arts/Confucian-like code).

...or maybe panentheistic if the Force is "alive" (conscious/active).

Last edited by WayFarer; 07-03-2010 at 06:32 PM.. Reason: panentheistic statement
Old 07-06-2010, 12:10 AM
dust1n Offline
Religion: Post-Anarchism
Title:Zindīq
Shield of The Renaissance Man: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: Your contributions to various topics over the years. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 10,000 Posts 

Frubals: 1853
dust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubals
dust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubalsdust1n almost passed out from the smell of stale frubals

I think he just ripped off everyone other myth in the world where there is a hero in a good/evil situation because everyone loves it so much and the potential to make money is ridiculous there of.

The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.- Martin Heidegger
Old 07-06-2010, 12:28 AM
Skwim Online!
Religion: Agnostic
Title:Valiant Member

Frubals: 733
Skwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubalsSkwim ignored the 'dry clean only' warning and ended up with really tight frubals

According to Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars film, the Force is an energy field created by all living things, which surrounds and penetrates living beings and binds the galaxy together. Throughout the series, characters exhibit various powers that rely on the Force. So it isn't pantheism.

Source: Wikipedia
Old 07-06-2010, 03:46 AM
Wannabe Yogi Offline
Religion: Hinduism
Title:Esteemed Member

Frubals: 565
Wannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubalWannabe Yogi counsels you to try harder to connect with your inner frubal

I don't know what religion Lucas used as basis for the force in starwars.

I do know that Lucas considered Joseph Campbell as his mentor, and used the book Hero with a Thousand Faces as the basis of Starwars. So the movie was made in the style of a Myth . Lucas did a whole interview with Bill Moyers on this subject.

Cinema: Of Myth And Men - TIME

"Yato mot, tato path" As many faiths, so many paths. -Ramakrishna-
Old 07-06-2010, 04:31 AM
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 

Frubals: 2365
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed
Mestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballedMestemia just wants a cigarette after being fruballed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Yogi View Post
I don't know what religion Lucas used as basis for the force in starwars.

I do know that Lucas considered Joseph Campbell as his mentor, and used the book Hero with a Thousand Faces as the basis of Starwars. So the movie was made in the style of a Myth . Lucas did a whole interview with Bill Moyers on this subject.

Cinema: Of Myth And Men - TIME
PSSSSST!
Post #4