Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Theological Concepts / Theism
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-25-2013, 04:40 PM
savagewind Offline
Religion: I believe Yehoshua
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats! And sorry this took so long. 

Frubals: 312
savagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal licker
Default The name Michael

The name Michael means who is like god. Correct?

Does it mean

"Who is like God?" a question

or is it

He "who is like god" a statement

???
Old 09-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Tarheeler Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 454
Tarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetings

According to the all mighty wikipedia: In Hebrew, Michael means "who is like God?".

A rhetorical question, most likely.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM
savagewind Offline
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats! And sorry this took so long. 

savagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal lickersavagewind is a compulsive frubal licker

There is a huge difference between a person who asks "who is like god?" and a person who is recognized as like God.

The reason why I ask is because Jesus would never, ever ask that. So if the person called Michael is called that because it is like he is asking the question who is like God, it can't be Jesus. Jesus knows there is no one like God.

If it is a statement then the controversy goes on....and on.....and on....and...you get the idea
Old 09-25-2013, 04:51 PM
savagewind Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheeler View Post
According to the all mighty wikipedia: In Hebrew, Michael means "who is like God?".

A rhetorical question, most likely.
Thank you. It is what most people think, that it is a question. But the controversy about who Michael represents got me thinking.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:56 PM
Tarheeler Offline
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 454
Tarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetingsTarheeler was caught skipping Frubals Anonymous meetings

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewind View Post
Thank you. It is what most people think, that it is a question. But the controversy about who Michael represents got me thinking.
I'm pretty sure it's a question. My Hebrew name is Micah and means the same thing, and there are variations with Yah at the end instead of El. They seem to have been fairly common names in ancient Israel.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Levite Offline
Religion: Jewish
Title:Higher and Higher
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 924
Levite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares upLevite gets really grumpy every time that old fruballing injury flares up

It's also my son's name, so I can tell you with certainty, the name "Michael" is a rehetorical question, "Who is like God?"
Old 09-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Horrorble Offline
Religion: No Religion
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 159
Horrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objects

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagewind View Post
The name Michael means who is like god. Correct?

Does it mean

"Who is like God?" a question

or is it

He "who is like god" a statement

???
I've never thought of that, cool!
"The worst immorality is to use one's strength to dominate or control. The worst immorality is to surrender the essence of oneself for love or money. The worst immorality is to believe in nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing. - Andrea Dworkin
Old 09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Gjallarhorn Offline
Religion: To Be Determined
Title:N'yog-Sothep
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For your extensive reading and knowledge about different topics 

Frubals: 909
Gjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more senseGjallarhorn wonders whether buying frubals outright our signing a long-term lease makes more sense

On the other side, how would one create a name meaning "One like God"?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:37 PM
savagewind Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjallarhorn View Post
On the other side, how would one create a name meaning "One like God"?
I suppose those people who believed in gods. Even presently there are humans considered gods. Why would a parent name their child that? Hoping he will win the Olympic games, maybe. (haha)

Jesus is consider by many like God or God. So his name could be "one like God". I believe Michael means who, not he.

Why would God's son be sent forth to look for someone like God? It's ridiculous. The name isn't ridiculous for anyone else but for the one who knows there is no one else. Why go looking for something you know's not there?
Michael is not Jesus.

There is no bowing one. Here's a frog.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:19 PM
graalbaum Offline
Religion: GraalBaum
Title:Triple Sun

Frubals: 15
graalbaum gives frubals to the homeless

in some traditions, it was believed that Jesus was secretly Michael.

Michael is often seen as a solar arch angel related to tifferet, of course this has not always been true. Traditionally for orthodox Christians though he is generally seen as solar. Solar beings are often saviors and mediators between mankind and God.

Michael is one of the few beings found outside of judaeo christianity....