Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Material World / Science and Technology
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
evearael Offline
Title:Theist
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 765
evearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too smallevearael wishes to be buried with all these frubals, but the casket is too small
Default Best Science Project By A Kid... Ever!

http://www.wired.com/news/technology...?tw=wn_index_2

A 16 year old "used magnetic bacteria to produce an electrical current."

What science projects did you do as a child?
Old 05-12-2006, 08:44 AM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2754
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by evearael
http://www.wired.com/news/technology...?tw=wn_index_2

A 16 year old "used magnetic bacteria to produce an electrical current."

Pretty impressive stuff!

Science ? Moi ?......I don't think we did science at school; oh, hang on, I think someone invented the wheel.....................

The only science I can truly say I remember doing in the lab was at boarding school; someone told me that is you let Butane gas buble througgh milk, you would end up with something pretty potent.

I did'nt try it, but it is the only thing I remember!
Old 05-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Green Gaia Offline
Religion: Unitarian Universalist
Title:Venturesome Member
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Member of the Month Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This ambassador award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1961
Green Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time
Green Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a timeGreen Gaia keeps a stiff upper lip, a stiff wig, and gets through the day one frubal at a time

I studied the effects of different kinds of light on plants; which grew better in what light. I think that was in 6th grade. I don't remember the results.
by men in their own image,
to be servants of their human interests.
- George Santayana

Old 05-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Krie Offline
Religion: in questioning myself.
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 2041
Krie admitted liking the 'Frubals From Around the World' collection of cheesy stuffed toysKrie admitted liking the 'Frubals From Around the World' collection of cheesy stuffed toys
Krie admitted liking the 'Frubals From Around the World' collection of cheesy stuffed toys

dang... i never even did mine... I was too lazy. i bet that kid's parents helped him and if not he very would be very likely to be the person to find a cure for cancer or start an apocolipse like in resedent evil. you never know. It depends on how he uses his mind.
Old 05-12-2006, 09:33 AM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: The Way of Beer
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 6976
Sunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealing
Sunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealing

Quote:
Originally Posted by evearael
My school didn't participate in science fairs, and we were given no information on them. I was in college before I even heard of such things as science fairs for primary and secondary education kids.

Nevertheless, I had a basement chemistry and electricity lab as a kid. Eventually, the main product of the lab became gunpowder and research into various kinds of fuses and detonation mechanisms. Nitro was dreamed of, but proved beyond the lab's funding and capablities. The lab's products were used, mainly around Holloween, by a covert organization of young boys and girls that called itself, "Trick Incorporated". The aquisition of candy was not the goal of Trick Incorporated. The rattling of certain (not all) teacher's nerves was the decided upon goal.

One year, in the town newspaper, we were delghted to read that the police chief of the small town we all lived in had become alarmed at the "rising rates of juvenile delinquency around Holloween", and "the frequent explosions", and had laid on hastily deputized help. But it seems no one figured out Trick Incorporated was using delayed fuses that allowed its members to be long gone before the fireworks began.

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 05-12-2006, 09:55 AM
michel Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Administrator Emeritus
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers for your work on the newsletter and is well deserved. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 2754
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax
michel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal taxmichel was audited for avoidance of the frubal tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunstone
My school didn't participate in science fairs, and we were given no information on them. I was in college before I even heard of such things as science fairs for primary and secondary education kids.

Nevertheless, I had a basement chemistry and electricity lab as a kid. Eventually, the main product of the lab became gunpowder and research into various kinds of fuses and detonation mechanisms. Nitro was dreamed of, but proved beyond the lab's funding and capablities. The lab's products were used, mainly around Holloween, by a covert organization of young boys and girls that called itself, "Trick Incorporated". The aquisition of candy was not the goal of Trick Incorporated. The rattling of certain (not all) teacher's nerves was the decided upon goal.

