Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2009, 07:41 AM
Magic Man Offline
Religion: Trampolinist
Title:Reaper of Conversation
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.   Congratulations! Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1405
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSun View Post
I see you still haven't given me any evidence.

Your ignoring of the evidence does not mean I haven't provided it. you even agreed to some of it. It's kind of stupid to refuse to see it now, especially when it just came up a page or so ago.

Whom = him, her
Who = he, she
Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Alceste Offline
Religion: Taoish
Title:Vagabond
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason:  Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats!! SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 2825
Alceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on Sundays
Alceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on SundaysAlceste remembers way back when you couldn't frubal people on Sundays

Quote:
To Alceste.

I'm sorry for responding to your wonderfully written post so crudely, but I don't think you've been understanding me.

You're claiming that disbelief in God is the only factual view of the world which can be of any use.
Where?? Is this how you address a point you can't find fault with? Misrepresentation? Or did you honestly fail this badly to comprehend anything I wrote?

Quote:
In fact, science doesn't even address God, because by nature, the scientific method can't prove one way or the other. So to say atheism is more rational than theism is a misnomer - because both sides have the same amount of empirical evidence supporting them - even if both sides feel justified through their inductive reasoning.
No, you're simply wrong. It is NOT "rational" to commit to a belief without any positive empirical evidence supporting it. It is NOT "logical". Yes, lots of people feel (your word) justified in believing implausible things in the absence of positive evidence, but when it comes to the subject of the existence of God, atheists do not.

You're cocking this up in the standard Western theistic way: because you overvalue "rationality" and "logic", you mistakenly assume pointing out that a belief is irrational or illogical is some kind of a dig. It isn't. It's a value-neutral statement of fact.

If you asked Painted Wolf whether her belief in god is "rational" or "logical", or "evidence-based" she would probably tell you frankly that OF COURSE it isn't. But Native American culture does not overvalue rationality, so this acknowledgment wouldn't make her belief less meaningful to her.

Quote:
So I'm sorry, but if you are claiming that belief is illogical... and that you're more logical than everyone else... but despite such claims, you have no evidence besides a lack of evidence... then if that isn't indicative of a superiority complex, then I really am confused.
Again, your over-esteem for logic is your value judgment, not mine. When I describe something as logical or illogical, it's a value-neutral statement of fact. I happen to be a logical person. I'm content with that. Many of my closest friends are just as content with a powerful creative imagination, and I respect and admire them for it, and enjoy their company.

However, NONE of my closest friends, and nobody I admire, is unable to distinguish between logic and creative imagination, as you seem to be.
Old 10-30-2009, 03:37 PM
dorsk188 Offline
Religion: Atheist
Title:One-Eyed in Blindsville

Frubals: 43
dorsk188 has much to be proud of

Quote:
I see you still haven't given me any evidence.
DarkSun, you began this topic claiming that there is no evidence against God, and that proposers and dismissers are equally justified in their beliefs. I presented evidence in this post. And I demonstrated how this evidence can be used to reach the conclusion that belief in the tooth fairy is not equally justified (as you claimed) in this post.

This appears to be the crux of your original post and the fatal flaw in your reasoning. You've posted 19 times since my posts, and have not attempted to respond.

Your apparent evasion is noted.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Cobblestones Offline
Religion: Hypernostalgia
Title:Devoid of Ettiquette

Frubals: 63
Cobblestones thinks frubals grow on treesCobblestones thinks frubals grow on trees

You started this post with the title:

To any Atheists, I Have a Few Scenarios for you to Look At.

You then posited three scenarios.

Have you noticed that whatever it was that you were hoping to convey to the atheists on the RF has not been conveyed in over 280 posts?
Old 10-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Magic Man Offline
Religion: Trampolinist
Title:Reaper of Conversation
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved.   Congratulations! Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For Reaching the 10,000 post mark! 

Frubals: 1405
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project
Magic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the projectMagic Man is raising funds to open a frubal petting zoo, but the cost of hand sanitizer alone might sink the project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobblestones View Post
You started this post with the title:

To any Atheists, I Have a Few Scenarios for you to Look At.

You then posited three scenarios.

Have you noticed that whatever it was that you were hoping to convey to the atheists on the RF has not been conveyed in over 280 posts?
Well, clearly that's because the many atheists who have commented on this thread just don't understand DarkSun. Clearly, it just means he has to talk louder.

In fact, he does seem to be treating us like many Americans treat people who don't speak English. "What is your name?" "Uh...no ingles" "WHAT...IS...YOUR...NAME?"

Whom = him, her
Who = he, she
Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 AM
DarkSun Offline
Religion: :noigileR
Title::eltiT

Frubals: 304
DarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alceste View Post
Where?? Is this how you address a point you can't find fault with? Misrepresentation? Or did you honestly fail this badly to comprehend anything I wrote?
No, it's how I address a point that doesn't dicredit anything I've previously said

Quote:
No, you're simply wrong. It is NOT "rational" to commit to a belief without any positive empirical evidence supporting it. It is NOT "logical".
Disbelief in God has as little empirical evidence supporting it as belief. Are you now saying you're not logical?

Quote:
Yes, lots of people feel (your word) justified in believing implausible things in the absence of positive evidence, but when it comes to the subject of the existence of God, atheists do not.
I've never actually denied this. Relevance?

