Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Social World / Sexuality
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Should pornography be bannes? If so, is it because or partially because it exploits women?
yes, should be banned, it exploits women 22 17.89%
yes, should be banned, does not exploit women 4 3.25%
no, should not be banned, exploits women 38 30.89%
no, should not be banned, does not exploit women 59 47.97%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #401  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,748
Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorble View Post
I can't watch the video cause I'm out and about but the commentary at the bottom tells me nothing in detail about the study and what questions were asked and in what format, interviews? Anonymous questionnaire?
Te only thing I know is this

Journal of Sex Research - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Peer reviewed scientific journal talking about the specific subject does sound a lot better than Alcestes study in which she pretends a street prostitute has the same spychological background of the avarage pornstar.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie
__________________
I am an experience of the divine.
Reply With Quote
  #402  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:47 AM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,748
Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size
Default

S in other words, nope it not only doesnt exploit them, but they are plain happier and psychologically healthier than the average woman.
__________________
I am an experience of the divine.
Reply With Quote
  #403  
Old 05-07-2013, 10:50 AM
Horrorble's Avatar
Horrorble Offline
Religion: No Religion
Title:Uber Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,380
Frubals: 159
Horrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objectsHorrorble thinks of frubals as mere sex objects
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
S in other words, nope it not only doesnt exploit them, but they are plain happier and psychologically healthier than the average woman.
Erm sorry but I'm going to need more then that. How were they measuring self esteem? How were they analysing psychological health?
__________________
"The worst immorality is to use one's strength to dominate or control. The worst immorality is to surrender the essence of oneself for love or money. The worst immorality is to believe in nothing, do nothing, achieve nothing. - Andrea Dworkin
Reply With Quote
  #404  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,748
Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrorble View Post
Erm sorry but I'm going to need more then that. How were they measuring self esteem? How were they analysing psychological health?
Buy the book.

The study contained in it is a peer reviewed journal SPECIFICALLY about porn actresses quoted by several other unbiased websites were your "evidence" comes from an anti porn and prostitution apologist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-damaged-goods

Damaged Goods Hypothesis Debunked? Study Says Porn Stars Have Great Self-Esteem

Porn Stars As 'Damaged Goods' With Sexual Abuse As A Child Is Inaccurate Stereotype, Study Says

Pornography Actresses: Testing the Damaged Goods Hypothesis – Greg Laden's Blog
__________________
I am an experience of the divine.
Reply With Quote
  #405  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:55 AM
Alceste's Avatar
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: All over.
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,026
Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
In any case, here you go

Pornography Actresses: An Assessment of the Damage... [J Sex Res. 2012] - PubMed - NCBI

Extract: In terms of psychological characteristics, porn actresses had higher levels of self-esteem, positive feelings, social support, sexual satisfaction, and spirituality compared to the matched group.

Allso according to the study, the CSA were no higher for porn actresses than for general population of women
At last! Counter-evidence! I don't know why somebody didn't deliver something like this twenty pages ago, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I will look into this and get back to you.
__________________
"We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. One day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring." ~ MLK
Reply With Quote
  #406  
Old 05-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Alceste's Avatar
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: All over.
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,026
Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me Myself View Post
Buy the book.

The study contained in it is a peer reviewed journal SPECIFICALLY about porn actresses quoted by several other unbiased websites were your "evidence" comes from an anti porn and prostitution apologist.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-damaged-goods

Damaged Goods Hypothesis Debunked? Study Says Porn Stars Have Great Self-Esteem

Porn Stars As 'Damaged Goods' With Sexual Abuse As A Child Is Inaccurate Stereotype, Study Says

Pornography Actresses: Testing the Damaged Goods Hypothesis Greg Laden's Blog
Aren't those all references to the same study?
__________________
"We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. One day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring." ~ MLK
Reply With Quote
  #407  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:11 PM
Alceste's Avatar
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: All over.
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,026
Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Default

This criticism seems very reasonable to me.

Reading the Fine Print: Pornography, Damaged Goods and Media Coverage

The sample group represents clients of a single clinic catering exclusively to actors in a legal and reasonably well-regulated industry in a tiny geographical area. One with an unusual proportion of people who desperately want to be movie stars, I would add.

