Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 AM
The Sum of Awe's Avatar
The Sum of Awe Online!
Religion: Universal Soul (Qi)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luana, IA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,631
Frubals: 710
The Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packets
Default Why would you want an afterlife?

Why do you want something after you die?

We live a perfect amount of time in my opinion. The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.

Do you know how long eternity is? Of course you do, but when you say you want eternal life you just don't think of it.


10,000 * two googol is not even half of your time existing there. And let me tell you, isn't that a little too long?

Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!

Think twice about this, and think deep both times. Do you really want that?
__________________
Cognum Opus: Reality is however you perceive it.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:57 AM
Abuser's Avatar
Abuser Offline
Religion: V-8
Title:Microbrewologist
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 633
Frubals: 65
Abuser has a stash of frubals in the Cayman IslandsAbuser has a stash of frubals in the Cayman Islands
Default

That depends on how much entertainment the next world has.

/no x-box = no deal
__________________

I'm an equal opportunity destroyer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:58 AM
Greyn Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:South of Providence
 
Join Date: May 2011
Gender: Male
Posts: 64
Frubals: 12
Greyn will work for frubals
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sum of Awe View Post
Why do you want something after you die?

We live a perfect amount of time in my opinion. The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.

Do you know how long eternity is? Of course you do, but when you say you want eternal life you just don't think of it.


10,000 * two googol is not even half of your time existing there. And let me tell you, isn't that a little too long?

Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!

Think twice about this, and think deep both times. Do you really want that?
The average life span is 100 yrs? That seems a bit longer than my experience.

No one really knows what the afterlife holds, so it is difficult to answer this question. My belief system promises a life free from suffering and death within a new perfect creation where I have a purpose. That does not sound too bad, imo. Especially compared to my present life that has uncertainty, confusion, suffering and death.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:00 AM
PolyHedral's Avatar
PolyHedral Offline
Religion: Meow's socks
Title:Superabacus Mystic
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,334
Frubals: 332
PolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more arousedPolyHedral tries counting frubals to get to sleep but only ends up more aroused
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sum of Awe View Post
The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.
More like 70.

Quote:
Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!
Who says the afterlife is infinite?
__________________
I got my avatar mixed up with my Avatar avatar. Though for all I know, they're Avatars.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:02 AM
Penumbra's Avatar
Penumbra Offline
Religion: Philosophy
Title:Administrator
Shield of The Writer: Awarded for commendable contribution to the articles and journals at Religious Forums - Issue reason: For careful and thorough articulation of your thoughts in your posts over the years. Shield of The Renaissance Woman: Awarded to a real polymath, a person with many talents or interests who contributes greatly to a wide range of discussions and debates - Issue reason: For your knowledge and understanding of a wide variety of topics through the years. Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason: For your excellent knowledge on a variety of different topics Shield of Labour: Awarded for admirable hard work and development of a cause - Issue reason: Valuable contributions to the forum as a staff member. Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For contributing 10,000 posts! SPECIAL AWARD:Shield of the Thinker: Awarded for the remarkable ability to ponder carefully and think critically about all subjects they encounter - Issue reason:  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: United States
Gender: Female
Posts: 14,507
Frubals: 1113
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Penumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morningPenumbra promises to still respect your frubals in the morning
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sum of Awe View Post
Why do you want something after you die?

We live a perfect amount of time in my opinion. The average is 100 years which is the exact amount of life that I need and ever want.
The average life is not 100 years.

Some people die before they are born, some people die as children, some people die as teens, some people die as adults, and some people die when they are old. The average lifespan is in the 70s-80s in developed countries, and as low as 40s-60s in some countries.

Quote:
Do you know how long eternity is? Of course you do, but when you say you want eternal life you just don't think of it.

10,000 * two googol is not even half of your time existing there. And let me tell you, isn't that a little too long?

Just think, you'll be trapped in consciousness no matter what happens, every second forever you are conscious, no escape of consciousness EVER!!

Think twice about this, and think deep both times. Do you really want that?
This seems to assume that an afterlife must be infinite in duration. Although this is not necessarily the case, it's what it is commonly put forth. I agree that a life of infinite duration could be nightmare-ish.

