Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Scriptural Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Religion: Protestant
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 11
Thorwald Johansen will work for frubals
Default Descendants of Canaan....cursed by God

Does this curse still exist today? Who are these descendants? Should descendants of Shem or Japheth marry the descendants of Canaan, today?
Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 AM
Breathe Online!
Religion: Heaven Worship
Title:Homo Sacer
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your exceptional and original contributions to the forum Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts!! Congrats Carl!! 

Frubals: 1595
Breathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks
Breathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucksBreathe writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks

I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:03 AM
Thesavorofpan Offline
Religion: Passive Christian
Title:Is not going to save you.

Frubals: 26
Thesavorofpan is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorwald Johansen View Post
Does this curse still exist today? Who are these descendants? Should descendants of Shem or Japheth marry the descendants of Canaan, today?
Being such a long time ago we would have no way knowing whose who anymore. You could very well be a descended of Canaan and not know it. Don't fret about it man.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:18 AM
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Prolific Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 316
Pegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decision

im pretty sure Jesus sacrifice covers everyone lol
Old 11-16-2010, 07:34 AM
james2ko Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Theist

Frubals: 60
james2ko thinks frubals grow on treesjames2ko thinks frubals grow on trees

Quote:
I'll attempt to answer this one and perhaps answer the others as time permits.

Originally the sons of Canaan settled in Palestine. Canaan, remember, was the firstborn of IIam. Canaan’s descendant and this includes the other sons of Ham-were to be "servant of servants" ( Gen. 9: 2 5 ) . Their children are to serve both Shem and Japheth (verses 26, 2 7 ) .

There is nothing wrong with serving we all have to learn to serve. Shem and Japheth must become God’s servants,too. That is why Canaan is called a "servant of servants." Many have quoted this in direct reference to the Negro. As brothers of Canaan, the Negroes have shared the same position in life, but Negroes are not Canaanites.The Canaanites were great traffickers of old. The word Canaanite in Zech. 14:21 is, in fact, translated as "trafficker" in the Jewish translation.

The Sidonians, descendants of Canaan, were famous see-men in the days of Solomon. The Greeks called them "Phoenicians." But the Phoenicians called themselves “Kna” or“Knana,” meaning Canaanite. (See Smith’s Bible Dictionary). When Israel entered the land of Palestine under Joshua, whole tribes of the Canaanites were destroyed or driven out of central Palestine (Judges 3: 1-4) because some of the Canaanites were extremely degenerate in their morals.

Notice Gen. 10:18, "Afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad." Where did they journey? The Canaanites settled the island of Malta and parts of Sicily, Southern Italy,Sardinia, North Africa and even Southern Spain and Portugal, where the sons of Javan were already living. (See Ency. Brit., articles, "Malta," "Sicily," "Carth- age," etc.)

Most people are familiar with the Phoenicians from grade and high school days. In North Africa the Canaanites are called Moors a name probably derived from Amors, the Hebrew form of "Amorites." From these lands they have spread into North and South America since the days of Columbus. The Portuguese--of mixed Canaanite and Tarshish stock-have settled much of Brazil. And the Sicilians are thick in big cities in America. The underworld "Mafia" organization which springs from Cnnnanitish Sicily, is but a modern version of their ancient tendency to traffic among the nations of the world.

Canaanites have also intermarried into Esau-Turkey today (Gen. 26: 34), and Judah (Gem 38.2 ) , and Israel (Judges 3:5-7). Only a few Canaanites remain in North Palestine and Lehannn The Canaanites are seldom included in the prophecies which pertain to this twentieth century. They exert no great position or influence in the world. The main body of non-Jewish inhabitants of Palestine today are not Canaanites, but Philistines!
Old 11-16-2010, 03:53 PM
Pegg Offline
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Pegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionPegg tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decision

Just a point to note, Rahab the prostitute is mentioned twice in the NT as an example of faith. She later married an Isrealite and is one of the four women named in Matthew’s genealogy of Jesus. She was an canaanite.

Not so cursed i would say.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegg View Post
Just a point to note, Rahab the prostitute is mentioned twice in the NT as an example of faith. She later married an Isrealite and is one of the four women named in Matthew’s genealogy of Jesus. She was an canaanite.

