Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:39 AM
John Boanerges Offline
Title:Preterist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 31
Frubals: 12
John Boanerges will work for frubals
Default The Physiology of Homosexuality

This thread arose from another that I contributed to recently. Of course, the discussion got heated and started heading down a road that I didn't intend.

Here was the premise: There is now (overwhelming) medical evidence that sexual orientation can be determined/changed in the womb by prenatal exposure to chemicals and hormones, particularly xenoestrogens, which are exogenous (made outside the body) estrogens from plants (e.g. the powerful isoflavones of soy) and man-made chemicals (e.g. from toxins/pollutants, pesticides, plastics, and more). Genetics have also been implicated in determining sexual orientation, with certain genes being turned on or off by certain outside stimuli, such as the ones listed above, much like "genetic diseases" (e.g. familial cancers) are expressed under the influences certain chemicals (e.g. carcinogens).

If you Google "xenoestrogens, sexual orientation", "epigenetics, sexual orientation", "prenatal hormones, homosexuality", "right hand finger length study, homosexuality", and related searches you will find plenty of scientific evidence. Epigenetics is particularly fascinating - the layer of genetic information (much of which is viral) that helps determine what the true genes in the DNA are going to do when challenged by outside forces, such as xenoestrogens, chemicals/toxins/pollutants/carcinogens.

So...there are physiological events that help explain why many gay individuals unequivocally state that they have felt the way they do for as long as they can remember. In some, it may be a lifestyle choice. However, most that I know have felt this way...some even fighting the compulsion to be this way...their entire life. They are as convinced of their sexual orientation as any heterosexual.

Here was my point: The church is going to have to deal with the fact that homosexuality is not simply a matter of being "seduced by the dark side". There is overwhelming evidence that sexual orientation can be changed in utero and even later in life through epigenetics. Homosexuality is now much more than the “simple” lifestyle choice that the uneducated individual thinks it is. It may have been more of choice in OT times and the Word (the law) was there to govern this behavior. But in today's world, under the influences of MAN, this has changed and become more of a physiological issue.

Now, this concept is not a "win" for either side. In fact, it will be hard to swallow by both sides. Many evangelical are convinced that homosexuality is merely a choice and purely sinful behavior and don't want to hear otherwise while I'm sure that most homosexuals will not enjoy the perspective that their sexual orientation is "abnormal" in any way (e.g. being a "birth defect" caused by chemical exposure in the womb). But...the medical data is what it is - a scientific explanation for the rise in homosexuality in modern times AND support for the testimony of those who are gay and (correctly) claim to have been born this way. Just as most homosexuals will tell you, they did not choose to be gay.

As painful as this topic may be, I believe it opens the door for reconciliation between the two groups. Yes, most homosexuals were born this way or became so under what we now know to be definable circumstances. Again, they were not simply "seduced by the dark side" or products of "improper upbringing".

This should help open the minds - and the church doors - of Christians to the homosexual individual and afford them the unconditional love that we all desire...and that Christians are being slammed every day for not exhibiting (and rightfully so. Shame on us!)

This is/should be the bridge.

Then, if we want to address the Scriptural aspects of this lifestyle, we can hopefully do so in a setting of love and understanding, remembering that "sin" comes in many forms...with ALL of us being guilty. If heterosexuals battle lust for members of the opposite sex (which most do much more than they care to admit), imagine how hard it must be for those who have those same urges for someone of the same sex before they can fully comprehend/integrate those feelings as an adult. And many pour gas on the fire through ignorant condemnation, which is both factually and spiritually the wrong thing to do.

We must address the hatred that is being expressed on both sides of this issue, much of which can be defused by understanding the physiology of sexual orientation.

So...will you Google it?

Can we at least discuss this in a civilized manner?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:48 AM
Polarbear's Avatar
Polarbear Offline
Religion: Pagan
Title:Theist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
Frubals: 22
Polarbear invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boanerges View Post
There is now (overwhelming) medical evidence that sexual orientation can be determined/changed in the womb by prenatal exposure to chemicals and hormones,
No there isn't, just check out this video:


Potential barriers to "curing" homosexuality - YouTube
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:59 AM
John Boanerges Offline
Title:Preterist
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 31
Frubals: 12
John Boanerges will work for frubals
Default

Did you listen to that video??? Very early on, the speaker states exactly what I just said about prenatal influences. I see no contradictions here. I did not state that there was one identifiable influence that makes a person homosexual. It is complex, but...taken together, these things can and do influence sexual orientation in utero and even postnatally.

Once again, the main point is that most homosexuality today is determined physiologically, not simply by choice.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2012, 12:12 PM
Polarbear's Avatar
Polarbear Offline
Religion: Pagan
Title:Theist
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Norway
Gender: Male
Posts: 418
Frubals: 22
Polarbear invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boanerges View Post
Did you listen to that video??? Very early on, the speaker states exactly what I just said about prenatal influences. I see no contradictions here. I did not state that there was one identifiable influence that makes a person homosexual. It is complex, but...taken together, these things can and do influence sexual orientation in utero and even postnatally.

