Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Science and Religion
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2010, 10:56 AM
PolyHedral Offline
Religion: Meow's socks
Title:Superabacus Mystic
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 332
PolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more aroused

Quote:
If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one."
No. This is not only very likely false, but also ludicrously offensive. Imagine if every amputee in the world was cured overnight. Not only have you increased the quality of life for tens of millions, (since losing a limb is rightly considered a disability) hundreds of millions of dollars of support for those people are no longer needed, and so can be used for far better causes.

Quote:
Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children.
Because God claims to be loving.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:11 PM
futureplanet Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 14
futureplanet will work for frubals
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereismynotecard View Post
An organism has to be the right species and have the right disease in order to be miraculously cured. You see, God is a lot like a doctor and a vet. Some things about cats, he can fix, but some things he can't, but he can fix those things in humans, but not always. He can do miracles, but not all of the miracles. Only some of them.
You see, god is not ALL POWERFUL, but semi-powerful. He can only do miracles on things that could have been done naturally anyway. This way, you can't actually tell if it is a miracle (god's work), or just nature. So, this lets all-powerful god....sorry...semi-powerful god to stay hidden, invisible, mysteriouis and without evidence. So we are forced to have faith to know he exists.

If he healed amputees, then that would be evidence of miracles (real miracles), and that goes against God's wish to be hidden. He is very shy you see.
Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: per aspera ad inferi
Title:Ghoul
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1116
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Well, if there is a God then this entity obviously didn't think that human amputees should be healed or we would have been designed to be able to regenerate lost limbs. Just because God is of a supernatural/metaphysical nature doesn't mean that God won't have to manipulate the physical elements that cause something to happen. For example amputees. God couldn't just magically make a new arm appear. It would be impossible. However if God wanted it to happen, then he would have had to have designed us with the appropriate genetic code that would allow for it.
Everything is getting worse.
Your money is worthless.
No one is properly dressed.
The system is rigged.
All teachers are incompetent.
There are people who really dislike you.
Nothing is as good as it seems.
Things don't last.
No one is paying attention.
The country is dying.
God doesn't care.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:07 AM
Jeremiah Offline
Religion: Cowintology
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 311
Jeremiah is a compulsive frubal lickerJeremiah is a compulsive frubal lickerJeremiah is a compulsive frubal lickerJeremiah is a compulsive frubal lickerJeremiah is a compulsive frubal lickerJeremiah is a compulsive frubal licker

Quote:
Originally Posted by magalexa View Post
People expect too much of god, believing in him doesnt matter as much as what we do. We have freewill on earth, yes god has his freewill and so does what he wants. If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one." If he did fix those things we would expect him to do lots of other stuff for us.
We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.
Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children.

"We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.
Why should god cure ourselves? We as a species did nothing but harm his workers and believers, his people and his animals, his planet and his children."

Maybe God came down and set the record straight, people would stop fighting over which religion is correct.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:21 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2976
9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals
9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by magalexa View Post
People expect too much of god, believing in him doesnt matter as much as what we do. We have freewill on earth, yes god has his freewill and so does what he wants. If god did cure amputees life would become less valuable, such as "oh its OK cause i can get another leg if i destroy this one." If he did fix those things we would expect him to do lots of other stuff for us.
We have our lives and he has his, beliefs dont matter to god as much as what we do, so he only goes out of way to prove himself to us every now and then and when he does we usually kill his workers. Buddha stoned to death by the Hindu hierarchy, Jesus tortured and executed, Joan of arc burnt at the stake, Mohammad poisoned to death, millions of spiritual women, children and men burnt alive by the European hierarchy, invasions in the name of god by govts.
That's all fine and good, but this rationale applies equally to things like curing cancer and making the blind see (i.e. the sorts of healing that god(s) are traditionally given credit for). I take it you don't believe that God does these things either, right?

The question of why God doesn't heal amputees only becomes an issue when we try to reconcile it with the idea of God going around healing other ailments.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals
9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals9-10ths_Penguin thinks that whistling sound may be from a crack somewhere in your frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by idea View Post
because ppl like this:

YouTube - Get Back Up, Nick Vujicic

are inspirational.
Funny you mention that, because one of the most inspirational presentations I've ever seen was Dean Kamen's TED Talk on his experience trying to give amputees new arms:

TED Blog | The emotion behind invention: Dean Kamen on TED.com

The god who says that it's better for amputees to go limbless is a god who implicitly says that this work of Kamen's is worthless. And the god who can't figure out how to inspire people without amputations is a god who's less creative than I am.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:20 AM
PolyHedral Offline
Religion: Meow's socks
Title:Superabacus Mystic
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 332
PolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more aroused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Wolf View Post
However if God wanted it to happen, then he would have had to have designed us with the appropriate genetic code that would allow for it.
Or just induce stem cell regeneration, which is far easier. How do I know it's easier? Because we've done it. (albeit not on entire limbs, but on smaller parts) Apparently, God has some catching up to do.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyHedral View Post
Or just induce stem cell regeneration, which is far easier. How do I know it's easier? Because we've done it. (albeit not on entire limbs, but on smaller parts) Apparently, God has some catching up to do.
Prophecy: right around the time that human beings develop the ability to re-grow limbs from stem cells, God will change his mind about amputees: he'll start liking them enough to help them (only he'll help them them through the doctors who do limb regeneration) and will no longer find their on-stage performances inspiring enough to make them live their lives without legs.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:35 AM
Meow Mix Offline
Religion: Secular Humanism
Title:Sassypants Kitty

Frubals: 761
Meow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstickMeow Mix likes frubal hugs almost as much as squishy hugs from Aunt Marge with the lipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-10ths_Penguin View Post
Prophecy: right around the time that human beings develop the ability to re-grow limbs from stem cells, God will change his mind about amputees: he'll start liking them enough to help them (only he'll help them them through the doctors who do limb regeneration) and will no longer find their on-stage performances inspiring enough to make them live their lives without legs.
Oh I guarantee there will be at least one interview by some local station somewhere where the person says:

"The operation should have gone all wrong, but it was a miracle... God was with me"

or something like that.

Why do people thank God for cancer remissions without asking why they got cancer in the first place?

Warming themselves by the ashes and the embers of martyrs, martyrs that they never understood

They will be lost.
Buried in the sands of time,
Relics disgraced from an era forgotten.
Far too consumed by the allure of wealth to be concerned for the backs on which they stood

The weak and broken, the castaways out in the cold
They will be left abandoned by those who claim to care

Those who stand proudly on the wrong side of history:
Mark my words -- your time will come.

The heartless will be the sick and the dying
Left with nowhere to turn

I hope I have the strength to help them in their time of need,
To forgive them, though I know they never would have done the same."

(Misery Signals, "Lost Relics")
Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Shadow Wolf Offline
Religion: per aspera ad inferi
Title:Ghoul
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your constant and valuable contributions to the forum through the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1116
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Shadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morningShadow Wolf promises to still respect your frubals in the morning

Quote:
I wouldn't call it catching. If you look at it from the perspective that God created us, then we were created with astounding intelligence and physical abilities (such as our thumbs) to act on it. With this intelligence, we can take things further than what we were designed for.
Everything is getting worse.
Your money is worthless.
No one is properly dressed.
The system is rigged.
All teachers are incompetent.
There are people who really dislike you.
Nothing is as good as it seems.
Things don't last.
No one is paying attention.
The country is dying.
God doesn't care.