Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Discuss Individual Religions (DIR) / Non-Revealed Religions DIR / Taoism DIR
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Religion: Stoicism (Esoteric)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

Frubals: 749
The Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a babyThe Sum of Awe is not quite mean enough to take frubals from a baby
Default Reading the Tao Teh Ching

I wanted to read up about Zen, but I realized I don't have any books on Zen and I still have an unopened Tao Teh Ching.

But, I only have one translation, should I read more of it, or is just this one fine?

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
"At death, there is no "return to God," for we never stop being of him."
The Sum of Awe
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Thorbjorn Offline
Religion: Ásatrú
Title:friđr
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 779
Thorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get openThorbjorn constantly whines that the protective packaging they use for frubals is a pain to get open

There are a bunch of online translations of the Tao Te Ching. In one of my posts in the Taoism Dir is a link. They can be very different.

Edit: it's in my thread about the Tao of Pooh.
And let thine enemies know fear this day!

Ţórr vigi - May Thor protect.

Formerly Known As Jainarayan.

Last edited by Thorbjorn; 03-04-2013 at 04:47 PM..
Old 03-04-2013, 04:48 PM
dust1n Offline
Religion: Post-Anarchism
Title:Zindīq
Shield of The Renaissance Man: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: Your contributions to various topics over the years. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 10,000 Posts 

Frubals: 1880
dust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubals
dust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubalsdust1n had gooey green stuff all over the car after driving through a gigantic swarm of frubals

Just read it... it takes a couple of hours.

The most thought-provoking thing in our thought-provoking time is that we are still not thinking.- Martin Heidegger
Old 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: Nature
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 7269
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest
Sunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nestSunstone lost a limb trying to raid a frubal nest

I think it's best to read at least two or three translations.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday

Most people who are into it read several translations, since it's not easy to translate. You should just read whatever you have, but if it's one of the super wordy ones that tries to explain everything, be wary.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:23 AM
crossfire Offline
Religion: nebulous mystic
Title:lazycop-out heretic troll
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For exceptional representation of the beliefs you hold. 

Frubals: 543
crossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a month

Here's a free copy of Ron Hogan's freely (and free-wheeling) translation of the Tao Te Ching, (not anything like a word-by-word translation--more like a paraphrase into modern vernacular) that is quite handy for comparisons.

http://www.beatrice.com/TAO.pdf
Bring your cookies here! The Cookie Cult
Old 03-06-2013, 10:37 AM
crossfire Offline
Religion: nebulous mystic
Title:lazycop-out heretic troll
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For exceptional representation of the beliefs you hold. 

Frubals: 543
crossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a monthcrossfire accidentally swallowed too many frubals and couldn't chicken dance for a month

Two important Ch'an (Zen) documents are the Hsin Hsin Ming (two translations side by side) and the Platform Sutra, with another translation of it here.

Complete works of Chuang Tzu are here.
Bring your cookies here! The Cookie Cult
Old 03-08-2013, 06:23 PM
DreadFish Offline
Religion: Awakening
Title:Forum Fish

Frubals: 385
DreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppetsDreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppetsDreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppetsDreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppetsDreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppetsDreadFish pokes holes in frubals to use them as finger puppets

The first copy of the TTC () I got, and my favorite one, is translated by Stephen Mitchell. I didnt realize it when I first read it but, it has a zen/tao bent to it. Nonetheless, I find that to be quite appropriate, given the subject matter.

There is actually a school of Taoism called the Dragon Gate sect, which is a sub school of the Quanzhen or "All True" school of Taoism. The Dragon Gate school synthesizes elements of Buddhism and Confucianism with the Taoism. So I find no problem with the "zen-like" bent on the subject matter.