Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates / Same Faith Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 08:59 PM
religion99 Offline
Religion: Jainism (Digambara)
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 28
religion99 is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals
Default Atheist: Vegetarian Atheists

I believe Jainism is very similar to Veg Atheists.
1. Both have arrived at the conclusion that there is no God who created
The World.
2. Both practise REAL compassion to all the living beings , including
Animals.

Just wondering if Veggy Atheists have ever considered Jainism
or discarded it due to
1 lack of information.
2. too small to consider.
3. Too hard to follow.
4. Analysed and discarded due to a conflict in belief.

In indian system of religion classification , Jainism is classified
As Atheist System.

Last edited by religion99; 01-26-2012 at 09:05 PM..
Old 01-27-2012, 07:27 AM
Vinayaka Offline
Religion: Saiva Hindu
Title:devotee
Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason: For being an excellent representative of your faith Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Vinayaka ! 

Frubals: 850
Vinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal messageVinayaka makes an effort to use the word 'tuba' in every frubal message

Quote:
Originally Posted by religion99 View Post
The World.
That could be, but the vegetarian atheists certainly wouldn't recognise it, as most atheists (at least in my experience) don't care enough about religion to really study it out. My son is a vegetarian atheist and he's never heard of Jainism.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
lunakilo Offline
Religion: between religions
Title:Uber Member

Frubals: 163
lunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tublunakilo isn't quite sure why frubals always leave a ring in the tub

Quote:
The World.
Animals.

or discarded it due to
1 lack of information.
3. Too hard to follow.

As Atheist System.
My guess is that atheists who are vegetarian did not become vegetarian because they wanted to find a religion/philosophy that incorporates being a vegetarian.
So they are probably not any more (or any less) interested in Jainism that in any other religion.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
Splarnst Offline
Religion: Secular
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 49
Splarnst yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

Quote:
2. Both practise REAL compassion to all the living beings, including Animals.
No, not necessarily. Just because you don't eat meat doesn't you're always compassionate to animals. Vegetarians can wear leather or beat their dogs.

Quote:
In indian system of religion classification , Jainism is classified As Atheist System.
It's atheist, but it's not naturalist. There are still supernatural souls, reincarnation, karma, etc. Unless I see some evidence of such things, then I'm not interested in Jainism.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:01 AM
Seyorni Offline
Religion: Vedanta
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Fot 10,000 posts. Congrats Sey! 

Frubals: 2009
Seyorni is a hit at kids' parties with 'pin the tail on the frubal'Seyorni is a hit at kids' parties with 'pin the tail on the frubal'
Seyorni is a hit at kids' parties with 'pin the tail on the frubal'

"both arrived at the conclusion that there is no God?"

When did atheists arrive at that conclusion?
Strong atheists maybe, but not your basic, weak atheists.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:37 PM
religion99 Offline
Religion: Jainism (Digambara)
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 28
religion99 is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splarnst View Post
No, not necessarily. Just because you don't eat meat doesn't you're always compassionate to animals. Vegetarians can wear leather or beat their dogs.

It's atheist, but it's not naturalist. There are still supernatural souls, reincarnation, karma, etc. Unless I see some evidence of such things, then I'm not interested in Jainism.

Hi Splarnst,

I looked at your blog. I am impressed. Clearly , you have done a lot of investigation in all kind of things in life and come to your current conclusion.

Can you define precisely two words you mentioned in you reply so that I understand where you come from:

1. Supernatural
2. Evidence

Looking forward to the reply.

Thanks
Old 01-28-2012, 05:19 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Religion: Stoicism (Esoteric)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

Frubals: 751
The Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splarnst View Post
They can, but I doubt many, if any do.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
"At death, there is no "return to God," for we never stop being of him."
The Sum of Awe
Old 01-28-2012, 05:21 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 

The Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked outThe Sum of Awe had to use emergency backup frubals when the primary frubals conked out

Quote:
The World.
Animals.
Yes, but there are no souls or reincarnation, as Splarnst said.

Quote:
or discarded it due to
1 lack of information.
3. Too hard to follow.

As Atheist System.
It's far too spiritual, dharmic, moral-focused, and earth-centre for me. Also, I think many would consider Jainism atheistic, being that atheism is a theological view that may pertain to a religion, and being that Jainism doesn't believe in Gods, it is thereby atheistic.

An atheist doesn't have to believe in evolution, can believe in an afterlife, can believe in unicorns, can even believe the Sun has a big ol' smiley face and talks to us. Just can't believe in God, if they do they are no longer an atheist.

The Sum of Awe
Old 01-28-2012, 05:28 PM
The Sum of Awe Offline

Actually, a lot of famous atheists are vegetarians or at least have symphony to the animal rights idea, so just take a man like Richard Dawkins or Charles Darwin and compare them to a 'hardcore' Jain

The Sum of Awe
Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 AM
Splarnst Offline
Religion: Secular
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 49
Splarnst yanked your frubals the wedgie of their lives last night, so they may be a little limpy

@Religion 99

The best definition of supernatural that I have seen is “mental things which cannot be reduced to nonmental things,” but it requires some explanation.

I don't have a strict definition of evidence. Really, it's anything that makes a proposition more likely to be true. I prefer evidence accessible to everyone (i.e., not subjective experience [mysticism] or perception [aesthetics]) because I think it's stronger, but I'll take what I can get.