Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Material World / Science and Technology
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2006, 04:41 PM
may Offline
Religion: JW
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 25688
may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
Default Genetically modified food

Genetically Modified Food—Is It Safe for You?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:45 AM
Booko Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by may
Possibly not. And some of it has killed butterflies.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:39 AM
may Offline

may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!may says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

humans think they are so clever, but because of doing things wrong in the first place , they then have to try and find ways to correct their mistakes, which just makes things worse, man really is ruining the earth. that is what i think.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Booko Offline
Religion: Baha'i
Title:Deviled Hen
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1417
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival
Booko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rivalBooko is negotiating a frubal-proliferation treaty with an old rival

Quote:
Originally Posted by may
humans think they are so clever, but because of doing things wrong in the first place , they then have to try and find ways to correct their mistakes, which just makes things worse, man really is ruining the earth. that is what i think.
I just find it interesting that, despite the hunger problems on the continent of Africa, those countries have spoken with one voice and refused to have anything to do with the stuff.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:34 AM
fromthe heart Offline
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 279
fromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it coming

It's a little scary to know that we injest at least one type of genetically modified food a day without knowing...I sort of get sick of being the scientific worlds guinea pig...They don't have to tell you a lot of what is done and that is wrong...but we try as best as we can to go to the original source in our food supply. We get our meat from the farm we trust as well as local veg.and fruit as much as possible...they will tell you if they are using genetically ingineered products as a test product through some government grant. BUT what about eating out...who is responsible for that food...(glad we don't eat out but a couple times a year)

I just don't like the government taking it's citizens for granted.
Old 05-15-2006, 01:44 PM
may Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthe heart
It's a little scary to know that we injest at least one type of genetically modified food a day without knowing...I sort of get sick of being the scientific worlds guinea pig...They don't have to tell you a lot of what is done and that is wrong...but we try as best as we can to go to the original source in our food supply. We get our meat from the farm we trust as well as local veg.and fruit as much as possible...they will tell you if they are using genetically ingineered products as a test product through some government grant. BUT what about eating out...who is responsible for that food...(glad we don't eat out but a couple times a year)

I just don't like the government taking it's citizens for granted.
yes i try to eat organic if i can , but we are living in this world and sometime we dont know what we are eating , not only are humans ruining the earth , they are ruining themselves as well, still , it gives me some hope to think that the bible tells me that ............God is going to bring to ruin those ruining the earth............. revelation 18;11
I well know, O Jehovah, that to earthling man his way does not belong. It does not belong to man who is walking even to direct his step. Jeremiah 10;23........ yes Humans think they have all the answers ,but they were not created to rule themselves independant of God , it is all trial and error.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Ramacharaka Offline
Religion: unitarian sikh
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 672
Ramacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quicklyRamacharaka constantly complains that newbies these days get frubals way too quickly

they could grow a tomato as big as an entire room in the late 90's...i have seen many variations of tomatos as big as a baseball to mini cherry tomatos, so this is a natural occurance... If you modify the right thing it should be no problem as this involves SCIENCE. There would be no starving people.

I think the only real debate over this was over cancer being caused by a genetic mutation, whereas synthetic fertilizer/cattle feed and blackened bits of char actually possess carcinogenic qualities...a carefully modified thing, where they specifically modified a physical characteristic on a plant at least, holds absolutly no danger. I simply can't wait for that new era...and neither can the starving people. If there is a debate on sending them the modified food, I would gladly send my standard food their way in preferance of the vegetable steaks. yum!
Old 05-15-2006, 07:12 PM
Jaiket Offline
Religion: Chasing a leather ball
Title:Servile Apologist

Frubals: 675
Jaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomJaiket keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroom

There is some anti-science content amongst the opposition to GM, and there are people who are frightened by tinkering with genetics because they don't undertsand it. However, some of the hysteria seems well founded unfortunately.

The issue of pesticide overloading in resistant crops is worrying. Pesticides are chemicals designed to kill things, and our biochemistry isn't that different from the targeted organism's when you get down to it. It can also result in dramatic culls in wildlife in the region that are not a threat to the crop, and are, of course, vital in the ecosystem.

There is also the concern that biotech firms engineer their seed to work only in conjuction with a patented chemical substrate. Without it the crop fails...no-one eats without pappa Monsanto's say so.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:13 AM
fromthe heart Offline
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 279
fromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it comingfromthe heart slapped your frubals upside the head and said they had it coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramacharaka

I think the only real debate over this was over cancer being caused by a genetic mutation, whereas synthetic fertilizer/cattle feed and blackened bits of char actually possess carcinogenic qualities...a carefully modified thing, where they specifically modified a physical characteristic on a plant at least, holds absolutly no danger. I simply can't wait for that new era...and neither can the starving people. If there is a debate on sending them the modified food, I would gladly send my standard food their way in preferance of the vegetable steaks. yum!
Actually it's NOT just a cancer issue...and I do agree that it would be great to be able to feed the hungry...but with all the glutons in the world we could feed them if everyone would just eat what their bodies needed instead of gorging themselves sinfully...Our stomachs only hold about the size of our 2 hands cupped...eating in excess is bad for you...also eating fast is bad for you as well, it doesn't give your stomach time to signal your brain that it is full if you eat rapidly.

The genetically altered foods are actually causing harm as well as some of the crops aren't reproducing the sort of nutritionally balanced foods that they were in originality. They have been fooling around with foods since man went to the moon..now though the results are getting so mixed that they are putting so much money into it that we could BE feeding the hungry with those funds. I know with all sorts of experimenting comes failure as well as sucesses but why fool around with so many different foods that we don't know WHAT to eat and what's been done to it...not only does it cause cancer as was suggested it's also causing chemical changes once injested...corn products was one of the first I remember hearing about that looked ok, tasted ok but when injested gave humans bad cases of GI blues...they ended up recalling the products (and it really effected Taco Bell as a business for one example)...they don't have enough ways to see long term on most things without making people experimantal subjects to see years from now what cause and effect they got...I feel it's just wrong to mess with things when we consume it and the chemical reaction...more and more people than ever have allergies to food products now than there ever was...I just feel if they would put more effort in paying the farmers a decent wage to raise the products needed for the people we'd all be healthier and live longer. It's just not going to be what they want it to be.

Last edited by fromthe heart; 05-17-2006 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-17-2006, 10:57 AM
jeffrey Offline
Religion: ♥Rebeccaism
Title:†ßig Dog†
Great Suggestion Award:  - Issue reason: For Amber Alert suggestion 

Frubals: 1041
jeffrey invents imaginary friends and hounds them for frubals
jeffrey invents imaginary friends and hounds them for frubals

I don't have a problem with it. As previously stated, nature mutates itself at times. Take the Red Delicious Apple. You take a seed from a red delicious and it will not grow into a red delicious apple. The 1st was a genitic fluke. And the only way to grow them is by splicing a limb from a R.D. into, usually a crab apple tree. And remember, they used to say "If man was meant to fly...."