Once again, the main point is that most homosexuality today is determined physiologically, not simply by choice.
Note where she talks about all the environmental factors, that hetrosexuals can have many of the same traits as homosexuals pre-nataly and that it's impossible to determine wheter or not someone is or will become a homosexuals. I am not saying homosexuality isn't biological, but that it's hard to reliably determine who is gay before they are born and I am not aware of any way to alter someones orientation like you claimed was possible.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Universe's Avatar
Super Universe Offline
Religion: Urantia Book/Wingmaker
Title:Defender of God
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: It's beautiful...
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,740
Frubals: 270
Super Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funny
Default

The church has dealt with the homosexuality issue for centuries, they are still opposed to it. I don't think it matters to them whether homosexuals are born that way or not, to them, we all have to abide by God's supposed rules regardless.

Are they stuck in two thousand year old theory? Yes.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Curious George Offline
Title:Uber Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 2,817
Frubals: 153
Curious George tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationCurious George tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationCurious George tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversationCurious George tries to work the phrase, 'more fun than a barrel of frubals' into every conversation
Default

I would suggest that if every possible factor could be controlled to create either a homosexual or heterosexual child then by all means we should create an even amount of both. However, I think some Christian's are going to be very upset when we flip a coin and tell them we are going to have to turn their child gay.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Trey of Diamonds's Avatar
Religion: Unitarian
Title:Awesome Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Baton Rouge
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,996
Frubals: 677
Trey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroomTrey of Diamonds keeps framed pictures of frubals plastered all over the hall to the bathroom
Default

The problem with your premise that is "Homosexuality is a Sin". I don't believe it is, so it is difficult for me to see your point of view. I see people who are more concerned with altering others behavior than actually offering help to be more harmful than anything else. Good intentions does not excuse hatred.
__________________
<> <> <> Trey of Diamonds <> <> <>
I write Zombie Films - Project Z

"If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things."
~ Rene Descartes
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:06 PM
Quagmire's Avatar
Quagmire Offline
Religion: DWBHism
Title:Imaginary talking monkey
Shield of The Jester: Awarded for unyielding commitment to humour and the entertainment of others - Issue reason: This award has been given to you by your peers and is well deserved. Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: For your hard work as an admin. Tolerance Award:  - Issue reason: Your peers have nominated you for the tolerance award, and it's well deserved. Shield of 40,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 40,000 posts - Issue reason: Just cuz SPECIAL AWARD: Shield of the Warrior: For bringing trolls to their knees - Issue reason: A special one of award for Quagmire for his dedication to RF and keeping the forums running smoothly. 
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: California
Gender: Male
Posts: 41,451
Frubals: 3863
Quagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the driveway
Quagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the drivewayQuagmire accidently backed over frubals carelessly left on the driveway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey of Diamonds View Post
The problem with your premise that is "Homosexuality is a Sin". I don't believe it is, so it is difficult for me to see your point of view. I see people who are more concerned with altering others behavior than actually offering help to be more harmful than anything else. Good intentions does not excuse hatred.
He did put quotations marks around the word "sin", if you'll notice.

Not to speak for someone else, but to me it seems obvious that this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Boanerges
Then, if we want to address the Scriptural aspects of this lifestyle, we can hopefully do so in a setting of love and understanding, remembering that "sin" comes in many forms...with ALL of us being guilty. If heterosexuals battle lust for members of the opposite sex (which most do much more than they care to admit), imagine how hard it must be for those who have those same urges for someone of the same sex before they can fully comprehend/integrate those feelings as an adult. And many pour gas on the fire through ignorant condemnation, which is both factually and spiritually the wrong thing to do.
. . .is addressing other Christians, ie., people who usually consider homosexuality a sin.
__________________
"If I had to think about everything I did I'd never get anything done"
--- Naykidape

"The scariest thing about ignorance is how popular it is"

---The Mystical Christmas Monkey of Yore.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:13 PM
methylatedghosts's Avatar
Religion: Pick-'n'-mix-ism????
Title:Can't brain. Has dumb.
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Wellington, NZ
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,885
Frubals: 644
methylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking outmethylatedghosts doesn't know a polite way to tell you that your frubals are sticking out
Default

I'm not convinced. In my experience, and in the experience of others I know, sexuality is rather fluid. It changes with time. Not suddenly, but gradually to the point where it's difficult to say at which point sexual attraction might have changed. I do know that for a while I considered myself straight, then bi, then gay, then back to bi, before finally arriving at pansexual. I couldn't tell you whether or not it may change again
__________________
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-22-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Universe's Avatar
Super Universe Offline
Religion: Urantia Book/Wingmaker
Title:Defender of God
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: It's beautiful...
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,740
Frubals: 270
Super Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funnySuper Universe said your frubals smell funny
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious George View Post
I would suggest that if every possible factor could be controlled to create either a homosexual or heterosexual child then by all means we should create an even amount of both.
Uh, you're not serious about that, are you?

I think the ratio of homosexuals in society is something like 10%.

You would raise it to 50%?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:22 PM.


Copyright © 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.