Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2012, 10:57 PM
yaddoe Offline
Religion: Latter-day Saint :D
Title:Kyle Adams

Frubals: 42
yaddoe has much to be proud of
Default Christ's Genealogy

The Genealogy of Christ (Matt.1:1- 16):
Abraham – Isaac - JacobJudas – Phares – Zara – Thamar – Esrom – Aram – Aminadab – Naasson – Salmon -Booz of Rachab - Obed of Ruth – Jesse - King David -
Solomon – Roboam – Abla – Asa – Josaphat – Joram – Ozias – Joatham – Achaz – Ezekias –Manasses –Amon – Josias - Jechonias (At the time Israel was carried into Babylon) - Salathiel
Zorobabel – Abuid – Eliakim – Azor – Sadoc – Achim – Eluid – Eleazar – Matthan - Jacob
Joseph (The husband of Mary) – Jesus the Christ

Why is Christ’s genealogy important?
Do you think all of the people before Christ knew that Christ was going to be one of their descendants? Why do you think it was important for each of the people in Christ’s family line to keep track of their family history? Was it important for them also, or just important for Christ? If it was important for people all throughout the scriptures, do you think it is important for us to keep a record of our genealogy today?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
waitasec Offline
Religion: irrelevantist
Title:BANNED
Shield of 20,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 20,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 20,000 Posts 

Frubals: 489
waitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lotwaitasec is sleepy because, frankly, your frubals snore a lot

this poses an interesting question...

why would the god of the universe need to impregnate a particular jewish virgin betrothed to a particular jewish man?

seems rather particular and insular to me...
Old 08-07-2012, 11:15 PM
Religion: Pick-'n'-mix-ism????
Title:Can't brain. Has dumb.

Frubals: 635
methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'

In terms of today, I think it's interesting to keep a record of genealogy. Unnecessary, but interesting. I don't need to know about my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents to ... justify (not the exact word I'm after) who I am and the great (or not so great) things I might do.

What is important is family, and knowing who your living relatives are.

At one point in history, if I remember correctly, the human population got reduced to just 2000. One can assume we all descended from those 2000 people. So in a sense, our living relatives could easily include everyone else. The brother/sisterhood of humankind, in that regard, I think is important.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:24 PM
yaddoe Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitasec View Post
this poses an interesting question...

why would the god of the universe need to impregnate a particular jewish virgin betrothed to a particular jewish man?

seems rather particular and insular to me...
I asked the same question to the Jehovah's Witnesses this way,
"If God can materialize and dematerialize as he pleases and receiving was not necessary, why did Christ need to be born through a Virgin instead of just materializing onto the earth?"

I believe Christ needed to get a body for the same reason we all needed to get bodies, to become more powerful beings. I believe a spirit clothed in a body is more powerful than a spirit without a body. It is why Satan wants so desperately to have control over our bodies.

It isn't exactly the question I wanted to dwell on in this thread, I was hoping to dwell more on the subject of why Christ's Family History was important, and less of why Christ needed to be born into this world rather than just materialize into this world.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM
yaddoe Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by methylatedghosts View Post
In terms of today, I think it's interesting to keep a record of genealogy. Unnecessary, but interesting. I don't need to know about my great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents to ... justify (not the exact word I'm after) who I am and the great (or not so great) things I might do.

What is important is family, and knowing who your living relatives are.

At one point in history, if I remember correctly, the human population got reduced to just 2000. One can assume we all descended from those 2000 people. So in a sense, our living relatives could easily include everyone else. The brother/sisterhood of humankind, in that regard, I think is important.
So you don't believe it was important for the Israelites to be able to link themselves back to Adam in some way or another?

I repeat my earlier question in different words. Was it important for Moses to know his long reaching family history for himself, or was it important for Moses to know his family history for the benefit of Christ?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:29 PM
9-10ths_Penguin Offline
Religion: Hug Universalist
Title:1/10 البطريق
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason:  Shield of 30,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 30,000 posts - Issue reason: For getting 30,000 Posts SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of The Silver Tongue: Awarded to a true wordsmith. A master at cleverly expressing themselves to great effect - Issue reason: For always being able to effectively express yourself. 

Frubals: 3087
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark
9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark9-10ths_Penguin is relieved frubals were on the ark

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddoe View Post
The Genealogy of Christ (Matt.1:1- 16):
Abraham – Isaac - JacobJudas – Phares – Zara – Thamar – Esrom – Aram – Aminadab – Naasson – Salmon -Booz of Rachab - Obed of Ruth – Jesse - King David -
Solomon – Roboam – Abla – Asa – Josaphat – Joram – Ozias – Joatham – Achaz – Ezekias –Manasses –Amon – Josias - Jechonias (At the time Israel was carried into Babylon) - Salathiel
Zorobabel – Abuid – Eliakim – Azor – Sadoc – Achim – Eluid – Eleazar – Matthan - Jacob
Joseph (The husband of Mary) – Jesus the Christ

Why is Christ’s genealogy important?
Do you think all of the people before Christ knew that Christ was going to be one of their descendants? Why do you think it was important for each of the people in Christ’s family line to keep track of their family history? Was it important for them also, or just important for Christ? If it was important for people all throughout the scriptures, do you think it is important for us to keep a record of our genealogy today?
Wait... how is this Christ's family line? Is Joseph Jesus' father?
Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 PM
yaddoe Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-10ths_Penguin View Post
Wait... how is this Christ's family line? Is Joseph Jesus' father?
Not his biological father.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 PM

methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'methylatedghosts says, with a twinkle, 'A frubal is 1 part hug, 1 part smile, and a dash of partially hydrogenated soybean oil'

Quote:
So you don't believe it was important for the Israelites to be able to link themselves back to Adam in some way or another?

I repeat my earlier question in different words. Was it important for Moses to know his long reaching family history for himself, or was it important for Moses to know his family history for the benefit of Christ?
I don't believe knowing your family history is important to be able to do great things. Who you were descended from has no influence on the greatness you have the potential to create in this world.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:41 PM
yaddoe Offline

Quote:
Originally Posted by methylatedghosts View Post
I don't believe knowing your family history is important to be able to do great things. Who you were descended from has no influence on the greatness you have the potential to create in this world.
I feel it has influence on many of the things I do in my life, but it is not a controlling factor.
My Dad has been a great influence on me throughout my life and I can take what I like from his teaching style and use what I like to help raise my children (One of the greatest things I can do in my life). I also believe that my Dad took what he liked from his Dad's teaching styles and so on and so forth.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
I feel it has influence on many of the things I do in my life, but it is not a controlling factor.
My Dad has been a great influence on me throughout my life and I can take what I like from his teaching style and use what I like to help raise my children (One of the greatest things I can do in my life). I also believe that my Dad took what he liked from his Dad's teaching styles and so on and so forth.
What influence has your great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather had on your life?

As I said - living relatives are important