I personally do not have an interest in an afterlife. I agree that a full human life is enough, as long as it's a good one. But I can see how it would be valuable to some, and I see a benefit in it. For instance, I'd prefer if people who die as children, or who receive grave injustice in life and suffer, get to experience a happy and full life to make up for it. And I can see how it's nice to think that an afterlife could be extremely wonderful and better than this one. I don't know why anyone would seek eternal life though- a happy and long finite life is probably optimal.

Plus, an afterlife provides religions with considerable wiggle-room when it comes to the proposition that their gods are omnipotent, personal, and omnibenevolent, because otherwise they'd have a very difficult time justifying the injustice in this world.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:03 AM
The Sum of Awe's Avatar
The Sum of Awe Online!
Religion: Universal Soul (Qi)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luana, IA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,631
Frubals: 710
The Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packets
Default

No matter what is in the afterlife, why would you want to exist for much over a couple thousand trillion googol centuries?
__________________
Cognum Opus: Reality is however you perceive it.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:04 AM
The Sum of Awe's Avatar
The Sum of Awe Online!
Religion: Universal Soul (Qi)
Title:Realitarian
Shield of Creativity: Awarded for wonderfully original and innovative thinking - Issue reason: For your creative and innovative contributions to the forum Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: Congrats Sum. 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Luana, IA
Gender: Male
Posts: 12,631
Frubals: 710
The Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packetsThe Sum of Awe makes extra money selling frubals on a stick at fairs, and keeps all the unsued mustard packets
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolyHedral View Post
More like 70.


Who says the afterlife is infinite?
What lies beyond the afterlife if it is not infinite? That'd be the next question. So people who invented the idea of the afterlife said "might as well say its eternal"
__________________
Cognum Opus: Reality is however you perceive it.

"I needn't explain my beliefs, they're all around me."
"What helps you sleep at night, might not let you wake up."
The Sum of Awe

"The universe begins to look more and more like a great thought than a great machine." James Jeans
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:11 AM
sky dancer Offline
Religion: Tibetan Buddhist
Title:BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Rural Northern Ca.
Gender: Undisclosed
Posts: 289
Frubals: 21
sky dancer invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy
Default

Why do you assume an afterlife is anything other than another human or animal life? If everything in the universe is impermanent, why assume there is eternity?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Draka's Avatar
Draka Offline
Religion: My Inner Dragon
Title:Cylon Skin Job
Shield of Peace: Awarded for exceptional effort in upholding and promoting the peace - Issue reason:  Shield of the Veteran: For continued service and valued contribution over the years - Issue reason: For your excellent contributions over the years Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For sharing 100 X 100 thoughts! 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Iowa
Gender: Female
Posts: 15,187
Frubals: 2334
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work
Draka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at workDraka worries about being fired for fuballing at work
Default

First off, what makes you think that your method of existing and consciousness would be the same as during a human incarnation? Different forms of existence would be experienced differently. Not to mention that "afterlife" is not a set thing. There are some who believe in reincarnation. Why would reincarnation just be limited to human lifeforms on this particular planet? There may be higher forms to take. More to learn. More to experience. Not to mention that there is nothing that says that eternity is eternity. Who's to say that our spirit does not ascend to a higher form? Or return to a whole that it was fractured off from? There are some who believe in reincarnation until a certain level of wisdom is reached and then the spirit returns to deity. That we are just fragments of deity itself. To just think we die and our spirits troll around in some "heaven" for ever and ever and ever seems kind of limited doesn't it?
__________________
Debating some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good at playing chess you are, the pigeon is just going to knock down all the pieces, poop on the board, and walk around all triumphant.

If extreme stupidity could be declared a form of torture, I'd turn you in.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2011, 11:23 AM
Nooj's Avatar
Nooj Offline
Title:none
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: sydney
Gender: Male
Posts: 639
Frubals: 59
Nooj has a reputation beyond reputeNooj has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sum of Awe View Post
No matter what is in the afterlife, why would you want to exist for much over a couple thousand trillion googol centuries?
Timeless doesn't mean a long, long long long long time + infinity, it means that time is inapplicable.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:40 PM.


Copyright 2014 Advameg, Inc.

SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.