Quote:
You're cocking this up in the standard Western theistic way: because you overvalue "rationality" and "logic", you mistakenly assume pointing out that a belief is irrational or illogical is some kind of a dig. It isn't. It's a value-neutral statement of fact.
First off, I don't over-value rationality and logic. Who are you arguing against?

Secondly, how is it an indication of neutrality if you're making a statement one way of the other, without any evidence, and saying that anyone who disagrees with your way is illogical? That's called bias, not a value-neutral statement of fact.

Quote:
If you asked Painted Wolf whether her belief in god is "rational" or "logical", or "evidence-based" she would probably tell you frankly that OF COURSE it isn't. But Native American culture does not overvalue rationality, so this acknowledgment wouldn't make her belief less meaningful to her.
I'm the same. I'm willing to admit that because my belief is based on inductive reasoning, with no scientific empirical evidence to support it, then that belief isn't rational or logical. But then again, neither is atheism, because of the lack of evidence supporting that too.

Again... who are you arguing against again? You don't seem to be arguing against what I've been saying, so it mustn't be me.

Quote:
Again, your over-esteem for logic is your value judgment, not mine. When I describe something as logical or illogical, it's a value-neutral statement of fact. I happen to be a logical person. I'm content with that. Many of my closest friends are just as content with a powerful creative imagination, and I respect and admire them for it, and enjoy their company.
Okay.

Quote:
However, NONE of my closest friends, and nobody I admire, is unable to distinguish between logic and creative imagination, as you seem to be.
Why are you saying it's more logical to disbelieve than it is to believe when there is no scientific evidence either way?

It has been said that the default for any statement made without evidence should be skepticism, correct? Well, what if someone came up to you and said there was no God. Would you still meet that statement with skepticism? No? Why not? Because it doesn't make sense to you that there would be a God of the description they're describing to begin with, right?

It makes sense to them, though.

What you are both doing is using your own inductive reasoning, your personal experiences, to come to the conclusions about God's existence/inexistence. But this reasoning is subjective, and varies depending on the individual. Neither party is being more logical than the other, because both people are only believing what makes sense to them.

If someone goes up to you and claims that your personal beliefs are wrong, then you're going to want the empirical evidence, right? But there is none. And visa versa. So who is more justified considering both people can't back up their claim with anything more than: "But in my opinion, your belief/disbelief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster makes no sense, so you're being illogical." Without empirical evidence, such statements remain entirely subjective viewpoints.

Well, based on the empirical evidence, no one is right or wrong, because science, by nature, cannot prove or disprove such a thing.

Last edited by DarkSun; 10-31-2009 at 05:03 AM..
Old 10-31-2009, 05:05 AM
DarkSun Offline

DarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular onesDarkSun brags that these frubals cause less gas than regular ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by mball1297 View Post
Well, clearly that's because the many atheists who have commented on this thread just don't understand DarkSun. Clearly, it just means he has to talk louder.

In fact, he does seem to be treating us like many Americans treat people who don't speak English. "What is your name?" "Uh...no ingles" "WHAT...IS...YOUR...NAME?"
Please don't talk about me as if I'm not here. People might mistake that for arrogance.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:08 AM
DarkSun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mball1297 View Post
Your ignoring of the evidence does not mean I haven't provided it. you even agreed to some of it. It's kind of stupid to refuse to see it now, especially when it just came up a page or so ago.
I agreed with evidence which discredited certain attributes of God. True. But you and I both know that isn't the evidence I asked for.

By the way, can you please stop assuming I'm an idiot who's refusing to accept what you're saying? I am reading everything you're saying and thinking about it. But I still disagree and I can't see how it disproves anything.

Last edited by DarkSun; 10-31-2009 at 05:10 AM..
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 AM
DarkSun Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsk188 View Post
DarkSun, you began this topic claiming that there is no evidence against God, and that proposers and dismissers are equally justified in their beliefs. I presented evidence in this post. And I demonstrated how this evidence can be used to reach the conclusion that belief in the tooth fairy is not equally justified (as you claimed) in this post.

This appears to be the crux of your original post and the fatal flaw in your reasoning. You've posted 19 times since my posts, and have not attempted to respond.

Your apparent evasion is noted.
I can't evade an argument I haven't read yet. It's not as if I spend all 24 hours of the day on the internet.

Sorry, I'll get back to you tomorrow.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 AM
Commoner Offline
Religion: Never!
Title:Headache

Frubals: 595
Commoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibitedCommoner is legally obligated to warn you that frubals are void where prohibited

Quote:
I'm the same. I'm willing to admit that because my belief is based on inductive reasoning, with no scientific empirical evidence to support it, then that belief isn't rational or logical. But then again, neither is atheism, because of the lack of evidence supporting that too.
Atheists have no belief regarding the matter. We don't believe it! How do you not get this?

Quote:
Why are you saying it's more logical to disbelieve than it is to believe when there is no scientific evidence either way?
Because, while it is overwhelmingly probable that a claim made without evidence is false, it is very unlikely that a claim without evidence is true. It could be true, but without evidence, it would be nothing more than a lucky guess. I once took the time to explain this to you in considerable detail, didn't I?
Quote:
It has been said that the default for any statement made without evidence should be skepticism, correct? Well, what if someone came up to you and said there was no God. Would you still meet that statement with skepticism?
YES!!! Has anyone indicated otherwise?

Last edited by Commoner; 10-31-2009 at 07:16 AM..