Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2009, 06:09 PM
Quagmire Offline
Religion: DWBHism
Title:Imaginary talking monkey
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as an admin. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: Just cuz SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of the Warrior: For bringing trolls to their knees - Issue reason: A special one of award for Quagmire for his dedication to RF and keeping the forums running smoothly. 

Frubals: 3834
Quagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuff
Quagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Penguin View Post
Well, I wasn't trying to prove anyone "wrong" here. Just showing that Robert Beckford fits the criteria you presented. If you don't think so then I stand corrected.
Oh. Ok, now I get it.

Sorry Penguin. I seem to have a bad case of the stupids today (and a slight case of the paranoids).

"The scariest thing about ignorance is how popular it is"

---The Mystical Christmas Monkey of Yore.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM
logician Offline
Religion: atheist
Title:Restricted

Frubals: 395
logician thinks you may have a couple of frubals looselogician thinks you may have a couple of frubals looselogician thinks you may have a couple of frubals looselogician thinks you may have a couple of frubals looselogician thinks you may have a couple of frubals looselogician thinks you may have a couple of frubals loose
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Does that mean you can't cite any scholars in the field who agree with you or Freke or Gandy?
Agree with what point? That the Jesus depicted in the bible may not have existed? There are many.

There is not one historian contempoary to the time of Jesus that ever wrote of such a man.

You would think that his supposed death accompanied by earthquakes, a unique trial, a possible ressurection or stolen body would have been quite newsworthy, but no mention by historians.

Go figure.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Dirty Penguin Offline
Religion: Common Sense
Title:Master Of Ceremony
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason: For your consistent skill in debating different topics. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats!! 

Frubals: 442
Dirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Oh. Ok, now I get it.

Sorry Penguin. I seem to have a bad case of the stupids today (and a slight case of the paranoids).
Naw.. you're ok. I'm not sure you and I have ever conversed or debated here on RF....I usually find your post or responses pleasing and knowledgeable.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Dirty Penguin Offline
Religion: Common Sense
Title:Master Of Ceremony
Shield of Valour: Awarded for heroic and decisive victory in the battlefield of debate - Issue reason: For your consistent skill in debating different topics. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts. Congrats!! 

Frubals: 442
Dirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubalsDirty Penguin has to stand on tip-toes to see over this pile of frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by logician View Post
Agree with what point? That the Jesus depicted in the bible may not have existed? There are many.

There is not one historian contempoary to the time of Jesus that ever wrote of such a man.

You would think that his supposed death accompanied by earthquakes, a unique trial, a possible ressurection or stolen body would have been quite newsworthy, but no mention by historians.

Go figure.

Agreed.....
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Quagmire Offline
Religion: DWBHism
Title:Imaginary talking monkey
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as an admin. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: Just cuz SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of the Warrior: For bringing trolls to their knees - Issue reason: A special one of award for Quagmire for his dedication to RF and keeping the forums running smoothly. 

Frubals: 3834
Quagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuff
Quagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuffQuagmire panicked when the frubals started oozing green stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Penguin View Post
Naw.. you're ok. I'm not sure you and I have ever conversed or debated here on RF....I usually find your post or responses pleasing and knowledgeable.
Well thanks Penguin, and likewise.

"The scariest thing about ignorance is how popular it is"

---The Mystical Christmas Monkey of Yore.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
dogsgod Offline
Religion: neutral

Frubals: 7579850
dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post

With all due respect, you are WAY off here. I would say by your statement that you haven't read any significant indepth scholarship on the historical Jesus, because anything that went into any depth on the sources for the Gospels (or explained Q or Matthew and Luke's use of Mark) would have explained that these were recordings of oral traditions. If you have read scholarship, I would ask you to cite it.
If an oral tradition existed in the case of the gospels why did the authors of Matthew and Luke copy Mark almost word for word? If an oral tradition existed, why are the birth stories of Matthew and Luke entirely different? We would expect a different wording but an otherwise parallel storyline if an oral tradition was the case. The sayings in Matthew and Luke are so similar in wording that oral tradition is ruled out in favor of a common written source referred to as Q.

Quote:
And having read the gospels in Greek many times, along with the LXX (and a fair amount of the Hebrew) this statement:"Practically every line making up the gospels can be found in the OT"

is blatantly false.
I'll return to this.

Quote:
Yes he does, but apparently you haven't read the texts you are discussing. Gal 1:15-./ thereupon after three years I went up into Jerusalem to visit Kephas and remained with him for fifteen days, and I did not see the other[s] of the apostles except James the brother of the Lord.
Had he said brother of Jesus you might have a case except for the confusion it would cause since he's only mentioned in Mark and Matthew when Jesus disowns his family. The author of Luke/Acts doesn't so much as mention James as a brother of Jesus.

