Religious Education Forum  

Welcome Guest to ReligiousForums.com . You are currently not registered. When you become registered you will be able to interact with our large base of already registered users discussing topics. Some annoying Ads will also disappear when you register. Registering doesn't cost a thing and only takes a few seconds. We provide areas to chat and debate all World Religions. Please go to our register page!
Home Who's Online Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates
Sitemap Popular RF Forums REGISTER Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 07:29 PM
fallingblood Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Agnostic Theist
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 449
fallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open
Default Rabbi Ralph Messer

Anyone ever heard of this guy? He is coming to where I live, and I guess it has caused some problems. We don't have a big Jewish community here, but they seem to be upset that he would call him a Rabbi. So I would like to just know some background on him, and whether or not he should be considered a Rabbi.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Tarheeler Online!
Religion: Judaism
Title:Just Jewish

Frubals: 423
Tarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaledTarheeler experimented with frubals in college but never inhaled

It looks like he's running some sort of group that's combining Judaism with evangelical Christianity. My guess would be like Jim Bakker meets Jews for Jesus.

Simchat Torah Beit Midrash

I can see why they would be upset.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
outhouse Offline
Religion: atheisticly
Title:Devoted Member
Shield of 10,000 Thoughts: Awarded for contributing 10,000 posts - Issue reason: For 10,000 posts 

Frubals: 362
outhouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedlyouthouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedlyouthouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedlyouthouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedlyouthouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedlyouthouse warns that frubals have been known to explode unexpectedly

from what i can gather, its a money making opportunity.

he has allot of stuff for sale and hes a buisiness man if you get down to it.

in my opinion, hes not stupid he knows where big money lies and hes going after it. If it takes off. He will be worth billion's.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:23 PM
xkatz Online!
Religion: Judaism
Title:Liberal Traditionalist

Frubals: 318
xkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionxkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionxkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionxkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionxkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decisionxkatz tried fruballing the Parole Board, but in the end the goat & Jello incident drove their decision

I agree with outhouse, not only is he an evangelical, Messianic Jew (like Jews for Jesus), but also he appears to be a con-man.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Levite Online!
Religion: Jewish
Title:Higher and Higher
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 890
Levite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingblood View Post
Anyone ever heard of this guy? He is coming to where I live, and I guess it has caused some problems. We don't have a big Jewish community here, but they seem to be upset that he would call him a Rabbi. So I would like to just know some background on him, and whether or not he should be considered a Rabbi.
Ralph Messer's no more a rabbi than is my mom's cat. He's a particularly egregious Jew for Jesus minister from Colorado, and is notorious for trying to get young Jews to convert to Christianity under the guise of it somehow being "Jewish." He seems to think that taking the same old Protestantism and gussying it up with some Hebrew and a few nods toward Jewish ritual somehow makes it not so Christian.

Jews for Jesus are a fairly offensive bunch in general, and Messer, being quite outspoken and prominent (he appears all the time on Christian cable networks, and at Christian events. He even managed to somehow convince the North Dakota legislature to let him to their opening prayer) is a notably distasteful specimen.

I understand that he is also among the televangelist/Kabbalah Centre types who will sell you all kinds of religious services and products for outrageous sums, under the guise of ministry or mysticism. I have no direct knowledge of that, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Old 02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Zardoz Offline
Religion: Judaism, Ebionite
Title:Wonderful Wizard

Frubals: 190
Zardoz thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloZardoz thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloZardoz thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some JelloZardoz thinks frubals are the most fun you can have without a goat and some Jello

Every faith has it's bad apples... this guy is about as bad as it gets.

Needless to say, I reject everything he stands for.

"He who fights too long against dragons, becomes a dragon himself."
... Nietzsche.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:48 AM
brandon1934 Offline
Title:Freshman Member

Frubals: 11
brandon1934 will work for frubals

Quote:
and whether or not he should be considered a Rabbi.
Considered a rabbi by who? That's like asking if Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger should be considered a pope.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Levite Online!
Religion: Jewish
Title:Higher and Higher
Shield of Knowledge: Awarded for outstanding demonstration of high knowledge in a particular field - Issue reason:  Shield of The Ambassador: Awarded for being a true herald of a belief system - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 890
Levite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubalsLevite offers reskilling opportunities for unemployed frubals

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon1934 View Post
Considered a rabbi by who? That's like asking if Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger should be considered a pope.
No, it really isn't. Members of the Catholic church acknowledge as pope whoever is elected by the college of cardinals. In the present case, Joseph Ratzinger. Anyone not accepting him as the pope is, by the standards of the Catholic church, a heretic, and, in theory, is liable to excommunication from the Church. And that is well known to all.

But because of the movemental differences in Judaism that tend to confuse non-Jews, and the ways that most non-Jews don't really have any clear idea of what is and is not acceptable in Jewish thought, people who are not rabbis-- who, in fact, are not even Jewish-- are able to convince non-Jews that they have some sort of legitimate claim to the title of rabbi, or to the identity of being Jewish.

That's part of the reason that Jews for Jesus are so pernicious. They steal Jewish identity for themselves, cloaking their Christianity in it, and create false information amongst the Christian community that somehow it can be acceptable to be both Jewish and Christian at once. And even worse, they prey upon young and uneducated Jews, who may not fully comprehend what they are, and attempt to miseducate these naive youngsters to believe that apostasy is somehow Judaism. And because of the dearth of knowledge in the non-Jewish world about Judaism, and because of the education crisis amongst young Jews today, Jews for Jesus is often much more successful at their goals than would be a Catholic group who tried to deny the pope.
Old 02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
fallingblood Offline
Religion: Christian
Title:Agnostic Theist
Shield of Research: Awarded for meticulous attention to detail and comprehensive reading around a subject - Issue reason:  

Frubals: 449
fallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth openfallingblood gets a little nauseated when you chew your frubals with your mouth open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levite View Post
He even managed to somehow convince the North Dakota legislature to let him to their opening prayer
That is the big reason I was questioning this. I'm from North Dakota, and there was some major objection raised to this guy. I can see why.

I guess he and another evangelical Christian are remodeling an old Jewish temple here in my town (it hasn't been used by Jews since 1990 I believe. For some reason though, it has attracted the want of evangelical Christians ever since the Jewish community here sold it). I guess he will be doing some classes and the like.

The only other time I heard of this guy was last year when he appeared at my in-laws church. From what I heard from my mother-in-law, the guy seemed like a crack pot (he tried to claim that the passover in Exodus had something to do with Christianity. Specifically, he was saying that spreading the blood of the lamb on the door post was done in such a way that it made the cross. That in itself annoyed me because it is just ignorant). But I didn't know too much about him.
Old 02-08-2011, 07:53 PM
Ilisrum Offline
Religion: Athiest
Title:Sophmore Member

Frubals: 24
Ilisrum invested heavily in the foreign frubal economy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingblood View Post
Specifically, he was saying that spreading the blood of the lamb on the door post was done in such a way that it made the cross.
That just blew my mind!