Hardly enough evidence to draw vast general conclusions about all porn everywhere.

Interesting, but not particularly useful.
__________________
"We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. One day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring." ~ MLK
Reply With Quote
  #408  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:28 PM
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
Kilgore Trout Offline
Religion: Misanthropic Humanist
Title:Ascetic Hedonist
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your innovative and exceptional contributions to the forum Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 20,000 posts,  simultaneously achieving both quality and quantity! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,634
Frubals: 4049
Kilgore Trout pulled a groin pushing all these fruals aroundKilgore Trout pulled a groin pushing all these fruals aroundKilgore Trout pulled a groin pushing all these fruals aroundKilgore Trout pulled a groin pushing all these fruals around
Kilgore Trout pulled a groin pushing all these fruals around
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
Awesome. Then we agree!
I would hope that any thinking person would agree that we should help everyone to become more psychologically healthy, as well as do what's possible to reduce the abuse and neglect of children in all forms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
I'd never try to interfere with my friend's prostitution, or even judge her for it. It is a simple fact of life that, like nearly all prostitutes and porn stars (if you, like these other guys, feel the need to insist they are different professions), she was abused as a child. I don't consider prostitution "empowering" for her, and I'm positive she doesn't either. It's just easy money and she'd rather do that than go hungry between normal jobs.
Absolutely. As adults, we all decide what jobs we're willing to do and how much we're willing to work for. It's an unfortunate fact that most of us need to work to survive, but it's simply a fact of life.

Different peoples' baggage, personality, etc. can affect the decisions they make in a variety of ways - and different people will make different decisions, but, at the end of the day, we all have varying degrees and types of experiences and traits, and, in my experience, most people do what actually works for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
Also, if she had better access to mental health services she might not be into it at all.
I've known women who have a history of childhood sexual abuse that have been prostitutes, strippers, cashiers, administrative assistants, housewives, professors, lawyers, and a hedge fund manager. Perhaps one or all of them would have ended up doing something different if the abuse hadn't occurred, or if they had more or earlier access to pyschological/emotional counseling. Perhaps if I hadn't had a rough childhood, I'd be a broadway performer - who knows.
Reply With Quote
  #409  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Alceste's Avatar
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: All over.
Gender: Female
Posts: 26,026
Frubals: 2870
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Alceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this FridayAlceste would like to know if your frubals are busy this Friday
Default

Also, I found the study and there are some major problems with data collection. The porn actresses wee paid and the control group was not. The actresses completed their surveys in private, in a familiar environment with the encouragement and advice if medical professionals they trust. The control population were randomly approached in colleges and airports and filled out their survey in public, wherever they happened to be. The airport group got no compensation and the college students got an extra credit.

I don't see how such a chaotic method of data collection, with so many differences between the actresses and the regular population, could be expected to yield results that inspire confidence.
__________________
"We are called upon to help the discouraged beggars in life's marketplace. One day we must come to see that an edifice which produces beggars needs restructuring." ~ MLK
Reply With Quote
  #410  
Old 05-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Me Myself Offline
Religion: what?
Title:Back to my username
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 amazing posts! 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Guayaquil, Ecuador
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,748
Frubals: 927
Me Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual sizeMe Myself is curious whether these frubals are actual size
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
At last! Counter-evidence! I don't know why somebody didn't deliver something like this twenty pages ago, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. I will look into this and get back to you.
Counter? Yiu have provided no evidence for your point.

You pretend that a study on street prostitution or prostitution in a business where the income comes directly from people paying to get sex and not from people paying to watch others make sex are the same, which is obviously wrong. If you think they are, you know nothing of social research.

While I agree that porn actors are prostitutes, the business is cometely different and a study that doesnt treat them as such is worthless.

Its like comparing people on the streets plang football soccer with strangers on the streets to some major football soccer players plang professionally. Sure, both are players, but the circumstances around them are completely different.

You have no evidence for our claims.

None.
__________________
I am an experience of the divine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:11 AM.


Copyright ReligiousForums.com

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.