Quote:
Such is the problem with all texts from ancient history. If you want to apply such standards of historicity to the gospels, fine. I have no problem with that, as long as you do the same for all ancient texts. Of course, this would mean that we can write off just about everything we know about history as myth, because there is more textual evidence for Jesus than most figure from ancient history. Scholars and historians write biographies of ancient people from a single text removed hundreds of years from the person discussed. Like I said before, you look on the texts of the Gospels with such a critical eye because you haven't read enough of ancient historical works (or enough scholarship on the historical Jesus).
The gospels are not to be read as accounts of actual events, they are of a theology. There are no historical accounts of Jesus.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:58 PM
dogsgod Offline

dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!
dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!dogsgod says HEY wake up the administrator!  We ran out of silly comments!

Oberon, here is a source for parallel lines from the gospels found in "OT" scriptures. The Gospel of Mark as Reaction and Allegory
Old 03-31-2009, 11:25 PM
Oberon Offline
Religion: Mostly Agnostic
Title:Esteemed Member

Frubals: 153
Oberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation

Quote:
OK. So cite one or two experts in the field of early christianity/biblical studies/historical Jesus (and by experts I do not mean some guy with a B.A. in psychology but with a PhD and preferably a professor in one of the above fields) who argues that the historical Jesus never existed.

Quote:
Why would Jesus be a concern of theirs until Christianity was large enough to matter (at which point we do have such recordings)? Before that time, we have biographies in the form of the gospels by people who WERE interested in it. Are the completely historical? No. But then again, those "contemporary historians" you mentioned weren't either. Classical historians wrote about miracles and divine events all the time. Yet we continue to parse their works for historical events.

Quote:
If an oral tradition existed in the case of the gospels why did the authors of Matthew and Luke copy Mark almost word for word? If an oral tradition existed, why are the birth stories of Matthew and Luke entirely different? We would expect a different wording but an otherwise parallel storyline if an oral tradition was the case. The sayings in Matthew and Luke are so similar in wording that oral tradition is ruled out in favor of a common written source referred to as Q.
I do not argue that Matthew and Luke did not use Mark, nor that their is a possibility that Q may have been written. However, you have not studied how oral tradition works. It is possible to transmit stories/sayings verbatim orally, without any written documents.

Quote:
Had he said brother of Jesus you might have a case except for the confusion it would cause since he's only mentioned in Mark and Matthew when Jesus disowns his family. The author of Luke/Acts doesn't so much as mention James as a brother of Jesus.
Except that Paul uses the greek kurios/lord to apply to Jesus in his writings, and Cephas is Peter (Petros being greek for rock, and cephas aramiac).

Quote:
The gospels are not to be read as accounts of actual events, they are of a theology. There are no historical accounts of Jesus.
Again, you obviously haven't read enough ancient history to judge this. "Historians" such as Herodotus and Josephus fill their accounts with miracles, theology, fables, etc.

Quote:
Oberon, here is a source for parallel lines from the gospels found in "OT" scriptures. The Gospel of Mark as Reaction and Allegory
When I ask for citations, I mean scholarly citations, not internet junk. I might as well respond by citing some Christian website as defense for the historical Jesus.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 AM
dogsgod Offline

Oberon, what would an oral tradition of a death defying godman that walked on water, calmed the seas, and raised the dead prove? That a son of God really came down to earth and performed miracles? Did your historical Jesus have supernatural powers?
Old 04-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Oberon Offline
Religion: Mostly Agnostic
Title:Esteemed Member

Frubals: 153
Oberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationOberon tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation

Quote:
Oberon, what would an oral tradition of a death defying godman that walked on water, calmed the seas, and raised the dead prove? That a son of God really came down to earth and performed miracles? Did your historical Jesus have supernatural powers?
Again I am not Christian. And no, a starting assumption of an historian is that miracles are not provable and therefore cannot be said to be "historical." Christian historians may believe that they happened, but will acknowledge that they cannot be defended as historical events. However, miracles occur in the works of many ancient historians (along with historical errors). Yet historians still use them.

EDIT- I wish to add this caveat: When I say that historians (whether believers or not) cannot argue for the historicity of the miracle stories within the gospels, this does not mean they don't argue that the events didn't take place in some way. The best explanation may be found in the second volume of Meier's three volume work on the historical Jesus. Events happen, even today, that some interpret as miracles (say a healing at a particular shrine). The fact that a person went to a shrine sick (or at least pretending or thinking himself sick) is not debated, nor is the fact that the person walked away claiming to be healed. What is debated is whether or not a miracle actually happened.
In much the same way, a scholar can argue that historical events lie behind a particular miracle story without arguing that a miracle took place or even being Christian (see, for example, Morton Smith's "Jesus the Magician"). For example, they can say that a particular healing likely took place, while at the same time arguing that it was not a miracle anymore than modern faith healings that happen.

Last edited by Oberon; 04-01-2009 at 12:25 PM..