Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 AM
John Martin Offline
Title:Junior Member

Frubals: 76
John Martin likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling offJohn Martin likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling off
Default Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but throug

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.( New American Standard Bible). This statement of Jesus has been interpreted to mean that Jesus Christ is the only way to God or true way to God
Interestingly here Jesus equates 'the way' with truth and the life.
This interpretation makes Christianity an exclusive religion and presents Jesus as a kind of spiritual colonizer. It is a very difficult statement for the inter-religious dialogue.

Are there any different ways of interpreting this statement of Jesus?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 AM
Jainarayan Offline
Religion: Sanātana Dharma
Title:Vaishnava

Frubals: 715
Jainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no commentsJainarayan has an irrational fear of being chased by zombie frubals with no comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Martin View Post
Absolutely. One way, my particular take is that Jesus is saying no one can know God unless they listen to his (Jesus's) teaching about God. It is because the Jews of the time lost sight of what God really is, and what God expects. It addresses the time and place he was teaching. It does not say to me that if you don't believe in Jesus as God or the son of God, you will be condemned to hell (a later church con-kook-tion). Jesus's teachings bring you to God. Krishna, in the Bhagavad Gita 1,000 years earlier, teaches us how to reach Him also. Very similar teachings.

ॐ नमो नारायणाय
oṃ namo nārāyaṇāya
Old 05-02-2013, 08:19 AM
F0uad Offline
Religion: Islam
Title:Intrepid Member

Frubals: 144
F0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceF0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy faceF0uad writes cutesy love poems to frubals, dotting every 'i' with a little happy face

Quote:
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.( New American Standard Bible). This statement of Jesus has been interpreted to mean that Jesus Christ is the only way to God or true way to God
This interpretation makes Christianity an exclusive religion and presents Jesus as a kind of spiritual colonizer. It is a very difficult statement for the inter-religious dialogue.

Well clearly people went to the father in Mosesīs(pbuh) time by following Moses(pbuh) so what he is saying is that you should follow him and nothing else.

My questions is how do you know Jesus(pbuh) said those things?
Old 05-02-2013, 08:36 AM
SageTree Offline
Title:Spiritual Friend
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 370
SageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowed

"Those who attune their way to my Way, will Experience the Way of the Divine"

Jesus' Way is the Perfect Way..... but is he the only Teacher to teach this Attuning to Divine Ways?

Pass it on.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM
John Martin Offline

John Martin likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling offJohn Martin likes the look on kids' faces when you tell them their frubals are falling off
Default It does not say to me that if you don't believe in Jesus as God or the son of God, you will be cond

Dear Sage Tree,
Thank you so much for your post. For me also It does not say that if you don't believe in Jesus as God or the son of God, you will be condemned to hell. I feel at home with you intuitions. I do not consider that he is the only teacher who said what he said. My only intuition is his experience of God has happened in a specific social, political conditions. Thanks again.

Last edited by John Martin; 05-02-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 05-02-2013, 10:13 AM
SageTree Offline
Title:Spiritual Friend
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 370
SageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowedSageTree forgot to mention that frubals can be harmful if swallowed

Quote:
Dear Sage Tree,
Thank you so much for your post. For me also It does not say that if you don't believe in Jesus as God or the son of God, you will be condemned to hell. I feel at home with you intuitions. I do not consider that he is the only teacher who said what he said. My only intuition is his experience of God has happened in a specific social, political conditions. Thanks again.
And you label yourself as a Christian?

If this verse is true, as it's being held here, is there any use in conversion at all?

Pass it on.....
Old 05-02-2013, 10:36 AM
9-10ths_Penguin Online!
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3079
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:
No, he doesn't. He says he's all those things, but if he was equating them, the passage would read something like "I am the way, which is the truth and the life"

Quote:

Of course. The passage can be taken two different ways:

- if someone doesn't have Jesus, then he won't get to the Father.
- if someone has found the Father, then you can be sure that Jesus was involved somehow.

The second interpretation is better for inter-religious dialogue, although it's still chauvinistic: the idea that all godly people are Christians in their own way is offensive in the same way as that line in Full Metal Jacket: "We are here to help the Vietnamese, because inside every g*** there is an American trying to get out."
Old 05-02-2013, 10:50 AM
John Martin Offline

Default Well clearly people went to the father in Mosesīs(pbuh) time by following Moses(pbuh) so what he is

Scholars may not be certain if these words spoken by Jesus or put by his disciples in the mouth of Jesus. What I want to try is whether these statement has any relevance for our spiritual life today and also if it has any universal value.
The teaching of Christ was not exactly the teaching of Moses. He accepted Moses teachings and told people to follow them. But he also invited people to grow deeper in relationship with God. it seems that he made statements which invited the anger of the spiritual leaders of his time. He claimed he was the son of God and even said 'the Father( God) and I are one'.( I consider the expressions 'the Son of God' and 'Father', more metaphorical than metaphysical) These statements are blasphemous to his spiritual tradition. He seems to have said that he has come to fulfil the Law of Moses? The questions is whether Jesus just repeated the teaching of Moses or was he inviting people to grow into deeper relationship with God? He told Nicodemus,'unless you are born again you cannot enter into the kingdom of God'. Nicodemus was following the Law of Moses. But it seems that he was in crisis.It seems that there were some spiritual questions in him so he came to meet to Jesus in the night: Then Jesus told him that he had come out of his present stage and move into an higher or deeper relationship with God.Jesus said, the wind blows where it wills but you do not know from where it comes and you do not know to where it goes. It is like this who is born of the spirit'.
My suggestion is when Jesus said' I am the way, the truth and the life. He was referring to a state of consciousness which is freed from the past and lives in inner freedom, where God's indwelling presence is experienced. No one can come to this state of inner freedom unless people grow into this state as Jesus did. It does not mean that one has to believe in Jesus as the Son of God or one with God, or the only way, truth and life, but to enter into the state that Jesus entered. I am very pleased that Sage Tree suggested the same. The question is:is Jesus the only one who had this experience? I do not hold this view and it is not necessary. The importance is to grow into God and not to hold views on someone,except if they help for our spiritual growth.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM
oldbadger Offline
Religion: Deist
Title:Old Mongrel!

Frubals: 298
oldbadger cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsoldbadger cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsoldbadger cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsoldbadger cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubalsoldbadger cackles hysterically after pulling the chair out from under your frubals

Quote:

Thankyou for this interesting thread!

Ah...... John...... John's Gospel seems to repeat this 'I am the'.... style. Here are some examples:-

John {6:35} And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life:

John {9:5} As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

John {10:7} Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep

John {10:9} I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved,

John {10:11} I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep

John {10:14} I am the good shepherd, and know my [sheep,] and am known of mine.

John {11:25} Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that
believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:

John {14:6} Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John {15:1} I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

My questions are:-

Who wrote this gospel?
When was this gospel written?
Old 05-02-2013, 11:00 AM
Breathe Offline
Title:Wondering why I'm here
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your exceptional and original contributions to the forum Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts!! Congrats Carl!! 

Frubals: 1628
Breathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggle
Breathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggleBreathe watches videos of frubals running in slow motion to see them jiggle

Quote:
"No one meets God but through these spiritual truths I {Jesus} teach."
And what are those teachings? "Love God above all, and your neighbour as yourself."