Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Same Faith Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Religion: Gone with the wind
Title:Rockerjahili Rebel
Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your work as part of the staff. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For posting prolifically :D 

Frubals: 1067
England my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghosts
England my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghostsEngland my lionheart worries that dead frubals might have ghosts

Well i think anything that is written by men should be taken with a pinch of salt but if it makes you happy so what.As stated by others ,the tablets of gold guatemala and stuff it is hard to take in but mormons seem ok to me but the faith not for me.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:48 AM
Bishka Offline
Religion: Christian - LDS
Title:BANNED
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: This was given to you by your peers based on the numerous, quality thread you have created. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: This was given to your for the milestone of reaching 10,000 posts. 

Frubals: 855920
Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!Bishka says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by England my lionheart View Post
,the tablets of gold guatemala and stuff it is hard to take in but mormons seem ok to me but the faith not for me.
Do you have any clue what you are talking about? It's obvious that you have very little, if any knowledge of the LDS Church and our theology/beliefs.
Old 12-03-2007, 11:54 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Online!
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3092
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysoup61 View Post
Do you have any clue what you are talking about? It's obvious that you have very little, if any knowledge of the LDS Church and our theology/beliefs.
Either that or his knowledge of the LDS Church is belied by his lack of knowledge of punctuation. That quote makes a bit more sense if you insert a comma before "guatemala".
Old 12-03-2007, 12:17 PM
sojourner Offline
Title:Shameless Frubal Hound
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award was given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions to the forum over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 1591
sojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks
sojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks

Quote:
do you think God can not speak forth his words according to his own please? do you not think he would remember one nation like unto another?
I think God can speak through the BOM. I think God does, in fact, speak through the BOM to a great number of people. I choose to not use that route to lead me to God. It's a choice. I choose to weigh the BOM as less revelatory and authoritative for me than the Canonical scriptures. You are free to do as you wish for yourself, and I respect that.

The question was asked, "why don't I accept the BOM as valid?" My answer is that it is extra-canonical. That may not be much of an answer, as far as you're concerned, but that's my answer.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Scuba Pete Offline
Religion: Tolerance
Title:Victim of Intolerance
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Prolific Poster Award 

Frubals: 3
Scuba Pete is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by England my lionheart View Post
Well i think anything that is written by men should be taken with a pinch of salt
Or perhaps the entire shaker!

Hate wrapped in prayer or a sermon is still hate.

All you need is LOVE!
Old 12-04-2007, 09:13 AM
madhatter85 Offline
Religion: Latter-day Saint
Title:Transhumanist

Frubals: 154
madhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I think God can speak through the BOM. I think God does, in fact, speak through the BOM to a great number of people. I choose to not use that route to lead me to God. It's a choice. I choose to weigh the BOM as less revelatory and authoritative for me than the Canonical scriptures. You are free to do as you wish for yourself, and I respect that.

The question was asked, "why don't I accept the BOM as valid?" My answer is that it is extra-canonical. That may not be much of an answer, as far as you're concerned, but that's my answer.
If you really believed that God speaks through the bible, why woudl you choose not to listen to it?
The great religious leaders of the world such as Mohammed, Confucius, the Reformers, as well as philosophers including Socrates, Plato, and others, received a portion of God’s light. Moral truths were given to them by God to enlighten...nations and to bring...understanding to individuals
Old 12-04-2007, 10:27 AM
sojourner Offline
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: This award was given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: This award had been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions to the forum over the years. Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason:  

sojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty truckssojourner writes 'frubal me' in the dust on dirty trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter85 View Post
If you really believed that God speaks through the bible, why woudl you choose not to listen to it?
I was speaking of the BOM, not the Bible. However, to answer your question, I believe God can and does speak through all kinds of things -- including people. But "all kinds of things" aren't all the canonical scriptures. I choose not to listen to some of it, because I don't think some of it particularly has anything to say to me.
Old 12-04-2007, 11:31 AM
madhatter85 Offline
Religion: Latter-day Saint
Title:Transhumanist

Frubals: 154
madhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationmadhatter85 tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation

Quote:
I was speaking of the BOM, not the Bible. However, to answer your question, I believe God can and does speak through all kinds of things -- including people. But "all kinds of things" aren't all the canonical scriptures. I choose not to listen to some of it, because I don't think some of it particularly has anything to say to me.
so you think God is a respector of persons and that only certain rules apply to only certain flavors of faiths?
The great religious leaders of the world such as Mohammed, Confucius, the Reformers, as well as philosophers including Socrates, Plato, and others, received a portion of God’s light. Moral truths were given to them by God to enlighten...nations and to bring...understanding to individuals
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
9-10ths_Penguin Online!
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3092
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:
But I don't see how that makes sense given the definition and explanation for "canon" that you gave before.

If canon is just that which was most reflective of the beliefs of the people who set it, at the time they set it - and nothing else - then why would the canonical status matter when deciding whether something is valid?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:07 PM
sojourner Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhatter85 View Post
so you think God is a respector of persons and that only certain rules apply to only certain flavors of faiths?
I don't think God is legalistic. I think people are legalistic, and the rules set by the religion are tools for people, not tools for God. Some find God one way, some another.