Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Resources / Religious News
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Faxecura Offline
Religion: Trad. Catholic
Title:BANNED

Frubals: 16
Faxecura gives frubals to the homeless
Default Prominent American university attempts to squash religious freedom

Debate Over Religious Freedom Comes to a Head at Vanderbilt - FIRE

Quote:
This evening, Vanderbilt University will hold a town hall “discussion” about its new nondiscrimination policy that prevents belief-based student groups from making belief-based decisions about their leadership. Vanderbilt effectively is discriminating against political and religious groups that seek to promote a common message.

so far, Vanderbilt has ignored the concerns of FIRE; the Christian Legal Society; the Roman Catholic Bishop of Nashville; the American Center for Law and Justice; more than half a dozen law professors; leaders of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, the National Association of Evangelicals, and the Southern Baptist Convention; and no fewer than 23 members of the U.S. Congress, all of whom had the same or similar objections to the policy. Vanderbilt's response on these substantive questions? Silence.

Students and alumni have been galvanized to action. A group called Restore Religious Freedom at Vanderbilt has formed to oppose the new policy, and is even running radio ads in Nashville opposing the change. The Vanderbilt College Republicans have joined them and have produced a video featuring students who oppose the new policy.
Perspective from a student at Vanderbilt: #WeAreVanderbiltToo

Quote:
I like nondiscrimination. I like openness and diversity. What I don’t like, though, is what this policy is asking religious organizations to do.

In the words of Dean Bandas, a “group must sign a form affirming they will comply with university policies, which require that membership in registered student organizations be open to everyone and that everyone who desires to do so has the opportunity to seek leadership positions in those organizations.”

By signing on the dotted line, a religious organization is saying that it will not discriminate based on religious beliefs when making leadership decisions.
Local Media Coverage: Vanderbilt defends nondiscrimination policy for student groups | The Tennessean | tennessean.com
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 AM
Pegg Offline
Religion: Jehovah's Witness
Title:Hallowed Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! 

Frubals: 382
Pegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubalsPegg suggests that you not swim for half an hour after receiving frubals

doesnt Americas constitution uphold religious freedom?
Old 02-02-2012, 06:18 AM
Heathen Hammer Offline
Religion: Odinsman
Title:Nope, you're still wrong

Frubals: 194
Heathen Hammer thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloHeathen Hammer thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloHeathen Hammer thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloHeathen Hammer thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

It's a private institution, and can set its own bylaws.

Exactly the same way the Cub Scouts can discriminate against gay members, if they so chose.
till I die, till I die.

I am the author of the Spiderman Fallacy [believe it, or not].
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 AM
Kathryn Offline
Religion: Liturgical Christian
Title:Most Spoiled Woman Ever
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching 10,000 posts. Congrats Kathryn 

Frubals: 1617
Kathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubals
Kathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubals

I agree with Heathen Hammer. Private institutions should be allowed to be as stupid as they want to be when it comes to bylaws - within the limits of the law.

Note to the religious - spend your tuition money elsewhere if Vanderbilt's ridiculous bylaws offend you.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 AM
LeftishBritInPA Offline
Religion: Secular Christian

Frubals: 28
LeftishBritInPA is the leader of a covert group of mutant frubals

First off it is obvious where your sympathies lie since you posted from a right wing blog which happens to be owned by a student at the university, but not from any mainstream source. Five minutes of going on Google and I was able to find this:

EDITORIAL: Vanderbilt in the right: Nondiscrimination policy ensures equality for all - Inside Vandy: Editorials

Quote:
Tomorrow, nearly a year of conflict surrounding Vanderbilt's nondiscrimination policy's perceived incongruence with religious freedom comes to a head when university officials hold a town hall meeting to address student, faculty and staff concerns about the policy.

We support the university's decision to enforce its preexisting nondiscrimination policy and hope that the Vanderbilt community can accept the policy for what it is: protection for all against discrimination by university-sanctioned groups.

Chancellor Zeppos made it patently clear in his Jan. 20 email to the student body that the university, "requires all Vanderbilt registered student organizations to observe our nondiscrimination policy. That means membership in registered student organizations is open to everyone and that everyone, if desired, has the opportunity to seek leadership positions."
So first off the non-discrimination policy had already been in place for quite some time, and it was the religious groups who were violating it by discriminating against non-religious/LGBTQI individuals.