Not so cursed i would say.
I thought that Matthew's genealogy refers to Joseph, and Luke's genealogy refers to Mary.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:31 PM
Pegg Offline

Quote:
I thought that Matthew's genealogy refers to Joseph, and Luke's genealogy refers to Mary.
Rahab married a man in the Davidic line which is Josephs line, yes?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2ko View Post
I'll attempt to answer this one and perhaps answer the others as time permits.

Originally the sons of Canaan settled in Palestine. Canaan, remember, was the firstborn of IIam. Canaan’s descendant and this includes the other sons of Ham-were to be "servant of servants" ( Gen. 9: 2 5 ) . Their children are to serve both Shem and Japheth (verses 26, 2 7 ) .

There is nothing wrong with serving we all have to learn to serve. Shem and Japheth must become God’s servants,too. That is why Canaan is called a "servant of servants." Many have quoted this in direct reference to the Negro. As brothers of Canaan, the Negroes have shared the same position in life, but Negroes are not Canaanites.The Canaanites were great traffickers of old. The word Canaanite in Zech. 14:21 is, in fact, translated as "trafficker" in the Jewish translation.

The Sidonians, descendants of Canaan, were famous see-men in the days of Solomon. The Greeks called them "Phoenicians." But the Phoenicians called themselves “Kna” or“Knana,” meaning Canaanite. (See Smith’s Bible Dictionary). When Israel entered the land of Palestine under Joshua, whole tribes of the Canaanites were destroyed or driven out of central Palestine (Judges 3: 1-4) because some of the Canaanites were extremely degenerate in their morals.

Notice Gen. 10:18, "Afterward were the families of the Canaanites spread abroad." Where did they journey? The Canaanites settled the island of Malta and parts of Sicily, Southern Italy,Sardinia, North Africa and even Southern Spain and Portugal, where the sons of Javan were already living. (See Ency. Brit., articles, "Malta," "Sicily," "Carth- age," etc.)

Most people are familiar with the Phoenicians from grade and high school days. In North Africa the Canaanites are called Moors a name probably derived from Amors, the Hebrew form of "Amorites." From these lands they have spread into North and South America since the days of Columbus. The Portuguese--of mixed Canaanite and Tarshish stock-have settled much of Brazil. And the Sicilians are thick in big cities in America. The underworld "Mafia" organization which springs from Cnnnanitish Sicily, is but a modern version of their ancient tendency to traffic among the nations of the world.

Canaanites have also intermarried into Esau-Turkey today (Gen. 26: 34), and Judah (Gem 38.2 ) , and Israel (Judges 3:5-7). Only a few Canaanites remain in North Palestine and Lehannn The Canaanites are seldom included in the prophecies which pertain to this twentieth century. They exert no great position or influence in the world. The main body of non-Jewish inhabitants of Palestine today are not Canaanites, but Philistines!
Thanks for the info (You didn't happen to swallow an encyclopedia, did you? ). I was curious, because Abraham did not want Isaac to marry any descendant of Canaan. Because of the slave trade, it is very easy to assume a 'link' to the current day descendants of the British and U.S. slave trade. The barriers seem to be more race related than 'curse of Canaan' related, however.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:25 AM
james2ko Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Theist

Frubals: 60
james2ko thinks frubals grow on treesjames2ko thinks frubals grow on trees

Quote:
Thanks for the info (You didn't happen to swallow an encyclopedia, did you? ).
Just enjoy sharing the "little" knowledge and nuggets of truth God has blessed me with in hope that others will share theirs with me.

Quote:
I was curious, because Abraham did not want Isaac to marry any descendant of Canaan. Because of the slave trade, it is very easy to assume a 'link' to the current day descendants of the British and U.S. slave trade. The barriers seem to be more race related than 'curse of Canaan' related, however.
Although the Israelites invaded the land of Canaan and lived side by side with Canaanites for many years, there is no statement in the Bible that the Canaanites were racially different from Israel, though this has often been assumed. The Bible does not specifically tell us why Abraham did not wish his son Isaac to marry a Canaanite, but the most likely reason was because of religious differences. (The Pentateuch later forbade such marriages because
those of non-Israelite stock would introduce Israel to false religions. See (Deuteronomy 7:3-4).

In other words, Abraham did not want Isaac to marry a woman who would be a worshiper of Canaanite gods. With such practices going on among Isaac 's Canaanite neighbors, it seems likely that his children would be influenced to become involved in pagan religious practices. Thus Abraham was seeking to ensure that his descendants would continue to worship the one true God.