One year, in the town newspaper, we were delghted to read that the police chief of the small town we all lived in had become alarmed at the "rising rates of juvenile delinquency around Holloween", and "the frequent explosions", and had laid on hastily deputized help. But it seems no one figured out Trick Incorporated was using delayed fuses that allowed its members to be long gone before the fireworks began.
Actually, You have reminded me of a project I took on when I was sixteen or so, in the Garden shed.

AND NO,it wasn't that sort of project! How dare you think such a thing; you should be ashamed......................

I was ineterested in Electronics (yes, we had Transistors), but they were very new, and we all thought it was much better to stick to valves (apart from anything they kept you a damn site warmer in the Garden shed!

I had an electronics magazine in which there was a diagram for a small low powered transmitter. I went out and bought all the part I needed, and set to making this thing work.

It was a bit hit and miss, because the 'tuning pots' (you know those things with a farrite rod in them that you can adjust, and they are surrounded by a coil); well, for one, the coil was handwound, by yours truly (I wa cutting corners to keep the cost withing the range of my pocket money).

Anyway, I digress. I had this weird looking construction (and not on a chassis either 9just sort of "Hanging in the air", when I decided to try it.

Of course, the main problem was "On which wavelength am I transmitting?".........so I had a radio beside me, and I manually scanned the airways while at the same time shouting "Hello, Hello, can you hear me!" down the mike. Not a peep out ofg the radio.

But I thought I could hear my father shouting. puzzled, I went outside, to find him leaning out of the lounge window asking why the television screen was going completely blank, and why could he hear me saying "Hello, Hello"

Of course, i dismantled the thing (I would have needed to pass an exam , and have a licence), but, during the next week, the road was suddenly full of telephone company vans, with little guys at the top of all the telephone poles........they were there for ages....................
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Sunstone Offline
Religion: The Way of Beer
Title:De Diablo Del Fora
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Link Exchange project Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: That's enough to fill a book! Congratulations! 

Frubals: 6976
Sunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealing
Sunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealingSunstone thinks those see-through frubals a a little too revealing

ROLF! Michel, I've always known you must have had a checkered past! No one with your able, questing mind could possibly grow up entirely innocent of mischief! I can imagine the telephone vans, and the frustration of the techs! LMAO!

Certainty is a mind killer -- Debater Slayer

The most precious thing in life is its uncertainty. -- Kenko

It has always surprised me how little attention philosophers have paid to humor, since it is a more significant process of mind than reason. Reason can only sort out perceptions, but the humor process is involved in changing them. -- Edward de Bono
Old 05-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: per aspera ad inferi
Title:Ghoul
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1116
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Well, my own science projects were making "special effects explosions." And since I was in AP chemistry, and TV production, I got to take the ingredients to school, mix them and store them in the chemistry room, and take them to the TV class to use for a stock-motion film I was making. Had a Ringwraith throw a ball that was about half the size of a paintball, and when it hit the ground, it blew up a few green army men.
Everything is getting worse.
Your money is worthless.
No one is properly dressed.
The system is rigged.
All teachers are incompetent.
There are people who really dislike you.
Nothing is as good as it seems.
Things don't last.
No one is paying attention.
The country is dying.
God doesn't care.

Old 05-12-2006, 10:12 PM
lunamoth Offline
Religion: Will to Love
Title:Episcopalian
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1540
lunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a question
lunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a questionlunamoth gets a kick out of saying, 'Who's your frubal??' after answering a question

I detect a theme here: guys like to blow things up. I'm sure that the kid with the magnetic bacteria only did this because he knows that somewhere down the line of research he will be able to make them explode.

lunamoth

As long as we are here, let's dance.

Old 05-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: per aspera ad inferi
Title:Ghoul
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1116
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Quote:
I detect a theme here: guys like to blow things up.
I'm a pyromaniac that likes blowing things up and cathing things on fire. Theres nothing wrong with that is thier? And then thier are dry ice bombs. Those are fun.
Everything is getting worse.
Your money is worthless.
No one is properly dressed.
The system is rigged.
All teachers are incompetent.
There are people who really dislike you.
Nothing is as good as it seems.
Things don't last.
No one is paying attention.
The country is dying.
God doesn't care.