Second, the policy applies to all groups. Religious groups aren't being "singled out" - but I the religious have a strong defense mechanism. When someone wants you to stop discriminating you claim that you're the ones being persecuted.

Also the University wasn't "squashing religious freedom". The constitution is not a legally binding document to anyone who has not mutually signed it, and therefore certainly does not entail any agreement two third parties, in this sense a university and its students. At its broadest sense, it only dictates what the Federal government can and can't do. As a private university they have the right to set whichever requirements they so desire. Not only that, but the amendments are just that: an *amendment* which was not a part of the original constitution. It can easily be amended over again to fit the current needs of our society and indeed there are provisions that can be applied to ensure that everyone's rights are protected.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM
Kathryn Offline
Religion: Liturgical Christian
Title:Most Spoiled Woman Ever
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason:  Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For reaching 10,000 posts. Congrats Kathryn 

Frubals: 1617
Kathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubals
Kathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubalsKathryn gets all excited tearing open a shiny new box of frubals

I guess this is a nice policy. Anti-gay rights individuals should definitely be able to join gay rights groups - en masse if they like. White separatists and white supremacists should definitely be able to join the NAACP on campus as well. If enough of them join, heck they can win some elections for officer positions in any number of such organizations. I can't imagine why a white supremacist shouldn't be president of Vanderbilt's NAACP chapter.

Power to the people!
Old 02-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Faxecura Offline
Religion: Trad. Catholic

Frubals: 16
Faxecura gives frubals to the homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post
I guess this is a nice policy. Anti-gay rights individuals should definitely be able to join gay rights groups - en masse if they like. White separatists and white supremacists should definitely be able to join the NAACP on campus as well. If enough of them join, heck they can win some elections for officer positions in any number of such organizations. I can't imagine why a white supremacist shouldn't be president of Vanderbilt's NAACP chapter.

Power to the people!
We know it's not going to work that way. The University will figure out a way to allow the atheists, Jews, Hindus, or whatever to keep their "freedom of association" while going after Christians. From what I've seen, whenever they have bylaws like this, it's always directed at the more conservative groups, in practice.
Old 02-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Mestemia Offline
Religion: Apathetic Agnostic
Title:Advocatus Diaboli
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For 30,000 poasts. Congrats Mes! 

Frubals: 2394
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped
Mestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you droppedMestemia digs through couch cusions looking for frubals you dropped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn View Post

Power to the people!
I was unawares that White Supremacy was a religion...
Old 02-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Terrywoodenpic Offline
Religion: Anglican-heretic
Title:Oldest Heretic
Shield of Love: Awarded for demonstrating great love and kindness to all around - Issue reason: The kindness award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.  Congrats. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 1169
Terrywoodenpic is plotting to invade another country to drill for frubals
Terrywoodenpic is plotting to invade another country to drill for frubalsTerrywoodenpic is plotting to invade another country to drill for frubalsTerrywoodenpic is plotting to invade another country to drill for frubalsTerrywoodenpic is plotting to invade another country to drill for frubals

It would appear that any "Approved" organisation may not have its own rules of membership.
This is somewhat counter productive. if the Rowing club is open to non rowers...and who could eventually take over the club..
I can see no harm what so ever in having select organisations catering solely to the needs of their own membership. Such clubs in the UK often have a social membership category, but social members can not gain authority over the clubs core interest. Most such clubs require individual election by the existing membership to be able to join.

Neither selection nor qualification are Discriminatory

Last edited by Terrywoodenpic; 02-02-2012 at 11:02 AM..
Old 02-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Revoltingest Online!
Religion: Ignorant Atheist
Title:Certified Most Cunning
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason:  Shield of 50,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 50,000 posts - Issue reason: For making 50,000 posts (limericks and bacon pictures included)! 

Frubals: 3171
Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network
Revoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television networkRevoltingest is seeking investors for 'The Frubal Channel' television network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faxecura View Post
We know it's not going to work that way. The University will figure out a way to allow the atheists, Jews, Hindus, or whatever to keep their "freedom of association" while going after Christians.
Contrary to semi-popular belief, we heathens aren't "going after" Xians.
Vanderbilt's policy seems loopy, but I wonder if it would even have any noticeable effect.