Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Everything But the Kitchen Sink / The Material World / Science and Technology
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2006, 03:56 PM
Fluffy Offline
Religion: Transhumanism
Title:A fool
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This Scolarship award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason: The Courtesy award has been granted to you by the awards committee and is well deserved. 

Frubals: 1040
Fluffy invents imaginary friends and hounds them for frubals
Fluffy invents imaginary friends and hounds them for frubals
Default Gaps in Evolution

I often here these so-called gaps in modern evolution theory, both in accusations from creationists and being played down by evolutionists. What kind of gaps are being referred to here? I would ideally like to look at something from a scientific point of view and not an intelligent design site since the latter tend to pick holes where there are none.

Also how exactly has evolutionary theory evolved (no pun intended) since Darwin?
Old 05-18-2006, 03:35 PM
niceguy Offline
Religion: don't know
Title:Sophomore Member

Frubals: 46
niceguy yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

The creationists are trying to put GOD into those gaps. What it's about are nothing but a lack of knowlege in some areas. Those remaning gaps are closing rapidly with each new scientific discovery. Science are about the quest for knowlege, it all right to NOT have an answer, as long as we keep looking for them.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:05 AM
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 

Frubals: 1975
Seyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity parties
Seyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity partiesSeyorni suspects that frubals might be the active ingredient in those delicious brownies at the fraternity parties

Creationists seem to think that if there aren't hundreds of fossils showing a clear and gradual progression from one species to another then the fossil record does not support evolution theory.
It's not that easy for an organism to fossilize, nor is it easy to find a fossil when they do, nor is all evolution gradual. There were no doubt many creatures we'll never find any evidence of.

There will always be "gaps." When a transitional form is found it creates two gaps when previously there was one (think about it). The magical creation croud will never run out of gaps with which to denounce biological change.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Quiddity Offline
Religion: Catholic
Title:UndertheInfluenceofGiants
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by the award committee and is well deserved. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10000 posts 

Frubals: 1249
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection
Quiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collectionQuiddity bores visitors with stories and photographs of this vast frubal collection

I can give you one example that interest me in school. The transition between eukaryotes and prokaryotes cells. Considered to be the most profound change in evolution by my professor (and perhaps most biologists). Would you consider this a gap?
Old 05-19-2006, 04:10 PM
finalfrogo Offline
Religion: Neutralism
Title:Senior Member

Frubals: 135
finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.finalfrogo is a ship on a sea of frubals.  Like the Titanic, only not sunk yet.

I once said on a thread, "I know there are various gaps in evolution," (although I'm an evolutionist). Then, somebody replied me, "such as...?" Suddenly, I realized that I couldn't think of any. Most so-called "gaps" are the result of little advanced understanding of the theory. However, there are probably a few gaps that I haven't been informed of. The point is that it's the most reliable theory out there. Until a better one is proposed, I will accept the current!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Buttercup Offline
Title:Caution:Feral Chimp Ahead
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 2277
Buttercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubalButtercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubal
Buttercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubalButtercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubalButtercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubalButtercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubalButtercup wonders why you would EVER question a frubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy
I often here these so-called gaps in modern evolution theory, both in accusations from creationists and being played down by evolutionists. What kind of gaps are being referred to here? I would ideally like to look at something from a scientific point of view and not an intelligent design site since the latter tend to pick holes where there are none.
I think until the entire evolutionary chain from the very first cell until the completion of modern man is proven...there will be detractors of evolution. Just like atheists say..."prove God and I'll believe." Creationists say...."show me the evolutionary evidence from start to finish and MAYBE I'll believe there is no God." But, I think even given the evidence, some of us would still chose to believe in a Supreme Being. That God set the wheels in motion in the first place.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:04 PM
painted wolf Offline
Religion: Native American
Title:Grey Muzzle
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason: For the knowledge, research and effort you put into your posts. Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1673
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger
painted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much largerpainted wolf thinks your frubals are cute as buttons, only much larger

Evoltuionary theory has evolved bunches in its time.
From strait lines to bushes, Purpose driven to randomness, the whole concept of 'superiority' and so on.

Genetics gave Evolution a big boost and change... discovery of DNA did it again.

I'll have to look for a good online source for the evolution of evolutionary theory for you.

wa:do